• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

The MANtha watch.....

Rate this topic

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of you. 

Who knew a ******* anime would bring so many forum rascals together. 

You guys are all my bros.

Now to get back in the character as Vegeta I am the Prince of all Saiyans. Go to hell. Ken Holland for life. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of you. 

Who knew a ******* anime would bring so many forum rascals together. 

You guys are all my bros.

Now to get back in the character as Vegeta I am the Prince of all Saiyans. Go to hell. Ken Holland for life. 

it's the anime :blind:

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'll admit, outside of my kids watching it, I have no clue about it! BUT I'm down for a great theme for Avatar's! Plus I was getting bored of Yogi Guru! :lol:

Although the bear theme was pretty funny too!

Indeed, @TheXym is familiar to it for the same reasons 

Ok this got weird. Yes Mantha is on his way to being a star. So is Larkin. There is more on the way. Svechnikov is coming maybe yet this year and I firmly beleive that if Holland gets in gear that Rasmussen can be here next year. AA is coming and even a guy like Smith isn't far away. That could be 3 top pairs or a great top 6. It has all the needed parts: size, speed, skill, strength..... The only real thing missing is experience. Which will come.

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

Ok this got weird. Yes Mantha is on his way to being a star. So is Larkin. There is more on the way. Svechnikov is coming maybe yet this year and I firmly beleive that if Holland gets in gear that Rasmussen can be here next year. AA is coming and even a guy like Smith isn't far away. That could be 3 top pairs or a great top 6. It has all the needed parts: size, speed, skill, strength..... The only real thing missing is experience. Which will come.

Svech - Larkin - Mantha

AA - Rass- Smith

Goosebumps!

Mantha is a f***ing beast. He's going to be an elite winger in this league for a long time, in the mold of a Jamie Benn. Larkin has been good, but I wish he would start attacking the net. Too often he seems to skate around the perimeter, turn and throw a weak shot toward the net. Athanasiou has elite level skill, and can make something out of nothing, but he just needs to stop trying to do it all himself and use his line mates. I've never been that high on Svechnikov. He's off to a really rough start this season, but hopefully he turns it around quick. I still think he will be a top 6 winger, but probably not a legit top line winger. I wasn't happy with the Rasmussen pick, but he's impressed me since (in training camp / pre-season). He's not putting up the numbers I was hoping for so far this season in the W, but hopefully he ramps up the offensive here pretty soon. Either way, he seems to play a game that should translate well to the pro game. Hopefully he develops into a top 6 center. I absolutely loved the Smith pick, but to expect him to develop into anything more than a middle 6 winger is wishful thinking in my opinion. I see him as an Abdelkader type, with maybe a little more snarl. Can slot in anywhere in the lineup, but best suited as a 3rd line winger. Same goes for Bertuzzi. My bet is one becomes a 3rd line winger, the other, 4th line winger.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Mantha is a f***ing beast. He's going to be an elite winger in this league for a long time, in the mold of a Jamie Benn. Larkin has been good, but I wish he would start attacking the net. Too often he seems to skate around the perimeter, turn and throw a weak shot toward the net. Athanasiou has elite level skill, and can make something out of nothing, but he just needs to stop trying to do it all himself and use his line mates. I've never been that high on Svechnikov. He's off to a really rough start this season, but hopefully he turns it around quick. I still think he will be a top 6 winger, but probably not a legit top line winger. I wasn't happy with the Rasmussen pick, but he's impressed me since (in training camp / pre-season). He's not putting up the numbers I was hoping for so far this season in the W, but hopefully he ramps up the offensive here pretty soon. Either way, he seems to play a game that should translate well to the pro game. Hopefully he develops into a top 6 center. I absolutely loved the Smith pick, but to expect him to develop into anything more than a middle 6 winger is wishful thinking in my opinion. I see him as an Abdelkader type, with maybe a little more snarl. Can slot in anywhere in the lineup, but best suited as a 3rd line winger. Same goes for Bertuzzi. My bet is one becomes a 3rd line winger, the other, 4th line winger.

From @Kaaaaaahhhhhhhhnnnnnn

Detroit has won four of its past six. The young forwards are leading the way.

Anthony Mantha has taken over the team scoring lead with 16 points (eight goals, eight assists), after picking up eight points (including four goals) in the past six games. He logged a career-high 22:10 at Calgary, scoring a goal and setting up two others with brilliant passes.

Dylan Larkin, who has become more of a facilitator while playing center full-time, is second on the club with 15 points and tied for first in assists with Mike Green (13).

Martin Frk, who has moved up and down the lineup, has a goal in three consecutive games after going 10 games without a goal....

Yeah, Mantha is tha man. Really impressed with him lately. One thing is that he's been pulling off some great moves on defenders 1-on-1. Maybe it's just growing confidence, but we haven't seen as much of that from him. Also, he's stepping up his playmaking game - Just look at that set up for Nielsen last night!

image.png

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I mostly agree with these assessments. Not surprising, as we seem to agree on most things. :)

I've always believed Mantha has very real all-start potential. He's really starting to blossom this season, but Holland and Blashill would probably say he has to continue to grow and improve and find ever-higher levels of excellence...and I would agree with that. Teams aren't truly keying in on him yet, aren't gameplanning around shutting him down -- and they won't start doing so unless/until he has a big breakout season like Larkin did in his rookie campaign. So, even if he scores 30+ goals this season, he'll still have a lot to prove. It'll only open the door to the ultimate test, which is the challenge of scoring 30+ goals every year when you're a marked man on every single shift of every single game. The best of the best scorers are the ones who are guaranteed to put up a ton of points every season despite every player in the league actively wanting a piece of them. I would settle for Franzen 2.0, but I think if Mantha doesn't get complacent and/or suffocated by the attention and tight-checking of every team's best players (assuming he does enough to warrant such treatment), he can become one of the absolute best wingers in the league.

I'm with you on Larkin needing to attack the net more. At the same time, it seems pretty clear that he's trying to grow as a playmaker and establish himself as a dependable two-way top-six NHL centerman, so I'm ok with him backing off on the dagger thrusts at this point in his development.

AA is still trying to do too much on his own. I'd like to see him work the standard curl-back-and-pass into his zone entries more. Enter the zone with speed and force the D to back in, curl back along the wall and look to hit a speeding trailer with a pass. That's a high-level way of using speed to create space for yourself and your teammates. Being dangerously speedy isn't all about South-North play and getting around defensemen in one-on-one situations. I don't think AA is a stupid or selfish player, I think it's just a learning curve thing. He's used to being able to outskate people and deke them out, and he's used to that being enough to get the job done. At the NHL level, it isn't enough to get the job done. It took Datsyuk a few years to really put it all together.

Svechnikov has to be better than he's been so far this season. Simple as that. To be fair, though, he's only 21 and he only has one AHL season under his belt and he's coming off of what I strongly suspect was a concussion and the Griffins are kind of a mess right now. His ceiling remains very high, IMO. I was thrilled that we were able to draft him so late in the first round and I'm still thrilled that he's ours. I think he's going to become a very good top-six winger.

I've gone from being vehemently opposed to picking Rasmussen at #9 to being fully onboard the hype train. His training camp strongly suggests I was wrong and stupid to be so down on him. Like you, I'd like to see him putting up bigger numbers than the ones he's putting up this season, but I'm not sure that's in the cards, and I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. Blashill and Holland have both indicated that Rasmussen is pretty much expected to become a full-time Red Wing within the next two years. That indication (coming from the Detroit Red Wings), coupled with the fact that Rasmussen isn't tearing the WHL apart, leads me to believe the Wings don't see him becoming a high-scoring 1C. I think they picked him for the power play prowess and the shutdown potential. I honestly feel his point totals in a lower league where everyone is smaller than him and where he seems to have a somewhat constricting role as "big guy who goes to the net" isn't of much concern to the Wings' brass. I think they just want the power play prowess and the two-way potential. Zetterberg's in the twilight of his career and Nielsen's 33. I think the Wings sort of see Rasmussen, in the short term, as a quick-fix plugin to help shore up an anticipated talent hole at the center position. In the long term, I think they want him to be a Martin Hanzal, i.e. a really big, really physical, really solid two-way 2C who can play in all situations and be hard-matched against top talent.

Edited by Dabura