• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

toby91_ca

Get Ready for McDavid Hype Machine

Rate this topic

Well...we've already seen tons of it obviously, but Edm plays Pit tonight and I'm already seeing a ton of McDavid vs Crosby articles and media discussions.  Discussions about Crosby passing the torch as NHL's best on to McDavid, who was better 58 games into their careers, etc.

Hard to believe, but Crosby is 29 now and Ovechkin is already 31.  They'll both still be effective for several more years I'm sure, but good chance you start seeing them slowly fade from top of the league status.  I'm not sure this is the year McDavid takes over (Crosby still looks dominant), but I wouldn't be surprised if next year is the year.  Having looked back at guys like Gretzky and Lemieux, they haven't seemed to dominant too much after 30 (different circumstances, but that age level seems to hold true).  Time will tell, maybe it will be another young guy that breaks through, but McDavid certainly looks like the guy at this point and the media isn't going to let us think otherwise for a while it seems.  They already had the McDavid vs Matthews event last week.

I agree McDavid is the next big thing, but 29 is still very young and unless he gets hurt I dont see Crosby slowing down. The guys that regress in their early 30's are usually players who play a very gritty style (ie. Todd Bertuzzi) as they cant physically be dominate like they once were. The guys that just have that elite level hockey sense (ie. Mario, Gretzky, Crosby etc.) can play well into their 30's. I still remember in 2003 when Mario was 38 scoring 91 points in 67 games. As annoying as he may be lol, Crosby is going to go down as an all time great.

1 hour ago, GoalieManPat said:

The NHL needs McJesus to take over the face of the league. People are tired of Crosby and he's one wrong hit to the head away from LTIR rerirement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I used to think that way too but actually I've long moved on from the 2009 loss against them and don't consider them a rival anymore. But when every coach, expert and executive is praising a guy for tremendous work ethic and being an even better person of the ice than on the ice there must be something true about that, so yeah I now like Crosby a lot more. The sad fact is, every player in a contact sport especially (MMA, NHL or NFL) is one wrong hit away from retirement.

I know a lot of guys think McDavid is just pure media hype but the truth is, that guy is unbelievable, he can do thinks at full speed I couldn't even dream of pulling of in Slowmotion. Also McDavid has that sixth sense of knowing where the puck is going to be, it seems like his brain is always thinking ahead. In think in 2 years he will be able to take over the crown from the Crosby by then he might be at 210 lbs and be able grind his way to the net.

It's crazy to think about it but I believe once Ovie starts to slow down (in 3 years that freak of nature), I think Laine will be ready to takeover as a goal scoring machine this shot is just unfair for goalies.

I used to think that way too but actually I've long moved on from the 2009 loss against them and don't consider them a rival anymore. But when every coach, expert and executive is praising a guy for tremendous work ethic and being an even better person of the ice than on the ice there must be something true about that, so yeah I now like Crosby a lot more. The sad fact is, every player in a contact sport especially (MMA, NHL or NFL) is one wrong hit away from retirement.

I know a lot of guys think McDavid is just pure media hype but the truth is, that guy is unbelievable, he can do thinks at full speed I couldn't even dream of pulling of in Slowmotion. Also McDavid has that sixth sense of knowing where the puck is going to be, it seems like his brain is always thinking ahead. In think in 2 years he will be able to take over the crown from the Crosby by then he might be at 210 lbs and be able grind his way to the net.

It's crazy to think about it but I believe once Ovie starts to slow down (in 3 years that freak of nature), I think Laine will be ready to takeover as a goal scoring machine this shot is just unfair for goalies.

My opinion of him has nothing to do with 2009. The difference between the two in my opinion was Crosby was a whiney little diving prick his first couple years and that whole time the NHL was shoving him down every hockey fans face. You don't see that with McJesus.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've always hated the Criesby / Crosbaby nonsense, but now McAnnoying? Seriously? These are two of the best hockey players of their generation, and you don't like them just because of media hype? Give me a f***ing break. Both are phenomenal athletes, and by all accounts great people on and off the ice. These guys are great role models for kids. I swear there's more fan hate for Crosby than there ever was for Cooke / Avery and their on ice antics or either of the Kane's and their off ice antics...

I hope Crosby continues to shred this league, McDavid eventually takes over and media talks about them every chance they get. They deserve every bit of praise, and it's great for the growth of the game.

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Crazy. Dreger did follow it up with something about that being the asking price from his agent and will likely come down a bit. Could see him getting a deal around where Kane/Towes is though.. 10-11mill range/8 years.

It'd be cool if he started a trend of star players taking less to make the team around them better.. but that seems unlikely. 

On 11/10/2016 at 7:46 AM, krsmith17 said:

I've always hated the Criesby / Crosbaby nonsense, but now McAnnoying? Seriously? These are two of the best hockey players of their generation, and you don't like them just because of media hype? Give me a f***ing break. Both are phenomenal athletes, and by all accounts great people on and off the ice. These guys are great role models for kids. I swear there's more fan hate for Crosby than there ever was for Cooke / Avery and their on ice antics or either of the Kane's and their off ice antics...

I hope Crosby continues to shred this league, McDavid eventually takes over and media talks about them every chance they get. They deserve every bit of praise, and it's great for the growth of the game.

I have a right to my opinion like you did so you can give me a ******* break as you have put it.

Crazy. Dreger did follow it up with something about that being the asking price from his agent and will likely come down a bit. Could see him getting a deal around where Kane/Towes is though.. 10-11mill range/8 years.
It'd be cool if he started a trend of star players taking less to make the team around them better.. but that seems unlikely. 

Why should he? It's not the job of a player to manage the cap. A player has to make as much money as possible because a hockey career is short

McJesus will be the next great one so even if he gets 14 per he is bringing way more to the Oilers than that

9 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Why should he? It's not the job of a player to manage the cap. A player has to make as much money as possible because a hockey career is short

McJesus will be the next great one so even if he gets 14 per he is bringing way more to the Oilers than that

I didn't say he should.. I said I think it would be cool. I just like the Oilers, that's all. 

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

He does have an interest in the success of the oilers. First of all, he might like winning.

Even just if you consider it financially. If the OIlers are champions and consistently one of the elite teams, his profile will be raised and he will be up for bigger endorsement deals.

Also there's the effect of being an overpayed (or just hugely payed) player on public opinion and your legacy. I think players do care about that, maybe some more than others. You could connect that to finance as well as players public image could be thought of as building a brand to a certain extent for endorsements/post hockey life.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, amato said:

I didn't say he should.. I said I think it would be cool. I just like the Oilers, that's all. 

9 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

He does have an interest in the success of the oilers. First of all, he might like winning.

Even just if you consider it financially. If the OIlers are champions and consistently one of the elite teams, his profile will be raised and he will be up for bigger endorsement deals.

Also there's the effect of being an overpayed (or just hugely payed) player on public opinion and your legacy. I think players do care about that, maybe some more than others. You could connect that to finance as well as players public image could be thought of as building a brand to a certain extent for endorsements/post hockey life.

What do you two know about anything? It's all about stackin that paper

A-d_2YECAAA1NPC.jpg

What do you two know about anything? It's all about stackin that paper
A-d_2YECAAA1NPC.jpg

That picture always just said "immature ******* idiot" to me. He probably threw it off the balcony after and watched people on the street rumble for it.

But ya, McDavid is gonna want paid, and will get it. $13 million a season though? That's ridiculous. I know Kane and Tayes make $10 million per each, and McDavid is a better player, but these days with the cap, even the super elite players have to try to be somewhat reasonable with their contract numbers. Every extra bit they make is a bit less to put into surrounding them with the players needed to win Cups.

Whatever though, he'll probably get it. And anything else he ever wants for the rest of his life. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

That picture always just said "immature ******* idiot" to me. He probably threw it off the balcony after and watched people on the street rumble for it.

But ya, McDavid is gonna want paid, and will get it. $13 million a season though? That's ridiculous. I know Kane and Tayes make $10 million per each, and McDavid is a better player, but these days with the cap, even the super elite players have to try to be somewhat reasonable with their contract numbers. Every extra bit they make is a bit less to put into surrounding them with the players needed to win Cups.

Whatever though, he'll probably get it. And anything else he ever wants for the rest of his life. Lol

13.25 (the rumored amount) would be the same percentage of the cap that Crosby's 8.7 was when he signed his deal.

25 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Can't be worse then the Toews contract, for the production Toews brings at 10 per, McDavid at 13 is a steal.

As mentioned in another discussion, McDavid has every right to be the highest paid player in the league, but not now! The Oilers have a young team and will have to get rid of guys to stay under the cap. As an owner, you'd hope your captain would take a bit of a discount so they can keep their team together. McDavid's contact could be the difference between winning 2 Cups or 4.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

13.25 (the rumored amount) would be the same percentage of the cap that Crosby's 8.7 was when he signed his deal.

Where did you get that information?  I don't think it's even close.  Max deal Crosby could have signed was $14M I think....max for McDavid is $15M.  If I look at cap history, the cap for the up coming year when Crosby signed was $60M or so, but I think that was post-CBA adjustment (was actually $70.2M when he signed).  Even if you were to use a cap of $60M, Crosby's deal was significantly more discounted than McDavid's....if he actually gets 13.25M.

Can't be worse then the Toews contract, for the production Toews brings at 10 per, McDavid at 13 is a steal.

Oh absolutely! Tayes isn't worth his contract. Never was.

Weren't other players making similar numbers when Sid signed that deal though? 8-10 is usually what the elite get. Kopitar might be at 11? 13.5 is a lot of money, but like I said, it's McDavid. If the Oilers try to lowball, they could face losing they're greatest player since Gretzky. They'll sign the check for whatever he asks.

As mentioned in another discussion, McDavid has every right to be the highest paid player in the league, but not now! The Oilers have a young team and will have to get rid of guys to stay under the cap. As an owner, you'd hope your captain would take a bit of a discount so they can keep their team together. McDavid's contact could be the difference between winning 2 Cups or 4.

Why should he? It's not the job of a player to manage the cap, period.

Players give hometown discounts and then a few years later they are traded, asked to lift their nmc/ntc clauses and what not.

Also to put things in perspective Crosby's contract is worth 114 million, McDavids would be 106 million... don't like it add things like franchise tags for players

Where did you get that information?  I don't think it's even close.  Max deal Crosby could have signed was $14M I think....max for McDavid is $15M.  If I look at cap history, the cap for the up coming year when Crosby signed was $60M or so, but I think that was post-CBA adjustment (was actually $70.2M when he signed).  Even if you were to use a cap of $60M, Crosby's deal was significantly more discounted than McDavid's....if he actually gets 13.25M.

Max per season is $15 million? Haha with all the talk of keeping salaries down and having parity allowing smaller markets to compete, that's a huge amount allowed for one player. The Oil have a few other great/good players heading to RFA after this season besides McDavid, like Draisaitl, Nurse, Maroon, Strome, Caggiula. Talbot is even up for a new deal in two years, and if he keeps his play up, he could be in 7 million territory. $18 mill and change in current cap. McDavid eats most of it. They'll be losing a few guys.

2 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Crosby signed his contract in the summer prior to the 2007-08 season. The cap ceiling during the 2007-08 was 50.3 million, Making Crosby's cap hit 17% of the cap. If McDavid signed the 13.25 contract today it would also be 17% of the cap hit. I'm getting my information from doing pretty simple math.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Max per season is $15 million? Haha with all the talk of keeping salaries down and having parity allowing smaller markets to compete, that's a huge amount allowed for one player. The Oil have a few other great/good players heading to RFA after this season besides McDavid, like Draisaitl, Nurse, Maroon, Strome, Caggiula. Talbot is even up for a new deal in two years, and if he keeps his play up, he could be in 7 million territory. $18 mill and change in current cap. McDavid eats most of it. They'll be losing a few guys.

Again, this salary is almost exactly comparable to Crosby's percentage of cap-wise. Do you think Crosby signed a non-team friendly contract in 07? 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs