• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

On 11/5/2016 at 8:17 PM, LeftWinger said:

LIke I said, the "kids" back in the early 90's were played every night and were allowed to lose and grow and learn to play together....that was when Devellano and Murray were here, then Bowman.  We're seeing how much Holland values his "kids" and we're seeing what Blashill thinks of icing a team of kids and letting them learn and grow. I don't care what your pay check is, if you aren't playing up to professional status, you sit. Sorry, this is a business and fans pay YUGE amounts of cash to see a team play well, win or lose, the want to see a competitive team, not this dump and chase, clear off the boards, throw to an open wing and ***** foot passes around instead of shooting type game we are seeing. This is garbage hockey, and the garbage coaching is hindering the development of the like of Larkin, AA, Sproul, etc...

I seriously thought we were getting a good coach that would change the philosophy here....nope.

I agree, but Mantha on the 4th line won't.  We all know there has to be a piano mover on every flipping line so there is no way Mantha would help us if he is inserted on the 4th because Abby and Sheahan have to be top 6.  Then Blashill will say how much Mantha isn't working hard enough and how he didn't like 10 minutes of his play...all while outplaying most of the team.

I have to agree with this point of view. Leadership in the office and on the bench is weak. There is no vision, no strategy, no meritocracy, and no accountability. I think we have all worked for lousy bosses and clueless leaders and, while I obviously don't have the inside scoop, there are more than enough symptoms and warning signs. Blashill's reaction to AA is a good one. Last year he put out an absurd defense for his keeping his minutes down despite his production and I see his most recent comments much less about motivating a young player than covering his a$$ (CYA) and not being remotely able to consider he was wrong. Unlike Blashill, AA responded like a pro and won our game with Philly. Holland did a similar petty CYA job in throwing Mantha under the bus in the press last year. Players admit mistakes and bad games all the time. I have yet to hear a single admission of anything from Blashill or Holland.

I think it's a safe assumption that both AA and Mantha will think about how they have been scapegoated when making future decisions on where they want to play and it won't be Detroit, an organization that used to inspire a lot of loyalty, teamwork, and sacrifice among players of all ages. Blashill won't last, and his demise is inevitable. He can't go soon enough for me. Until he does, this team and its fans will be dragged down by his incompetence and failure to be a true leader worthy of genuine respect.  

It's unfair to compare anyone to Bowman, but if anyone responds that Bowman also called out people, I would argue he did it in a very calculating way to get the most from a player and not to deflect any blame from his own decisions. It is subtle, but it's the difference between a leader/boss you can't respect or trust, and one you will practically kill yourself to do everything you can to impress and gain back his respect. 

Edited by lwing

37 minutes ago, lwing said:

I have to agree with this point of view. Leadership in the office and on the bench is weak. There is no vision, no strategy, no meritocracy, and no accountability. I think we have all worked for lousy bosses and clueless leaders and, while I obviously don't have the inside scoop, there are more than enough symptoms and warning signs. Blashill's reaction to AA is a good one. Last year he put out an absurd defense for his keeping his minutes down despite his production and I see his most recent comments much less about motivating a young player than covering his a$$ (CYA) and not being remotely able to consider he was wrong. Unlike Blashill, AA responded like a pro and won our game with Philly. Holland did a similar petty CYA job in throwing Mantha under the bus in the press last year. Players admit mistakes and bad games all the time. I have yet to hear a single admission of anything from Blashill or Holland.

I think it's a safe assumption that both AA and Mantha will think about how they have been scapegoated when making future decisions on where they want to play and it won't be Detroit, an organization that used to inspire a lot of loyalty, teamwork, and sacrifice among players of all ages. Blashill won't last, and his demise is inevitable. He can't go soon enough for me. Until he does, this team and its fans will be dragged down by his incompetence and failure to be a true leader worthy of genuine respect.  

It's unfair to compare anyone to Bowman, but if anyone responds that Bowman also called out people, I would argue he did it in a very calculating way to get the most from a player and not to deflect any blame from his own decisions. It is subtle, but it's the difference between a leader/boss you can't respect or trust, and one you will practically kill yourself to do everything you can to impress and gain back his respect. 

Most employees THINK that they know more then their boss and that they are more intelligent and can do a better job, but until they are in that exact position that their boss is in and understand all the variables and different factors that go into the position, they really dont fully understand,

I find that often, employees typically have a very one dimensional way of looking at things, and I think fans often times have the exact same approach.

F***ing Blashill...

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Tatar

Larkin - Nielsen - Glendening

Nyquist - Helm - Mantha

Miller - Sheahan - Miller / Ott

In what world does Glendening get promoted to 2nd line to play with Larkin and Nielsen? Blashill's world apparently...

59 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

F***ing Blashill...

Nyquist - Helm - Mantha

In what world does Glendening get promoted to 2nd line to play with Larkin and Nielsen? Blashill's world apparently...

I've officially lost hope with Blashill, to be honest. This was kind of the last straw. Hard to have faith in a guy that thinks Glendenning is a top six solution.

Blashill needs to be fired. He has no idea what to do with this team. In what world does a coach play LUKE GLENDENING on the 2nd line over Nyquist or Mantha?! Glendening is probably the worst offensive player I have ever seen. No hands, can never shoot the puck well, and has many 2 on 1s where all he does is go to the net and try some stupid backhand move that never works. If I was Kenny Holland and saw this, I would immedietely go down to the ice and fire Blashill on the spot. We have a lot of firepower on this team and have been saying it for some time, but I think Ron WIlson would be a great coach to utilize the offense of this team.

When the team is struggling to score goals and generate offense, BUMP UP GLENDENING BABY!

Seriously, is it that much to ask for the coach to play the skill players? Stop scapegoating, Z should be moved to the third line. Larkin, Nyquist, and Mantha need to be moved up, not Glendening.

Nobody gets a chance to play offense because nobody can win battles. You want Nyquist and Tatar on the same line? The team needs to be waaaaay stronger on the puck. Montreal is our krytonite. They're just as fast as us but work their asses off every shift and are aggressive. They are a very well coached team that follows the gameplan

12 minutes ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

When the team is struggling to score goals and generate offense, BUMP UP GLENDENING BABY!

Seriously, is it that much to ask for the coach to play the skill players? Stop scapegoating, Z should be moved to the third line. Larkin, Nyquist, and Mantha need to be moved up, not Glendening.

I would have agreed with this in October but frankly Z has been the most consistent producer in November. 6 points in 6 games tied for team lead now. And his line is matching up much better than everyone else is. He's also been one of our better defensive forwards on the top 6. Him and Darren Helm deserve some credit here, they have both been matching opponent lines pretty well. Our 2nd line is concerning. Ultimately everyone needs to chip in and win battles. Tatar has to be better. Vanek needs to be back and Larkin needs to dish out more assists and Nielsen needs to not be a minus player... He's -7!  Even worse is Riley Sheahan with -8 and 3 points in 16 games.. Sheesh... 

Edited by kickazz

If I were as bad as Blash and Holland at my job, I'd have been replaced long ago. Though to be fair, I would like to see what Blash could do without the weight of the playoff streak on his shoulders. I have little doubt that is the big factor forcing him into playing it overly safe by filling the lineup with defensive plugs. 

19 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

If I were as bad as Blash and Holland at my job, I'd have been replaced long ago. Though to be fair, I would like to see what Blash could do without the weight of the playoff streak on his shoulders. I have little doubt that is the big factor forcing him into playing it overly safe by filling the lineup with defensive plugs. 

I think its fair to say the same applies to Holland. After what happened to Dave Dombrowski I think its pretty clear what Mike Illitch feels about re-building. I think re-building on the fly is the worst he would go.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

F***ing Blashill...

Nyquist - Helm - Mantha

Seems more of a demotion for Larkin and Neilson, and maybe an attempt to correct the problem those two have had on defense. I'd hope that third line would play as much or more than the 2nd, with Nyquist and Mantha still getting ample PP time.

Is one of those Miller's supposed to be Bertuzzi? Or did he go back to GR?

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, second Miller should be Bertuzzi. My bad. 

Regardless of whether you want to view it as a promotion for Glendening or demotion for Nielsen / Larkin, Glendening has no business playing on that line...

It's not like we're loaded with great scoring options atm. If we were scratching Vanek and AA to put Glendening there, I'd be right with you. Given what we have available though...

Given what we have available though... there are MUCH better options...

Like which guy? If there were so many better options Blashill would use them. It's not a secret that this team needed a sniper since an eternity, Mantha could!become that guy but first he needs NHL experience and not get sent down and only called up when the injury bug happens

AA has speed but lacks size and his defensive game needs work. Nielsen oh well let's wait and see but so far it's sadly exactly as advertised

I honestly fail to see where all these "hidden gems" are? It is what it is and Blashill has to work with it. Will he make mistakes of course the guy is in his second year, so that's to be expected. But the guy responsible for this roster should face some not so nice questions for his reluctance to do what's necessary which is play the kids and try to trade the veterans.

Also name me a guy who would walk away from 30 million remaining on his contract so the hope that Z retires soon isn't a realistic one...he will retire as a Redwing

45 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Like which guy? If there were so many better options Blashill would use them. It's not a secret that this team needed a sniper since an eternity, Mantha could!become that guy but first he needs NHL experience and not get sent down and only called up when the injury bug happens

AA has speed but lacks size and his defensive game needs work. Nielsen oh well let's wait and see but so far it's sadly exactly as advertised

I honestly fail to see where all these "hidden gems" are? It is what it is and Blashill has to work with it. Will he make mistakes of course the guy is in his second year, so that's to be expected. But the guy responsible for this roster should face some not so nice questions for his reluctance to do what's necessary which is play the kids and try to trade the veterans.

Also name me a guy who would walk away from 30 million remaining on his contract so the hope that Z retires soon isn't a realistic one...he will retire as a Redwing

Frank....all krsmith said was that there were better options at 2nd line wing then Glendenning, which there are. There was NOTHING said about hidden gems, nothing said about Zetterberg retiring, nothing said about Holland, nothing said about rebuilding. 

What better options?

Nyquist-Helm-Mantha is already a decent scoring line. Swap one of them for Glendening I don't think it does anything. Make the 2nd line (if indeed they are the 2nd) more skilled while making the 3rd less.

Sheahan is better, but wasn't everyone just bitching about him being in a scoring role a few games ago? If things aren't working, try something different. Wasn't that more or less the refrain? 

I think some people are just freaking out seeing Glendening's name above Mantha's, without really thinking about it.