• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

Who To Watch When Not Wingin' It

Rate this topic

So for my birthday this year, my wife not only got me the NHL package, but also a much bigger HDTV and i'm in hockey and gaming bliss. I'm finding that early in the season, as I always am, that i'm watching hockey regardless if the Wings are playing or not.

NHL fans, not just Wings fans, who are you watching besides our boys in red this season so far? Any other teams you are finding entertaining and are playing at an entertaining level?

I've been watching a lot of Florida Panthers hockey, they have a lot of great young talent in Trochek, Marchessault, and Jagr still doing his thing. They are a high energy squad and the games i've seen have been fast paced and fun to watch. 

The Rangers are another one that i've had fun watching, Pirri is a quality guy, and Vesey that they made such a big deal about in the offseason is coming into his own also. They are a fast, speedy squad, and it makes for a lot of good hockey. I watched their 5-2 W tonight against the bruised up Bruins. 

Also living in Tennessee, a couple co-workers are Preds fans and I get the local games here, and plan on catching the Wings when they visit here in February. 

Who is piquing your interest early this year? Any players or teams you are finding yourself watching when there is no Wings hockey on?

Happy Birthday, Mabus!     I will end up watching Rangers and Sabres games since they are local to me. (I also have Center Ice). I am also curious to see how Vesey pans out.  My best friend has two daughters living in Pittsburgh now, so I unfortunately will end up watching a couple Pens games with him (though I found a pro weight Zetterberg throwback jersey at a Plato's closet for 20 bucks so I picked it up for him trying to convert him).

Florida is going to be an intriguing team to watch with some of their young talent, I agree.   Sometimes if I have the spare time I might scout the next opponent on the Wings' schedule.  Part of me also wants to see Subban do well just to keep the Habs fans upset, though Weber seems to be doing his part to ease the sting of that trade.

Mabus -- Two years ago, I finally got "real" television after years without.  Prior to that I did A LOT of really bad streaming that was terribly frustrating or I would hit the bar to watch games (...sometimes problematic in a completely different way... anyway)

Initially I just had regular cable, but along with MSNBC, I had MSG network, as I was living in New York. I spent a lot of time with the Isles (love 'em) and Rags (hate 'em).                 

...neither the Devils nor Sabres gave me much interest at the time.  (The Devils still don't.)

I do still go out of my way to watch Isles games.  They were my "hometown" team when Detroit was still in the West.  Also, at the start it was also very easy to root for them because they were terribad and when they'd win it was a hell of a lot of fun. When they lost it was really easy to not really care about how they were doing because they weren't really my team.

Two years ago, I had Center Ice and watched entirely too much hockey.  Every night.  Every team. Flipping between games and not really watching ANY game all the way through. 

I'm back in Detroit now and relegated to MSNBC and FSD for the time being. Trying to figure out how to stream CBC because I'd like to watch more of the Jets and Oilers.  For now, I'll take what I can get, but I'm tending to watch/focus on whichever team seems to be "hot" just so I can see what's working for them and how different teams make their compliment of players work and matchup against other teams.  Knowing how the league works, how other teams operate, and how they play on the ice has become part of my everyday hockey fandom.  Wings still matter the most over everyone else, but they're not my end-all/be-all of hockey.

Edited by e_prime

I try to watch the Sharks as much as possible. I've liked them almost as long as I liked the Wings. I think me being a little kid and liking sharks had to do with it. But the last few years they've been real fun to watch, especially Burns and Pavelski. I like watching the Flames young players as well.

None. At all. Only watch Wings games due to time constraints. 

I will be watching some Edmonton games if they keep staying high in the standings. That would signal the true arrival of Mcjesus. 

Before the WCoH started in the off-season, I was dying to watch some hockey. I saw that the KHL started already, so I watched a couple games to see how Datsyuk was doing. On his off-days I still wanted to watch hockey, so I picked a game at random to see how it was. That led me to throw on a game pretty much daily in the background while I work. It's much more entertaining than I thought it'd be, and fun to find out which former NHLers and Wings prospects play on what teams.

None. But I watch all 82 regular Wings games and all playoff's.

When it gets to watch non-Wings game I apply following rule: choose what team I hate most of two and root for opposition. This rule has exceptions: ovie, pens, quacks, bruins and guppies - never ever rooting for those phucks on skates.

I only get Wild games since they're the local team.

They're a fun team to watch and Dub had his 2nd consecutive shutout tonight.  I also like rooting for them because they play a lot of teams I don't like. :)  The enemy of my enemy kind of thing.

I'm really big on Haula, although he's out injured right now.  They have some up and coming kids like Erickson Ek, who is looking good, so it's not just Koivu, Parise, and old folks. 

.Their games vs Chicago get heated since Chi has knocked them out of the playoffs so much.

Would also like to add it's usually worth watching any game between two teams fighting for playoff spots toward the end of the regular season. 

And then I try to watch as many playoff games as possible.. because playoff hockey. :P

The only team I religiously watch is the Wings (do not / will not miss a game...) I watch quite a few Leafs games because my fiancé and all my buddies are sad, sad people...

I probably can't say much, since my go-to NHL team after the Wings is the Oilers. I've always been somewhat of a fan of the Oil because I lived in Alberta for a couple years and seen my first ever NHL game at Rexall, against the Wings of course. It's nice to see them finally become relevant again with McDavid and co.

But for the most part, if I'm not watching Red Wing hockey, I'm watching Griffins hockey...

I don't follow any other team but, whenever possible, love to watch any game available. Edmonton seems interesting to watch this season. And I don't mind tuning in to some Flyers game every now and then.

Is it me or do most teams broadcast, aside from FSD and a few other exceptions, seem kinda bland or boring. I know it might be that I'm bias and have a sweet spot, uhm phrasing, for Ken and Mickey, but as I watch them, don't really get that emotion that our guys put into the game.

1 hour ago, BadgerBob said:

I wish I could watch Griffins games! I can't ever find how to watch them.

worst thing is that some games are at the same time as Wings games.