• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/4 GDT : Winnipeg Jets 5, at Red Wings 3

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

As of now? Yeah probably Howard. And the stats don't lie. 

His stats in three whole games? If you want to use cushioned backup goaltender stats to back up why he should start, fine. He's doing well without the pressure of being the #1 on his shoulders. But i'll look at his performance over the past few years when he had shot after shot at regaining his starting spot, and lost it over and over. Last season he was barely a .500 goalie. Maybe this season would be different, but the stats don't lie that he most likely can't handle the job anymore. I'm not against him starting a few games in a row, but I think the pressure would get to him again and he'd be in the backup spot again before long.

10 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

His stats in three whole games? If you want to use cushioned backup goaltender stats to back up why he should start, fine. He's doing well without the pressure of being the #1 on his shoulders. But i'll look at his performance over the past few years when he had shot after shot at regaining his starting spot, and lost it over and over. Last season he was barely a .500 goalie. Maybe this season would be different, but the stats don't lie that he most likely can't handle the job anymore. I'm not against him starting a few games in a row, but I think the pressure would get to him again and he'd be in the backup spot again before long.

Cushioned backup goaltender stats? Weren't you complaining about how Howard is playing more than the average backup the other day? :D 

15 minutes ago, DRW Dominance said:

Mrazek is the problem with this team. If he isn't absolutely stealing a game we aren't going to win. 

I bet you were happy with him when he won the 6th straight in the long shootout against the Blues. No goalie should have to stand on their head all the time. Why even have defence then. Just ice three forwards and a goaltender. Can't really say any of the goals tonight were his fault entirely. People are so quick to blame our goalie when we have the worst D corps in the league with Jonathan Errorsson the third highest paid on it. He wouldn't even be in the NHL on most other teams.

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Cushioned backup goaltender stats? Weren't you complaining about how Howard is playing more than the average backup the other day? :D 

Yeah, maybe a game more than others around the league at this point. Still nothing to go on really. Either way, I think people have too much confidence in Howard based off a small sample size this season compared to what he's done in the past few. There's a reason he's been the borderline starter/backup for awhile now. But I guess ya never know...

21 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Yeah, maybe a game more than others around the league at this point. Still nothing to go on really. Either way, I think people have too much confidence in Howard based off a small sample size this season compared to what he's done in the past few. There's a reason he's been the borderline starter/backup for awhile now. But I guess ya never know...

I think its a combination of having a lot of confidence in Howard (who, in the opportunities he's been given, has outperformed the rest of the league) and a complete lack of confidence in Mrazek (who's struggled to be a difference-maker in the opportunities he's been given).  Frankly I think the decision to start leaning on Howard more heavily at this point is an obvious one.

Edited by Echolalia

I'm mad at Holland, but I'm more mad at Blashill for the same game plan every night despite the team losing and looking like s***. I'm done with Ericsson. I'm done with Smith. Play XO and Sproul from here on out. The forward combos are hot garbage. Enough with the "every line needs a piano mover" bulls***. Could you imagine any team try to keep up with a line of AA, Helm and Larkin? At least put Nyquist and Helm back together, ever since he split them up they've returned to their former inept selves. I think Blashill is the problem moreso than Holland.

You have to play the hot hand imo. But Howard's been benched a  while now and probably wouldn't be as good since he's been sitting. That ship might have sailed. 

Watching these losses.. having one elite guy could make all the difference. And by elite I mean a superstar player

Edited by kickazz

We can blame the defense because well they are complete s*** but our forwards have been just as s***. When your best forward is reclamation project Tomas Vanek thats a problem. Abdelkader gets a long term contract and now is on pace for a grand 24 points. Larkin is still in his 2nd half slump from last year. Nielsen is in no way earning that contract right now. Sure faceoffs and defensive play is nice but he was brought in to produce as well and hes not doing it. Has a team worst -8. Tatar is playing himself into have no trade value. Sheahan supposedly does good stuff other than scoring according to Blash but I still fail to see anything that he can do exceptionally well.  Hank is a push so far. Hes been pretty good the last 5 games but was horrible the games before. I attribute that to mostly having no preseason. To put it simply sure defense is the teams biggest glaring need but they are more than just a dman or two away from a playoff push. If only they had a big bodied guy in the minors scoring goals....

I honestly don't think I'm going to watch next game unless some change is made. Mrazek is off. Yes the Wings are playing s***, but he has literally stolen nothing lately, and even went so far as to opening his five hole for a puck that otherwise wouldn't have gone in. Put Howard in, do something with the ******* lines (need to do something with Sheahan, he's doing nothing). If nothing changes I'm going to at least need a break from these games. Obviously I could never boycott the wings entirely.

9 hours ago, chaps80 said:

I bet you were happy with him when he won the 6th straight in the long shootout against the Blues. No goalie should have to stand on their head all the time. Why even have defence then. Just ice three forwards and a goaltender. Can't really say any of the goals tonight were his fault entirely. People are so quick to blame our goalie when we have the worst D corps in the league with Jonathan Errorsson the third highest paid on it. He wouldn't even be in the NHL on most other teams.

came out wrong.....more like the team sucks balls and can't win unless mrazek steals the game.....hence mrazek's fault, lol

5 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I honestly don't think I'm going to watch next game unless some change is made. Mrazek is off. Yes the Wings are playing s***, but he has literally stolen nothing lately, and even went so far as to opening his five hole for a puck that otherwise wouldn't have gone in. Put Howard in, do something with the ******* lines (need to do something with Sheahan, he's doing nothing). If nothing changes I'm going to at least need a break from these games. Obviously I could never boycott the wings entirely.

sheahan's probably about to get a 12 year contract extension like the rest of them

Now that Ericsson has regressed back to his norm, there should be no issues swapping XO/Sproul in for Marchenko/E. Our breakout was really strong when Sproul was in, and all Ouellet does is never make mistakes. Let's give these guys minutes and see what they can give us. DK is getting killed all over the ice because the coach is asking too much of him. Kronner looked pretty good for his first game back in forever. Why not run: Smith-Green Dekeyser-Kronwall Ouellet-Sproul?

I mean right now the defence can't get much worse, so having 6 D that skate and break out pretty well would help. The coach has this strange idea that you must have forwards/defence specifically for PK. All six of the guys I want playing can PK, you don't need Ericsson and Marchenko for that. This was a problem last year too, we couldn't score or create offense to save our lives and the coach is worried about blocking shots and penalty killing. Yes, those things are important. But they don't ******* matter if you can't score and control the goddamn puck.

Mrazek isn't the only reason we've been losing, but he's sure not helping us win and Howard, in every game he's played, has. give how 60-70% of the starts for a couple weeks and see how that goes.

Also, he need to stack our top 6, we don'e have the skill at offense to spread across three lines which Blash looks like he's trying to do. Have a third line of Abby, Z and Helm and stack players with some actual offensive ability (sorry, Z is just too slow at this point) and try to get some goals. We need Vanek back.

This team in general is pretty trash. Even during that 6 game win streak, I had a hard time to bring myself to watch them. If our goalies aren't stealing games, we aren't winning. It's not like we have a Price stealing games for us.

Our "log jammed" of forwards we have is a joke. We have at least bottom 5 if not the worst top 6 in NHL. We don't have a single player to be excited about, present or future out side of Larkin, who is still suspect. Our D, pretty much everything I said about our forward can be said but, it's 2x worst. Somehow since Kronwall we've yet to DRAFT Dman worth a damn. Our D has been in trouble since Brain Rafalski retied, best thing we've came up with is sign Green. Mean while,  Chychrun looking pretty decent could of at least played a top 4 role right now. We had a chance, that at one point was what a top 5 pick for half of last season and trade it away to make cap space for Stamkos, honestly why would he ever of wanted to come here. Only people I know that honestly thought Stamkos would come to DET were wearing blinders. Which leads to having Van/Nel/Ott, great. Yes I would of rather eaten Datz contact and drafted Chychrun, long before any hindsight

I don't even want to get into management and coaching. Since Holland did almost nothing to try and get Brent Burns when he was traded from MIN, he has lost any touch he's had. Babs knew this, was even pissed off about it in the media. If I had to guess, was one of the big reasons why he left. Top FA's don't want to be in DET and Holland can't make a trade happen if his life depended on it.

Not even tanking can fix this team. Only way this team can be fixed, if have a GM that can somehow fleece someone in a trade, convinced top FA's they aren't wasting there time here in DET. That can make the tough trade. Along with a Coach that can stand on his own two feet. We have none of that.

So here we are, with a broken ass team, that spent up to the cap, with no future. But at least well get 89-92 points, maybe 7th seed if we are lucky. Gotta keep that streak alive at least until the new arena is done. Anything can happen in the playoffs right??

Edited by xault

5 hours ago, Z and D for the C said:

Mrazek isn't the only reason we've been losing, but he's sure not helping us win and Howard, in every game he's played, has. give how 60-70% of the starts for a couple weeks and see how that goes.

Also, he need to stack our top 6, we don'e have the skill at offense to spread across three lines which Blash looks like he's trying to do. Have a third line of Abby, Z and Helm and stack players with some actual offensive ability (sorry, Z is just too slow at this point) and try to get some goals. We need Vanek back.

Howard's played 2 games.

2 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Howard's played 2 games.

He's started 3, but that's what i'm saying...put Howard in, but I can't see him continuing to allow one goal or less a game if he gets a good string of starts. Most of the reason he is playing well i think is because he hasn't had to play much, and he knows Mrazek is going to get the blame if the team isn't winning. Or I could be wrong and he keeps up his play and takes the number 1 job back..but it's extremely hard to have confidence in that happening due to what we've seen from him the past few years.

1 hour ago, GoalieManPat said:

Lets be honest. Chych had 0% chance of ever making the roster with Holland running the show. Its a mans league remember.

Of course he wouldn't. Errorsson and broken down Kronwall play before XO and Sproul already. Chych wouldn't get a chance for a few years. I knew Holland got fleeced on the Dats salary dump by missing out on Chych (he probably wouldn't have picked him anyways though lol) and getting a D that may never make the Wings roster and taking on Vitale's hit. They got Vanek (who they could have afforded either way), and Nielson for too much money and term when they could have found another team to trade Dats' contract to looking to add cap, or toughed it out for one season. But Kenny just couldn't do the right thing and take Chych at #16 then deal with the Dats contract later. Instead he panicked.