• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheXym

TSN article calls the OMG line worst in the NHL.

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

This is weird to me. I was one of the first to criticize this line when I first saw Ott on it and how they played. Lately though, I thought they looked pretty good. I had no idea the numbers were so against them.

Same here. I said before we played a single game this season that this would be the worst line assembled league wide, but I've actually been somewhat impressed with them thus far. Ott has been better than I expected, Glendening has been decent, and while Miller has been the worst of the three, he has two goals... I still think we could put together a MUCH better 4th line, but they haven't been as bad as I thought they'd be...

Nyquist-Nielsen-Abdelkader

Tatar-Zetterberg-Larkin (with Larkin and Z splitting time at center)

Mantha-AA-Sheahan playing protected minutes

Ott-Helm-Glendening

Once Vanek is back put him with Nielsen, Abby with AA, and Sheahan in Ott's spot.  Three lines that can score and a checking line more capable than what they roll out now.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Nyquist-Nielsen-Abdelkader

Tatar-Zetterberg-Larkin (with Larkin and Z splitting time at center)

Mantha-AA-Sheahan playing protected minutes

Ott-Helm-Glendening

Once Vanek is back put him with Nielsen, Abby with AA, and Sheahan in Ott's spot.  Three lines that can score and a checking line more capable than what they roll out now.

Switch Tatar and Nyquist, put AA in Sheahans spot and switch Shea with Helm

Edited by MrazekFanBoy

Well they're corsi is really bad because it's usually below team average and now that our entire team bad, theirs looks even worse. 

I also don't think they get as many hard matchups anymore, I'm pretty sure I see Nielsen's line more often against the top lines. But that point is moot since they're still +3, +2 and even. It could be their stretch of games where Miller scored a couple goals that buffed their stats. The question is, is that sustainable? Because Miller has been a career minus guy. Same with Ott. 

I like Ott btw. I just don't like the combination of these three players. It's going to lead to issues in the long run most likely. 

Edited by kickazz

On 31/10/2016 at 2:21 PM, TheXym said:

The article includes some pretty bleak statistical evidence.  While I don't believe the stats necessarily tell the whole story 100% of the time

You should take an introductory statistics class. 

Nobody in the hockey analytics world has ever claimed that any statistic is 100% applicable in any given situation, time, place, etc. It's not an "all or nothing" effetc

Edited by shocky2002

I don't think the OMG line is the worst line in the NHL. First off its a small sample size, and secondly I think matchups really should be accountant for (Is it? I'm not too educated on Corsi). If you have these guys going up against top lines, and other 4th lines going up against opposing teams 4th lines, of course the OMG line are going to have weaker corsi.

With that being said, I do not like this line and I want them broken up. I would like the 4th line to be Sheahan-Glendenning-Bertuzzi or Frk or Jurco etc.

IMO the role of both Ott and Miller should be press box or their isn't room the AHL. Play a game here or there when a player is hurt, or if the coaching staff want to bench a guy to send a message. I don't want either of these two playing in the majority of our games, or at least not both.

Matchups usually tend to even out over the course of a season. The home coach has the advantage of last change, and with 41 games at home and 41 on the road, it makes sense that it would even out. If your trying to get your top line out against weaker lines / defense pairs at home, then chances are when you're on the road, the opposing coach is trying to get his best defensive line / defence pair out against your same top line. Same applies to your 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines...

I agree though, that Miller and Ott should be replaced by younger / better players. The insistence to have these guys in the lineup every night, constantly getting hemmed in their own zone is very frustration to watch...

On 31/10/2016 at 7:10 PM, Euro_Twins said:

Lol. frk and pulk both have now been waived by the teams that claimed them. but I guess if you say they're that good... they must be 

I knew they would end up being waived. They're not NHL calibre players. I laughed when Fletcher said Pulks was going to start the season on the first line. Dumbass,

On October 31, 2016 at 6:44 PM, DickieDunn said:

But but but..... Miller and G Money are the bestest ok guys EVER and Ott is awesome because he pisses guys off!

But what promising young players were waived for them? I just saw Callahan Frk and Pulk.

Edited by TheXym
Reply was locked, couldn't add my text

I thought the article was interesting for a conversation topic.  Sorry about my iPad autocorrecting THN to TSN and not catching it I'm the title.  I'm also sorry that an attempt to be diplomatic in my post when mentioning the article to try to encourage discussion seemed to have implied a lack of comprehension in statistics.  Sorry, my college's alma mater wasn't "Under the Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, shocking though it may be.

I think the usage of the line needs to be changed, and one must also look at the defense pairing on ice with them.   That also goes both ways when evaluating defense pairs.  The stats are pretty damning, but don't tell the whole story, IMHO.  I like the sandpaper element and passion Ott has, but was not a fan of the spear on  Chara.  As I type this, Ott just won a fight against Manning in the Philly game.  Drew is a great shot blocker, and if a line is going to lose possession, that is a good safety valve to have (though maintaining possession and playing in the opponent's end is much better).  Glendening has had some good shutdown games in the past, and he could be in an extended funk.

Faceoff wins are a huge factor in the possession battle, and that definitely needs work.  I also saw some articles in the Wings press saying they evaluate possession differently than Corsi.  Some of that may be spin, but who knows, I just skimmed them rather than trying to access their proprietary stats.

As far as the waiving, I think the subsequent waiving of Pullks and Frk vindicate Holland's decision to waive, and with the recovery of Frk, no harm no foul.

4 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

The 4th line should be Lesnar, Glendenning, McGrattan.

Lol, but the Holland haters would probably expect him to sign Goldberg over Lesnar saying Lesnar is too young.

5 hours ago, kliq said:

I don't think the OMG line is the worst line in the NHL. First off its a small sample size, and secondly I think matchups really should be accountant for (Is it? I'm not too educated on Corsi). If you have these guys going up against top lines, and other 4th lines going up against opposing teams 4th lines, of course the OMG line are going to have weaker corsi.

With that being said, I do not like this line and I want them broken up. I would like the 4th line to be Sheahan-Glendenning-Bertuzzi or Frk or Jurco etc.

IMO the role of both Ott and Miller should be press box or their isn't room the AHL. Play a game here or there when a player is hurt, or if the coaching staff want to bench a guy to send a message. I don't want either of these two playing in the majority of our games, or at least not both.

Well that's the thing though. If we use the "they get put up against tough match ups that's why their corsi is so low" stance then my response to that would be... "Let's not use them  then". Because clearly having them against top lines isn't working since the top lines are in our zone most of the time and you want to do whatever you can to keep them out of our zone.

Used to be that Zetterberg/Datsyuk were put up against the opposing teams top lines and had corsi's of like 60% or more. But since we no longer have the 2008 version of those two anymore , we're resorted to putting the OMG line against top lines and their corsi is whatever that article stated it to be (30%? can't view article on phone right now) meaning they spend 70% (assuming that corsi i listed) of the time defending... Not good. 

Edited by kickazz

12 hours ago, kickazz said:

Well that's the thing though. If we use the "they get put up against tough match ups that's why their corsi is so low" stance then my response to that would be... Let's not use them. Because clearly having them against top lines isn't working since the top lines are in our zone most of the time and you want to do whatever you can to keep them out of our zone.

something something real good something something heavy on the puck something something we feel they're a real good line something something we want to get better every day something something real good something something they give us a different dimension something something we feel we have a real good balance something something stick-on-puck something something real good something something real good something something...

Edited by Dabura

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Hard work - talent = career minor league player

Let me fix that for you:

Hard work - talent (or more realistically, a declining skill-set)  = 3 to 5 years of Ken Holland extending your contract past it's expiration date for "veteran leadership role".

14 hours ago, Internet.Unknown said:

Likewise, WiiM claimed Pulk's NHL career would span 10 years.

wiim.jpg

So, you took the time to blackout your username in the tweets, but left @daveindefiance in the replies..?

<insert old lady voice> That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works..

hair.gif

@wingingitmotown @detroithockey96 Guess we'll just have to see what kind of career Pulk has in the NHL

7 hours ago, FireCaptain said:

So, you took the time to blackout your username in the tweets, but left @daveindefiance in the replies..?

<insert old lady voice> That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works..

hair.gif

@wingingitmotown @detroithockey96 Guess we'll just have to see what kind of career Pulk has in the NHL

Haha, that's awesome!