• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Oak

DoughJoe gets coverage on TSN/BarDown

Rate this topic

Welcome to The DoughJoe

http://doughjoedetroit.com/

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Red%2bWings%2bfans%2bare%2btrying%2bto%2bget%2bLittle%2bCaesars%2bArena%2bnicknamed%2b'The%2bDoughJoe'&id=592733

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/10/father_and_son_pushing_for_lit.html#comments

https://www.google.com/amp/detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/10/26/theres-a-new-entry-in-the-little-caesars-arena-nickname-debate/amp/?client=safari

There are no greater fans in professional sports than Red Wings fans; we are as passionate as they come about our Wings and the many hockey-rich traditions spread throughout the great city of Detroit. It’s no secret that the announcement of the Red Wings new facility, Little Caesars’ Arena, was “unenthusiastically” received by fans. We, like most true fans, felt the name did not fully capture the history and tradition of one of the NHL’s greatest franchises and one of America’s most resilient cities. This inspired us to get creative and take matters into our own hands. With Detroit’s new ‘facelift’ rapidly taking shape with the construction of District Detroit and the newly anticipated arena, we felt it was only right that the worthy people of Detroit, as well as, Red Wings players/coaches/staff, have a place they are proud to call home… Hence, the uncomplicated birth of “The DoughJoe.”

The inspiration for “The DoughJoe” is two-fold. First, we thought it was critically important to pay homage to the “Joe.” Joe Louis Arena, nicknamed “The Joe,” has been the celebrated home of the Detroit Red Wings since 1979. Joe Louis Arena is one of only two arenas in the NHL that doesn't have a corporate naming sponsor. Since hitting the ice at The Joe, the Red Wings have won four Stanley Cup Championships (1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008), and have clinched the playoffs in 25 consecutive seasons, the longest active streak in North American professional sports. Kind of a big deal! I think we speak for everyone when we say that the memories made at The Joe are irreplaceable and we are saddened to see it go. The DoughJoe is our shot at a “silver lining.”

Second, we still wanted to give a tip of the hat to Little Caesars and the Ilitch family for all they have done to make the Red Wings organization a model franchise and to develop amateur/youth hockey throughout the Detroit area. Little Caesars is one of the most recognized and respected organizations in amateur/youth hockey throughout North America. Mike and Marian Ilitch, owners of the Little Caesars Pizza chain, have been sponsoring hockey teams since 1968 and are a major reason for the club's success and thriving hockey culture that drives the Motor City. The Ilitch Family’s commitment to hockey at all levels is just another reason why Detroit is, and always will be, known as HOCKEYTOWN!

IMG_2427.JPG

Edited by Oak
New information

Mike and Marian Ilitch, owners of the Little Caesars Pizza chain, have been sponsoring hockey teams since 1968 and are a major reason for the club's success and thriving hockey culture that drives the Motor City. The Ilitch Family’s commitment to hockey at all levels is just another reason why Detroit is, and always will be, known as HOCKEYTOWN

Which is why I will be giving my money to them and not you...

Good luck on your new website, and respectfully, hope you decide to stick around here as a fan yourself and help better our community as well. I've always found that new promotions like this are better received from established members of forums and groups and want to become involved themselves.

Let's Go Wings!

2 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

Good luck on your new website, and respectfully, hope you decide to stick around here as a fan yourself and help better our community as well. I've always found that new promotions like this are better received from established members of forums and groups and want to become involved themselves.

Let's Go Wings!

Thanks. I have been a member for a long time under a different email. I have never posted, but read the threads daily. I have been a Wings fan since the days of Howe and the Olympia. My cousin, Al McLeod had a cup of coffee with the Wings before playing with Gordie and sons in Houston. My brother and I roadtripped at 16 and 14 during the blizzard of 78 to Houston and got to hang out with the team and meet the legend. I was a season ticket holder for years despite living in South Bend, IN. Lots of miles to take my kids to games. Thank you for the encouragement. I understand the caution; we are Wings lifers so we will, indeed, stick around. 

I see it as a travesty that the arena is not called the Gordie Howe arena. It is timely with his passing as well. Just the right way to go. But this world is not controlled by men wanting to name it that any more.

11 hours ago, e_prime said:

Howe's getting a bridge!!  ...but I agree an arena would be more appropriate!

Ya, once the bridge was announced I figured "The Gordie Howe" arena was pretty much going to be a no go. Maybe they can make a trade, call the bridge "The Little Ceasers Bridge" and call the arena "The Gordie Howe arena"....come on Holland, get on it!!! lol.

In all seriousness, I dont really like the idea of putting "the joe" in the name of the new arena. Either simply call it "The Joe Louis Arena" similar to what they did in NY with the new Yankees stadium, or go with something new.

On 10/27/2016 at 1:54 PM, Oak said:

IMG_2446.PNG

Is this legit? I find it very very hard to believe that more fans are behind the DoughJoe then Gordie Howe Arena, especially with Gordie's somewhat recent passing.

Or perhaps people just like it. It's not an attempt to rename the arena. It's a nickname. "Madhouse on Madison", "The Shark Tank", "The Joe". If you don't like it, that's fine, but to suggest that "voter fraud" is behind it is irresponsible.  Must be the election climate rubbing off  

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/10/26/theres-a-new-entry-in-the-little-caesars-arena-nickname-debate/#.WBEGSj2eaFo.twitter

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/red-wings-fans-already-have-amazing-nickname-for-their-new-arena-102816.amp.html?client=safari

2 hours ago, Oak said:

Or perhaps people just like it. It's not an attempt to rename the arena. It's a nickname. "Madhouse on Madison", "The Shark Tank", "The Joe". If you don't like it, that's fine, but to suggest that "voter fraud" is behind it is irresponsible.  Must be the election climate rubbing off  

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/10/26/theres-a-new-entry-in-the-little-caesars-arena-nickname-debate/#.WBEGSj2eaFo.twitter

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/red-wings-fans-already-have-amazing-nickname-for-their-new-arena-102816.amp.html?client=safari

I'm sorry you feel its irresponsible and please don't take it personally, but its a bit unreasonable to expect people to blindly accept results that are posted on a message board as 100% legitimate, especially when the results seem to be very far of from what the general consensus appears to be.

Big difference between someone possibly posting a fake poll (or posting with a very small sample size)  and the questioning of a national election.

Can you post the link to the results opposed to just a screenshot?

2 hours ago, Oak said:

As a nickname, it isn't bad.  I do strongly feel the arena should be named after Gordie, though.  Congrats on the press for your idea.

As far as my scripts comment, I don't care if it is or isn't.  If fans are dedicated enough to game the system established for an online vote, those who want to do so for a different candidate are also free to do so, especially if it wasn't prohibited.  The TSN POY voting was ridiculous in the amount of scripting done by several sides, but it was within the rules and it amused me to see the fan bases engaged (if I recall correctly, the were a large amount of Slovak fans scripting like mad for Tatar).  The online pollsters have ways to stop it if they want to.  I find it amusing.

16 minutes ago, TheXym said:

As a nickname, it isn't bad.  I do strongly feel the arena should be named after Gordie, though.  Congrats on the press for your idea.

As far as my scripts comment, I don't care if it is or isn't.  If fans are dedicated enough to game the system established for an online vote, those who want to do so for a different candidate are also free to do so, especially if it wasn't prohibited.  The TSN POY voting was ridiculous in the amount of scripting done by several sides, but it was within the rules and it amused me to see the fan bases engaged (if I recall correctly, the were a large amount of Slovak fans scripting like mad for Tatar).  The online pollsters have ways to stop it if they want to.  I find it amusing.

Is this the same thing that happened about a year or so ago when almost the entire Kansas City Royals lineup was voted as starters in the all-star game?