• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, kliq said:

Blashill was just named Head Coach of Team USA at the Worlds

http://www.tsn.ca/wings-blashill-to-coach-usa-at-worlds-1.721627

This is one of those things that makes me think... are we all just schmucks who don't know what the hell they're on about? Because people "in the know" seem to think this guy is pretty decent and maybe just needs time/a squad built for him.

Or is he just an average coach who is somehow getting chances for no reason (other than everyone else is in the playoffs)?

30 minutes ago, Wing Across The Pond said:

This is one of those things that makes me think... are we all just schmucks who don't know what the hell they're on about? Because people "in the know" seem to think this guy is pretty decent and maybe just needs time/a squad built for him.

Or is he just an average coach who is somehow getting chances for no reason (other than everyone else is in the playoffs)?

Assuming Team USA, wants an American coach...  the options are slim.

Most likely they want an NHL coach, familiar with many of the likely players.

The coach's team must be out of the playoffs.

AND The coach just want to take on the job...  what other options out there fit the first 3 criteria...  off the top, Bylsma, Hynes, Rowe

4 minutes ago, mackel said:

Assuming Team USA, wants an American coach...  the options are slim.

Most likely they want an NHL coach, familiar with many of the likely players.

The coach's team must be out of the playoffs.

AND The coach just want to take on the job...  what other options out there fit the first 3 criteria...  off the top, Bylsma, Hynes, Rowe

They want a good ol Michigan boy... they got more heart/will to win

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 4/8/2017 at 6:50 PM, Buppy said:

Don't try to twist s*** around. I'm not saying Franzen or anyone else can play, in practical terms. I was pointing out that "can't" is a subjective term. Or maybe more accurate to say "play" is a subjective term. How much pain is enough to reach "can't play" territory? How much risk of further damage? Why would you think that you or the league are the ones to answer that question over Kronwall and his doctor?

And you're not just drawing a line between Kronwall and Franzen/Pronger. You're drawing a line between Kronwall and literally every single other player for which LTIR has been claimed, even in cases where you admittedly don't know the details. You started with a premise that Kronwall is somehow ineligible for LTIR, and you're just going to stick with it even in the face of several examples of players in a similar situation. 

But forget all that. Let's just focus on the facts. Kronwall does have a bona-fide injury. If he were to decide it's too much to play through, why do you think the league would suddenly pick him to say, "nope, your suffering isn't enough"?

No twisting. Call it subjective or whatever but he can't/isn't playing. Due to his severe injury history. 

Kronwall's situation isn't similar to the one example your pointed out, objectively speaking. I'd say PVD's example was closer to it with Ohlund. Really reaching with the "several examples" phrase. 

The league won't tell him your "suffering isn't enough". Stop making it out as if I'm saying the league is going to corner him; evidently you don't realize your way of twisting arguments either, it's subtle but it's there. Kronwall has options. Not getting paid and retiring, bought out. It's been done before. LTIR for him is a grey area as opposed to some of the more severely injured players. It was a grey area for Ohlund and Robidas too. If it wasn't, we and the hockey press wouldn't have spoken of it that way. 

You're banking your argument on the fact that a couple of players got away with the loophole, so Kronwall has a right to it as well. Even if said players went on LTIR, it doesn't mean the situation wasn't questionable or future situations may end up becoming something that are questionable or risky. IMO this situation would be tricky from the franchise's stand point. It likely won't be a straight shot decision (like you seem to be making it out to be), they would likely have to seriously consider if there would be any backlash for attempting the LTIR. 

Besides, news today from Kronwall says he's not looking into retirement at all. So that settles that for now. As I've said he's going to do everything in his power to finish that contract. 

Edited by kickazz

13 minutes ago, kickazz said:

No twisting. Call it subjective or whatever but he can't/isn't playing. Due to his severe injury history. 

Kronwall's situation isn't similar to the one example your pointed out, objectively speaking. I'd say PVD's example was closer to it with Ohlund. Really reaching with the "several examples" phrase. 

The league won't tell him your "suffering isn't enough". Stop acting like LTIR is the only way out. Kronwall has options. Not getting paid and retiring, bought out. LTIR for him is a grey area as opposed to some of the more severely injured players. It was a grey area for Ohlund and Robidas too. If it wasn't, we and the hockey press wouldn't have spoken of it that way. 

Maybe all the comparisons are just confusing things, so let's simplify.

1. Kronwall has a legitimate knee injury. That is a fact. It has been widely reported that his injured knee is not going to get better on its own.

2. LTIR is not a disability benefit. It has nothing at all to do with retirement. It is a cap exemption for players who will be on the injured list for at least 10 games/24 days. That's it. There is nothing in the LTIR clause saying a player must be permanently disabled, or at severe risk to his future well being. Kronwall was in fact on the injured list twice this season for his injury. While we didn't claim any LTIR exemption, it had nothing to do with the legitimacy of the injury. You can only claim LTIR if you actually use it, and we couldn't make use of it.

So if you are saying that Kronwall would not be eligible for LTIR if he decides he can't play, then you are in fact saying that either a doctor or the league would say his injury isn't severe enough. There is nothing at all in league history that suggests that is even a remote possibility. Can you name even one example where the league has even tried to dispute an LTIR claim?

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 2:36 PM, LeftWinger said:

I say Hitch goes back to Dallas, Gallant to Vegas, Sutter to Vancouver.

..although, it'd be sweet to at least get Sutter here as an A. I don't think he'd take the job, unless all HC jobs were already filled. He'd be a perfect replacement if Blas hill doesn't make it past next season. 

Right on one so far!

On 4/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, LeftWinger said:

I say Hitch goes back to Dallas, Gallant to Vegas, Sutter to Vancouver.

..although, it'd be sweet to at least get Sutter here as an A. I don't think he'd take the job, unless all HC jobs were already filled. He'd be a perfect replacement if Blas hill doesn't make it past next season. 

Dang! 2 for 2 so far! Hitch to Dallas and Gallant to Vegas!

Come on Vancouver!

i think im done with this team. management ruined a nice team. blashill isnt developing s***. hes losing. holland just tosses away players that actually help to help other teams. bust in drafting. sign s*** players to long term big money no trade clause contracts. if i were larkin id want out

17 minutes ago, brett said:

i think im done with this team. management ruined a nice team. blashill isnt developing s***. hes losing. holland just tosses away players that actually help to help other teams. bust in drafting. sign s*** players to long term big money no trade clause contracts. if i were larkin id want out

What has Blashill done to earn an EXTENSION other than coaching a bottom 5 team and halting progress of basically every young or prime player on our team except Larkin?