• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's bizarre. With that connection, you would think he'd play the kids more in more important situations...unless someone else controls the icetime from on the bench...

The towel guy? No way man. I heard he looks up to all the players. 

Just wanted to point out Blashills usage of forwards according to TOI/G

1. Zetterberg (far and away the heaviest minutes)
2. Nielsen (as 2nd line center has to play big minutes so I get it)
3. Nyquist
4. Tatar
5. Mantha
6. Larkin
7. Abdelkader
8. Helm
9. Vanek (getting less minutes than Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Abby, and Helm = insane) 
10. Sheahan
11. Glendening
12. Athansiou (Our best 5v5 scorer is this low = insane)
13. Miller
14. Ott
14. Jurco

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Looks like the top half is heavy in the high paid guys, even though others are better....hmmmmmm...did you mention illuminati?

As it should be. Theoretically, salary is an indicator of value to the team.

Larkin and Mantha are up there though. The only low paid player not getting minutes despite obvious talent is AA

Blash will be back next season, but hopefully he'll have a deeper roster to work with thereby if we are struggling again by Xmas a change will be made. 

Wholesale changes could hurt the organisation more than help it but some will need to be made but which who knows? 

7 hours ago, amato said:

Kronwall gets to make his decision on what? Expansion draft, possible trade, LTIRetirement? 

I'm thinking retirement.  Holland will probably inform him that he doesn't plan on using a protection on him and then Kronwall will decide if he wants to retire or not and be exposed to Vegas.

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm thinking retirement.  Holland will probably inform him that he doesn't plan on using a protection on him and then Kronwall will decide if he wants to retire or not and be exposed to Vegas.

would vegas take him??  I would think not but who knows. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't think there's any chance he straight-up retires and I don't think there's any chance Vegas takes him. IMO, it's going to be LTIRetirement. The only question is when.

9 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Blash will be back next season, but hopefully he'll have a deeper roster to work with thereby if we are struggling again by Xmas a change will be made. 

Wholesale changes could hurt the organisation more than help it but some will need to be made but which who knows? 

Keeping Blashill is going to hurt plenty, and if Holland really believes the crap he's said lately, keeping him will hurt, too.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't think there's any chance he straight-up retires and I don't think there's any chance Vegas takes him. IMO, it's going to be LTIRetirement. The only question is when.

Would they be able to convince the league he's legitimately hurt, though?

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I'm thinking there's a good possibility they won't have to fudge anything, since, as far as we know, his knee(s) is/are genuinely messed up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play the first half of next season, get sidelined with knee issues, and slip into LTIRetirement.

These posts are a bit old but bear responding to...

On 1/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, greenrebellion said:

You guys really think that if you hire (insert coach of your choice) that this roster is a strong playoff contender...Or a playoff contender at all?  I worry about your talent evaluation skills in that case. This team has no first line and no top D pairing! 

This team, based on the roster, should 100% be a playoff team. I'm not saying that they are a cup contender or should even get out of the first round, but based on the talent we had this season, we should absolutely at least be a playoff team or at least fighting for a spot. I think our poor goaltending had a huge impact and if Howard had been healthy all year we'd be much closer to the playoffs, if not in - but Blashill is getting nothing out of this team and his system is clearly not geared towards the NHL success. His tactics may have worked in the AHL but they are clearly not working at all at this level. The Red Wings before him were a puck possession team, now we just wack and chip at the puck and hope it goes somewhere we want.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:00 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How many of you said "Babcocks voice is stale. Time to move on. This Blashill guy looks shiny new and exciting? I welcome a change"

Seemed like it was 90% of wings fans at the time.

Glad you all finally realized that Babs was and is the most dominant coach in the league. Just remember ownership allowed a rival hockey club to steal our coach... cause trashill 

Believing that Babcock's voice is stale and that Blashill is a bad coach are not mutually exclusive by any means. It's well known that a coach's voice will over time lose impact on a team, and that was, without a doubt, happening to the Red Wings. Why do you think Babcock was one of the longest coaches to stay with one team? Because coaches don't last that long and for this exact reason. We needed change, but just because we needed change doesn't mean that any random person will mean an improvement. Blashill is not a good coach, but that doesn't mean we should have kept Babs.

Edited by Z and D for the C

7 minutes ago, Z and D for the C said:

These posts are a bit old but bear responding to...

This team, based on the roster, should 100% be a playoff team. I'm not saying that they are a cup contender or should even get out of the first round, but based on the talent we had this season, we should absolutely at least be a playoff team or at least fighting for a spot. I think our poor goaltending had a huge impact and if Howard had been healthy all year we'd be much closer to the playoffs, if not in - but Blashill is getting nothing out of this team and his system is clearly not geared towards the NHL success. His tactics may have worked in the AHL but they are clearly not working at all at this level. The Red Wings before him were a puck possession team, now we just wack and chip at the puck and hope it goes somewhere we want.

Believing that Babcock's voice is stale and that Blashill is a bad coach are not mutually exclusive by any means. It's well known that a coach's voice will over time lose impact on a team, and that was, without a doubt, happening to the Red Wings. Why do you think Babcock was one of the longest coaches to stay with one team? Because coaches don't last that long and for this exact reason. We needed change, but just because we needed change doesn't mean that any random person will mean an improvement. Blashill is not a good coach, but that doesn't mean we should have kept Babs.

Do you think the last 2 seasons would have gone better or worse with Babs behind the bench?

I dont buy into the stale theory at all, and I would argue that it is not common 'knowledge'. It's more akin to a myth passed around by fans. You are constantly adding new players and personalties to lockerrooms every season, and subtracting others. This league has a good amount of turnover. Most coaches are fired because of losing seasons, which is only partially in a coaches hands. They can only play the hand theyre given. And most coaches never only coach one team because its almost impossible to maintain a winning record over a long period time, despite coaching prowess.

The fact of the matter is Babcock moved on from us, not us from him. Much like Bowman in his career. We merely opted for plan B.

The stale voice excuses is just that, an excuse for losing hockeys best coach.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm thinking there's a good possibility they won't have to fudge anything, since, as far as we know, his knee(s) is/are genuinely messed up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play the first half of next season, get sidelined with knee issues, and slip into LTIRetirement.

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

10 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Agreed.

The NHLPA has fought hard for LTIR so it's highly unlikely for Kronwall to just 'hang'em up', and not collect what he had signed for.

I've said this before but I don't think a lot of people understand what LTIRetirement is. And because we have seen it with Franzen, we may be overestimating how it actually works.

It doesn't look as though there is a single player on LTIR'd for "knee issues". I am certain you have to be on the verge of handicap or terrible future outlook (Franzen, Pronger, Dupuis etc) in health to be LTIR'd. Can't just go on LTIR because you have chronic knee pain. 

Here's a list of all the NHL injured players. Almost everyone that has been LTIR'd has either a brain issue (severe concussion), spinal cord issue, blood clots, vertebral issue, or severe neck or back surgery. These are all life-threatening conditions. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nhl/all/

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you think the last 2 seasons would have gone better or worse with Babs behind the bench?

Better, but again, that's not the point. We're second to last in the East, saying we'd be "better" isn't saying a whole lot. We could continue the steady decline under Babcock or try to change something up to get a spark back. Obviously it's not working with Blashill but hindsight is 20/20

Edited by Z and D for the C

12 minutes ago, Z and D for the C said:

Better, but again, that's not the point. We're second to last in the East, saying we'd be "better" isn't saying a whole lot. We could continue the steady decline under Babcock or try to change something up to get a spark back. Obviously it's not working with Blashill but hindsight is 20/20

But that's my whole point. We're better with Babs. It's hard not to be, he's a top 5 coach and we lost him. Hindsight is 20/20 but I've on on been on this warpath since before Babs was gone, which is why I have that crappy told ya so attitude about it.

What irks is me is the whole "meh we needed to change coaches anyway" attitude, as if he suddenly "went stale" and we needed to ditch him regardless.

We did not fire him. He went to the market and chose a new team. A now better team with a brighter future. Babcock did not go stale. The Red Wings went stale. 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

I've said this before but I don't think a lot of people understand what LTIRetirement is. And because we have seen it with Franzen, we may be overestimating how it actually works.

It doesn't look as though there is a single player on LTIR'd for "knee issues". I am certain you have to be on the verge of handicap or terrible future outlook (Franzen, Pronger, Dupuis etc) in health to be LTIR'd. Can't just go on LTIR because you have chronic knee pain. 

Here's a list of all the NHL injured players. Almost everyone that has been LTIR'd has either a brain issue (severe concussion), spinal cord issue, blood clots, vertebral issue, or severe neck or back surgery. These are all life-threatening conditions. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nhl/all/

Like I said, my understanding is that his knee situation is not good. As in, it's a problem that warrants corrective surgery but Kronwall's said no to the surgery and now he's probably doing long-term damage, possibly of the handicapping variety. If the problem becomes a big enough hindrance to his ability to play (and I'm assuming it soon will), the Wings' physician will have to declare Kronwall unfit to play for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games. That gets him on LTIR. If I understand correctly, stretching that indefinitely (LTIRetirement) requires the physician to monitor Kronwall and refuse to declare him fit to play. If the league doesn't like it, they can issue a formal challenge and Kronwall would be checked out by a neutral physician. As I'm operating under the assumption that Kronwall has a genuinely debilitating physical ailment that really should've been addressed through surgery a year or two ago, I assume the neutral physician would say, "Yeah, dude's unfit to play."

That's my take on it. But, admittedly, I'm no CBA expert, and I don't know exactly what Kronwall's knee situation really is. So I suppose I'm sort of talking out of my ass here.