• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Pistons could play in LCA

Rate this topic

per The Malik report

Leadership teams representing Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and the Ilitch family have been talking to NBA and Detroit city officials over the past few weeks about two key issues as they try to finalize a historic deal to bring professional basketball back downtown, according to a person briefed on the discussions.

The Pistons could move in time for next season, the source said. But the deal isn’t quite at the finish line.

• The sides are researching what it would take to modify the still-under-construction Little Caesars Arena, which is being built for the Ilitch-owned Detroit Red Wings, to accommodate the requirements of an NBA team.
  • The Pistons also are considering potential downtown locations for business offices and a multimillion-dollar practice facility.

At the most senior level, Gores and Chris Ilitch, president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings, have directed their executive teams to work on a framework agreement that would permit the move, subject to approval by the NBA and city officials, the source said.

The two sides spent most of the summer working through details. The discussions have triggered speculation that an announcement could be imminent. But the person with knowledge of the negotiations cautioned that there is still a lot of work to do. A detailed agreement -- if it can be reached -- could be weeks away, the source said.

Full story

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/10/26/detroit-pistons-move-downtown/92770520/

36 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

1) how is this going to affect the quality of ice at the new arena

2) downtown Detroit is going to be busy as f*** between the red wings pistons lions tigers and all the concerts/plays that are happening within a two block radius

I am very nervous of this as I have my routine down.

I drive from Windsor to Detroit via the tunnel, I park at the parking garage one block away from Cobo for $10 which is NEVER packed unless the autoshow is going on. When I leave I am back to Windsor in about 20 min!

I feel that its going to be a nightmare parking/driving to LCA.

2 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

You can just take the tunnel bus. $10 round trip and you'll be home just as fast. that's what I do for every game 

That's what I used to do, but this is faster for me and the price is the same. I dont have to worry about getting to the Windsor Bus station at any particular time which can be tough for me with work. The tunnel bus is $10 each (there are two of us) so $20 total, or I pay $5 for toll each way and $10 for parking, also $20. I pretty much park 2min away from where the tunnel bus picks you up in Detroit and from the parking lot to Windsor its like 10min and I dont have to worry about waiting for the bus. I walk out of the Joe and get to Windsor in 20min.

13 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

that badge looks really cool. any 02'ers around here?

I joined in '02, but shortly after the Finals.  I have no idea what badges are or how to acquire though.

Regarding basketball, I have no issues with it.  It wouldn't negatively impact the ice.  The key is having the arena planned for hockey from day 1 vs planned for basketball and adjusted to fit hockey, that's when you'd be risking ice conditions.  It's difficult to try and fix flooring for ice after the fact.

11 hours ago, kliq said:

How is putting hardwood down for basketball going to effect the ice any more then putting something down for concerts, wrestling events etc.?

There's also a certain amount of time needed to properly cool everything down and sequentially freeze the surface to be playable.  Sometimes Ken and Mickey have pointed out how choppy the ice gets at other arenas when the Wings are playing the night after a basketball game or concert.

But who knows, maybe the technology has advanced enough to make this a nonissue.  Personally, I'd rather not risk it, particularly because I'm not a basketball fan and wouldn't be getting anything out of the Pistons being in LCA other than more traffic and potentially poorer ice conditions.

Edited by Echolalia

15 hours ago, Echolalia said:

howd you get that 2008 badge? I've been here since 07!

I noticed that too.  Haven't we won a few division titles and President trophies since I joined in 2007?  I want more stinking badges!     :nhl:

Oh and I don't want them to share with the Pistons because I'm selfish and like the idea of the Wings having their own arena (like they do now).  

Edited by GMRwings1983

I only would worry about quality of Ice on quick turn arounds... Pistons and Wings on the same night and such....

ps. I just wanted to post to see if I have a badge lol

EDIT: YAHOO I DO

Edited by Crashnburnluder
MY BADGE!!

20 hours ago, kliq said:

I am very nervous of this as I have my routine down.

I drive from Windsor to Detroit via the tunnel, I park at the parking garage one block away from Cobo for $10 which is NEVER packed unless the autoshow is going on. When I leave I am back to Windsor in about 20 min!

I feel that its going to be a nightmare parking/driving to LCA.

You could still park in that garage then take the People Mover to Grand Circus Park, walk a few blocks north and you're there.