• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

What Happens to the Defense Once Kronwall Returns?

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

I'm very concerned over what Holland will do when Kronwall returns.  Sproul better not be removed and we better not waive anybody.  Furthermore, AA better not be sent down to make room.

The third goalie we're carrying will be sent back to gr 

We're not carrying three goalies. 

The only concern with Kronwall coming back is who will sit. My pick would be Marchenko and just sub Kronwall in with Ericsson. We won't have to worry about sending a player down / waiving / trading anyone until Jurco is ready to come back in a couple weeks. And that's assuming there aren't any other injuries... I'm still not convinced Kronwall will be healthy at that time. We'll have to wait and see...

If Kronwall comes back at 100%, and Marchenko comes out of the lineup, I think it makes the team better. I just fear he will come back at 70-80% and make the team worse. And as long as he is deemed healthy enough to play by team doctors, he will be in the lineup every night. Even if he is making the team noticeably worse, I'm not sure Blashill would have the balls to "healthy scratch" him...

I'm guessing Holland is thinking by the time Jurco comes back, someone else will be hurt. Probability does favor that as at any point in the season a team usually has a few injuries. Either way, if its up to me I waive Miller or Ott and keep XO on the roster.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

We're not carrying three goalies. 

The only concern with Kronwall coming back is who will sit. My pick would be Marchenko and just sub Kronwall in with Ericsson. We won't have to worry about sending a player down / waiving / trading anyone until Jurco is ready to come back in a couple weeks. And that's assuming there aren't any other injuries... I'm still not convinced Kronwall will be healthy at that time. We'll have to wait and see...

You're right, I just checked. I didn't remember us sending him back down 

16 hours ago, kliq said:

Well Datsyuk's situation was unique because Arizona doesn't have to actually pay Datsyuk, but I think you are right. Anything Detroit pays I believe would be considered "retained salary".

I just mean that a team like Arizona, who struggles to make money, would have jumped at an opportunity for another team to give them money to help their own bottom line. 

Kronwall isn't a very good defensive player anymore. he will help out offensively. If he is healthy he will play. Right or wrong that will happen. TBH I would play the 3 young guys, DD and then rotate Kronwall, Green and E. But that is just me....... Kornwall, Green, and E are niot part of our future. They are only ties to our distant and decaying past. 

4 hours ago, Richdg said:

Kronwall isn't a very good defensive player anymore. he will help out offensively. If he is healthy he will play. Right or wrong that will happen. TBH I would play the 3 young guys, DD and then rotate Kronwall, Green and E. But that is just me....... Kornwall, Green, and E are niot part of our future. They are only ties to our distant and decaying past. 

Really lol? Green has been on this team for just over 1 year. I think you are being a bit over the top.

I dont disagree with the main part of your point though. IF management/coaching staff feel Marchenko, Sproul, and XO are the future, they should be playing. If they feel they are just stop gaps until younger guys are ready, then I dont care if they play or not.

Holland (and his coaching staff) is maybe trying somehow, but his bad decisions from 12/13 and 13/14 are still hunting him down. 

Imo main question is not Kronwall´s case, right now the main question is - What to do with Smith?

Couple of good guys down there, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Russo... management should start - I mean really right now - thinking how to give them a real NHL shot and don´t be in the same situation like with Sproul/XO (blocked to no-play).

On 10/31/2016 at 9:22 AM, Juklitz said:

Holland (and his coaching staff) is maybe trying somehow, but his bad decisions from 12/13 and 13/14 are still hunting him down. 

Imo main question is not Kronwall´s case, right now the main question is - What to do with Smith?

Couple of good guys down there, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Russo... management should start - I mean really right now - thinking how to give them a real NHL shot and don´t be in the same situation like with Sproul/XO (blocked to no-play).

You're right about Russo, but the first two guys are a few years away, IMO.

I know Hronek has some encouraging numbers, but it's his first year in the OHL. Once he's healthy, I'd like to see what Saarijarvi can do on a team that isn't a total dumpster fire. Either way, neither of them is waiver-eligible until the 2020-21 season. Kronwall and Ericsson are off the books by then.

I'd like to see both of them add some size/strength, too. Yes, it means  a lot less than it did in the past, but they still need to add some bulk to deal with puck battles, taking a hit, etc. I'm not saying they have to go crazy, but they both weigh around 165-170 lbs right now.

True that...

My point with Smith was about real need of identify-2-implement new Ds and the fact, that we´re obviously missing some reasonable way how drive this process. Both Sproul and XO were drafted in 2011, at this time, our D situation was way better than now - only short-terms, no anchors. Now I can see Kroner, Ericsson and DeKe with long terms remaining, Green also for next year. Only good point I can see is the fact Marchenko has fortunately only 2yrs contract instead Kindl´s 4yrs terms back there and Ken was  - due to cap issues - not able to pay 4M to Q again. 

So, in the past our situation was better and more suitable for giving a shot for younger guys, but we failed with Smith. Then we failed again with XO and Sproul, guys are now waiver eligible and we obviously don´t know what to do with them and Blashill is proceeding with - like ITs are callling it - production test with no backup. 

So, what will be next? Once again we won´t give young guys a shot and won´t be really able to identify their caliber and upside and be ok with Saarijarvi/Hronek/Sambrook/whoever benched in 2021 and call it an upgrade? 

I´m pointing to the fact, that our 2016 draft was somehow ... perspective... and while we´re not going to outsource top D role, something else must be changed and that´s the reason I´m asking for Smith as this is the first step organization must proceed with. 

Don´t like examples, but see Flyers implementing Provorov with Morin and Sahneim in backlog (Ghost is extraordinary exempt). 

10 hours ago, Juklitz said:

True that...

My point with Smith was about real need of identify-2-implement new Ds and the fact, that we´re obviously missing some reasonable way how drive this process. Both Sproul and XO were drafted in 2011, at this time, our D situation was way better than now - only short-terms, no anchors. Now I can see Kroner, Ericsson and DeKe with long terms remaining, Green also for next year. Only good point I can see is the fact Marchenko has fortunately only 2yrs contract instead Kindl´s 4yrs terms back there and Ken was  - due to cap issues - not able to pay 4M to Q again. 

So, in the past our situation was better and more suitable for giving a shot for younger guys, but we failed with Smith. Then we failed again with XO and Sproul, guys are now waiver eligible and we obviously don´t know what to do with them and Blashill is proceeding with - like ITs are callling it - production test with no backup. 

So, what will be next? Once again we won´t give young guys a shot and won´t be really able to identify their caliber and upside and be ok with Saarijarvi/Hronek/Sambrook/whoever benched in 2021 and call it an upgrade? 

I´m pointing to the fact, that our 2016 draft was somehow ... perspective... and while we´re not going to outsource top D role, something else must be changed and that´s the reason I´m asking for Smith as this is the first step organization must proceed with. 

Don´t like examples, but see Flyers implementing Provorov with Morin and Sahneim in backlog (Ghost is extraordinary exempt). 

Right. I agree that the team was in a better position to groom young defenders back then, and I think Holland basically panicked. They never had a ton of faith in Kindl/Smith, and probably felt as if they weren't progressing/able to fill-in the shoes of the veterans, and so Holland clung to the vets even tighter. Unless he finds the talent elsewhere, I don't think he's going to be able to fall-back on the Kronwalls and Ericssons, because Smith, Kindl, etc. never developed into the players the organization hoped they would.

Pushing off of this idea, I don't think it's necessarily set in stone that the young guys won't receive a shot, but Wings' management has to be willing to let the young guys drown. There definitely has to be a shift in the thinking, but I almost think (maybe hope is more accurate) that Holland's hand is going to be forced. Yes, DeKeyser and Ericsson will still be here when 2020-21 comes around, but I don't really see that secondary wave of players after them. I don't think Green is going to stick around, and I'm not sold on the idea that management views Smith as a top-four defender. I wouldn't be shocked to see them part ways, unless they trust Smith and he puts together a solid season.

I do see the similarities with Philly's group of defenders, with guys like Streit, Andy MacDonald and Nick Schultz "blocking" the way. Although, I think their young defensemen have a lot more upside than the Wings'.

The rotation shouldn't even include Sproul / Ouellet in my opinion. It should be Marchenko / Ericsson.

I'd go with...

Smith - Green

DeKeyser - Sproul

Ouellet - Ericsson / Marchenko / Kronwall

Man, do we ever need an upgrade on D...