• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

My biggest issue with Blashill is his player usage and his obsession with defensive players like Glendening. I don't think that would change under Gallant. My choice would be a coach that likes to play a fast paced, offensive style game. Play the kids. I'd rather lose with the kids, getting big minutes and playing in every situation than sit them in favour of Ott / Miller or Ericsson / Lashoff... Whoever is coaching this team needs to coach for the future, not the now...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/12/red_wings_wont_compromise_defe.html#incart_river_index

What we're doing isn't working.  We're going to keep doing it though because maybe it will start working.  Excuse me, I need to go lick the windows in my car now, they taste like cherry.  -Jeff Trashill.

4 hours ago, wings_fanatic said:

Mrazek gets a win and now stupid blashill goes back to howard. Mrazek didnt even play bad most the goals were not his fault at all but yet blashill punishes him. Someone fire this tool.

You can't look at every game a goalie plays as "punishment" for the other goalie. Howard is playing because like it or not, he is the starter and Mrazek is the backup. If Mrazek wants the job back, he has the opportunity to take it back just like Jimmy did this season.

Also, wins are not the best marker to evaluate a goalie. He still did let in 4 goals which on most nights would equal a loss.

19 minutes ago, kliq said:

You can't look at every game a goalie plays as "punishment" for the other goalie. Howard is playing because like it or not, he is the starter and Mrazek is the backup. If Mrazek wants the job back, he has the opportunity to take it back just like Jimmy did this season.

Also, wins are not the best marker to evaluate a goalie. He still did let in 4 goals which on most nights would equal a loss.

Who has our last 5 wins? Like it or not the team plays better in front of petr and therefore we are able to win games. Also your point is invalid about the starter. At the beginning of the year petr was our starter and yet howard got starts that should have been petr's. Blashill is just a moron and is inconsistent.

12 minutes ago, wings_fanatic said:

Who has our last 5 wins? Like it or not the team plays better in front of petr and therefore we are able to win games. Also your point is invalid about the starter. At the beginning of the year petr was our starter and yet howard got starts that should have been petr's. Blashill is just a moron and is inconsistent.

Wins are not a better indicator of a goalies performance then GAA and save %. If Mrazek is getting more goal support, that is something that will likely even out as the sample size get greater. Goalies cant score goals.

Despite saying my point is invalid, you are wrong and here are actual stats to back that up.

Mrazek started the year as the bonafide starter. Mrazek started 4 of our first 5 games but let in 12 goals (ie. played bad). 12 games into the season, Mrazek started in 9 games to Jimmy's 3 which is 75% (more then normal for a starter) and in those games Mrazek continued to not play well in comparison to Jimmy.

Mrazek lost the starting job because Jimmy outplayed him. If he outplays Jimmy, he can get it back.

Blashill has actually been pretty consistent with goalies. I'm guessing you just don't like Jimmy and are ignoring the stats. I cant blame a coach for playing the clearly better playing goalie when a coaches mandate is to win games.

If you want to bash Blashill for his other dumb moves, go for it. But this is not one of them.

28 minutes ago, wings_fanatic said:

Mrazek was bad in half of those games, Howard was excellent. He took the job back, that is now becoming apparent. You can't rely on a goalie who is allowing an average of 3-4+ goals per game and is nearly guaranteed to allow a goal on every 9 shots. Last game Mrazek wasn't good either, it took a rare offensive surge to get him the win, yet you keep insisting on crediting Mrazek with these wins when he's not earning them, the team is. Howard has been better than the team in front of him in nearly every game he's played. The team has been better in front of Mrazek because it's generally an early come from behind situation with early goals being scored. 

Throwing insults at Blashill is explaining nothing, he's doing what any coach would do with the current goalie situation, starting the better goaltender. 

Lundqvist was just benched for 4 games in favor of his backup who was playing lights out. Lundqvist was brought back in and put out a shutout, and 3 goals in his next 2 games for 2 wins. That's how a starter makes a statement, not coming back in, playing below average and allowing 4.

If Mrazek has played as well as Howard has, he would be the undisputed starter, but he hasn't and now he isn't. He needs to step up and give them no other choice but make him the must start goalie on a regular basis.

He played like crap and whether people like it or not, so far Howard has been much better. In fact he has been the Wings best player so far.

Also this is the Blashill not the Mrazek thread

On 12/19/2016 at 7:10 PM, frankgrimes said:

He played like crap and whether people like it or not, so far Howard has been much better. In fact he has been the Wings best player so far.

Also this is the Blashill not the Mrazek thread

True. Howard has been the wings MVP so far this year. The only other in contention is probs Hank. Funny how the old timers dominate and the young hot new kids cant live up to the hype. But thats all blashills fault so far... obviously. Very interesting.

True. Howard has been the wings MVP so far this year. The only other in contention is probs Hank. Funny how the old timers dominate and the young hot new kids cant live up to the hype. But thats all blashills fault so far... obviously. Very interesting.

wouldn't say so because it's the same a lot of times, kid comes into the league, does great and some people are starting to get unrealistic expectations.

Part of Larkin struggling is other teams are much more prepared and aware of him and he is transitioning to center.

Tatar, Goose are what they are 2 solid players who given their draft position turned out be real good for the Wings.

7 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

wouldn't say so because it's the same a lot of times, kid comes into the league, does great and some people are starting to get unrealistic expectations.

Part of Larkin struggling is other teams are much more prepared and aware of him and he is transitioning to center.

Tatar, Goose are what they are 2 solid players who given their draft position turned out be real good for the Wings.

Dont know what ur talking about. All 3 of those guys suck this year. And they bring nothing else to the table when theyre not scoring.

On 11/7/2016 at 0:10 PM, Andy Pred 48 said:

We have 24 games from now till the end of the year, and with our current play I can see us only winning 6 of these. Thus meaning the playoffs will be beyond us and the streak ended. We will have a new coach in place for 2017, and hopefully a new outlook on how to get the best from the roster we have. 

Well I guess I gotta eat humble pie , with one game to go we've won 7 !! And 6 of those went to OT or SO . It's not a case of me being a negative fan more of a realistic one who can see the overall picture in what is going to be our worst league finish in many a year. Losing to the bottom feeder team last night at home sums up our season. The streak is over, only the totally blind rose tinted spectacle fans will argue it isn't. Blashill has been unlucky with the players he has lost due to injury, but he hasn't helped himself with his constant fetish of changing lines with the personnel he does have. I am not sure if Kenny has the minerals to make a change mind season , and if he did whose available out there at this moment in time to take over? Todd is doing a good job down in GR and it would be unfair on them (GR) to bring him up just to steady a sinking ship and disturb their season, maybe an appointment at seasons end instead would be better for all concerned, give Blashill the rest of this year to get some sort of structured hockey implemented. Whatever happens , I hope we don't stand pat going into the new era at our new rink. After years of being spoilt be watching so many great players wear the wingedwheel this has been hard to watch so far, and unless we unearth a new Russian 5 overnight (if only) it's not going to get much better. Blashill needs to start to play to win, take the shackles off the skilled players we do have put them in spots to perform at their best and stop setting the team up not to lose, it hasn't worked so far and we can't get any lower in the standings . 

Ps, Blash just put AA Larks and Mantha on the 3rd and let them roll, they are going to be the future , let them learn it together.

6 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Well I guess I gotta eat humble pie , with one game to go we've won 7 !! And 6 of those went to OT or SO . It's not a case of me being a negative fan more of a realistic one who can see the overall picture in what is going to be our worst league finish in many a year. Losing to the bottom feeder team last night at home sums up our season. The streak is over, only the totally blind rose tinted spectacle fans will argue it isn't. Blashill has been unlucky with the players he has lost due to injury, but he hasn't helped himself with his constant fetish of changing lines with the personnel he does have. I am not sure if Kenny has the minerals to make a change mind season , and if he did whose available out there at this moment in time to take over? Todd is doing a good job down in GR and it would be unfair on them (GR) to bring him up just to steady a sinking ship and disturb their season, maybe an appointment at seasons end instead would be better for all concerned, give Blashill the rest of this year to get some sort of structured hockey implemented. Whatever happens , I hope we don't stand pat going into the new era at our new rink. After years of being spoilt be watching so many great players wear the wingedwheel this has been hard to watch so far, and unless we unearth a new Russian 5 overnight (if only) it's not going to get much better. Blashill needs to start to play to win, take the shackles off the skilled players we do have put them in spots to perform at their best and stop setting the team up not to lose, it hasn't worked so far and we can't get any lower in the standings . 

Ps, Blash just put AA Larks and Mantha on the 3rd and let them roll, they are going to be the future , let them learn it together.

Nah, but we'll put Glendenning on the power play so he can take a penalty right off the face off. Real gud. 

4 hours ago, wings_fanatic said:

Hire patrick roy.

Honestly it's not a bad idea. He would be a great candidate. The only problem is the whole pride issue. But it's a business and if you're willing to put rivalries aside and want to get work done then why not. 

Edited by kickazz

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

While Roy might do some good - I'd rather see Gallant.

Lets be real here...Holland is more likely to give Blashill a 4 year contract extension rather than removing him.

Heheheh we'll see if you're right and if Blashill sticks around a few years. I predict he'll be gone if we don't get any better. 

Why do people keep bringing up Gallant? I really don't see him being an upgrade over Blashill in the main area of concern - player usage. From everything I've seen and heard on him, he prefers grit / vets over skill / kids, which is the main reason Florida fired him. They were going more towards analytics and Gallant is more into "process"... which is coincidentally Blashill's favorite word... Sounds like it would be much of the same to me...

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why do people keep bringing up Gallant? I really don't see him being an upgrade over Blashill in the main area of concern - player usage. From everything I've seen and heard on him, he prefers grit / vets over skill / kids, which is the main reason Florida fired him. They were going more towards analytics and Gallant is more into "process"... which is coincidentally Blashill's favorite word... Sounds like it would be much of the same to me...

He used to be a red wing

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs