• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HoweFan

Mike McKee

Rate this topic

Just now, DickieDunn said:

He's bad at hockey. At least compared to guys who have a shot at playing pro hockey.

He was supposed to be a 4 th line guy you don't need to be McJesus to play on the fourth line. Some patience, time and hardwork and I'm sure he would have surprised some guys. Why draft him if you ******* never give him a chance?

40 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

He was supposed to be a 4 th line guy you don't need to be McJesus to play on the fourth line. Some patience, time and hardwork and I'm sure he would have surprised some guys. Why draft him if you ******* never give him a chance?

There's many legitimate complaints when some prospects don't get a chance, but a large amount of prospects of any organization just don't turn out should be abandoned at certain points in the development process.

Here's McKee's WMU stats:

13-14: 21 gp 1g 0a 1 pt. (+/- not listed)

14-15: 34gp 2g 1a 3pts -7

15-16: 25gp 1g 4a 5pts -7

Ouch, that's pretty horrible. 9 points in 3 years. Even if you're slated to be a 4th liner you have to put more than that together at the college level. Also, I think they play 35 games at that group so he must have been scratched a lot or had some running injury problems.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Anyone see a #9 lying around?

I had hoped that McKee could be the muscle that Red Wings were in need of. Looking more like not...

He still could. He's gotta do something after college.

Although I said the same thing about my youngest son and he's still in my basement.

10 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

McKee can't even crack a college roster and some people want him on the Wings? 

It takes alot of skill to crack the NHL. Different types for different roles. Let's not minimize that. It's disrespectful to the entire league. Goons and all.

Well Mike goofed opting for college. He was drafted as a big, fast, physical winger who likes to drop em, and then he went to a league that doesn't fight and his team moved him to D (probably for his size)

I hope he's majoring in something useful, and not ethnic interpretive dance like my bum son.

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well Mike goofed opting for college. He was drafted as a big, fast, physical winger who likes to drop em, and then he went to a league that doesn't fight and his team moved him to D (probably for his size)

I hope he's majoring in something useful, and not ethnic interpretive dance like my bum son.

No he wasn't... He was drafted as a defenseman, and the Wings wanted him to convert to forward in an attempt to get themselves a 4th line goon that could wreck people. He played as a winger up until this year (if I'm not mistaken), probably because they realized he is not fast or skilled enough to ever make the NHL... Guy sure can throw 'em though...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

No he wasn't... He was drafted as a defenseman, and the Wings wanted him to convert to forward in an attempt to get themselves a 4th line goon that could wreck people. He played as a winger up until this year (if I'm not mistaken), probably because they realized he is not fast or skilled enough to ever make the NHL... Guy sure can throw 'em though...

I'm just making this up as I go along :lol: I thought he was a good skater and fast though

50 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

He went the college route to get an education and learn to do something other than fight

God doesn't make boys 6'4" 230 lbs and tough as nails so that they can think

McKee is back to playing on the wing this year for WMU. He scored a nice goal off the rush last night and added an assist, for two points in his first two games. I still don't think he has much of a chance to make the NHL, but I wouldn't hate if he could develop into a solid 4th liner that could kill penalties. He does look to be a decent skater...

Big Mike was a Dman in Junior. At WMU he was switched to winger. He is a very good skater and has very good speed. He has zero offensive skill. But what would have happened in Montreal the other night when Emilien kneed Larkin and McKee was on the team? Or when Emilien took out Lil Bert? McKee would have turned him into a bloody mess. Ok so now McKee sits in the locker room for the rest of the game, do we lose anything? No. But would the Habs have lost something?

That all being said, even if he earns a NHL contract Holland will never sign him.....

Big Mike was a Dman in Junior. At WMU he was switched to winger. He is a very good skater and has very good speed. He has zero offensive skill. But what would have happened in Montreal the other night when Emilien kneed Larkin and McKee was on the team? Or when Emilien took out Lil Bert? McKee would have turned him into a bloody mess. Ok so now McKee sits in the locker room for the rest of the game, do we lose anything? No. But would the Habs have lost something?
That all being said, even if he earns a NHL contract Holland will never sign him.....

He is too big, tough, gritty and young for Holland and company which is just a same because a fourth liner isn't there to score..sure he scores but in a much more entertaining different way and man can he throw.