• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingnut1989

Darren Helm (shoulder) out at least 6 weeks

Rate this topic

I wonder if this means AA will be playing 3rd line center when he comes back?

If Vanek and Jurco are also coming back soon, we have the ability to move AA off the wing.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Welp, another LTIR. Just in time for Vanek to return....so is Bert on his way back down I96?

With the exception of Frk (who we got back anyways) and Pulk, LTIR always seems to work out for us when we have a player about to come back from injury. I remember last year we had a very similar situation and then Miller went down for the season as was placed on LTIR.

Damn :( hope he makes a full recovery. Helm can't seem to catch a break.. 

He did skate off looking like he was in a lot of pain (not sure if they showed that on tv?) so I expected him to be out but was hoping it wasn't too long. 

Hopefully AA comes back on fire. Helm may not be the most skilled player, but we could definitely use all the speed we can get.. 

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree. Fowler, Trouba, Hamilton, Shattenkirk, Santini, ok I just threw that last one in there...

I wouldn't trade for Shattenkirk, if you dont think we are a cup contender this year why risk losing future assets when you can try to sign him for nothing July 1st.

If we can trade Howard, and even possibly Green as he has a very easy to trade contract come the summer  (1 year at 6mil) we could easily have the cap space to sign Shattenkirk. Sign him, then make a trade for Trouba and I think that changes our back-end dramatically. DD is a very good player, but he seems to be getting exposed playing as a #1 guy. If we got those two and bumped DD down to second pairing, everyone would fit in where they should.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

...and Bertuzzi has been recalled...again. he had to make a u-turn at the Lowell exit.

Not before a quick pit stop in Grand Rapids to play last nights game against the Stars. He picked up a goal and an assist and could have easily had another couple points. He was all over the ice, played a great game.

Completely unrelated, but I seen Backman play last night for the first time since he left the Red Wings organization. He still looks like he could become a player for the Stars. I guess we'll find out next season when he's waiver eligible...

This is why I was scratching my head a bit when Kenny re-signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like Helm as a player, and all that he brings to the table. But the guy just can't stay healthy. And the worst part is, it almost always seems to be an injury that forces him to miss weeks, and sometimes even months. Also, it seems to be different injuries every time, and not just him re-injuring a tender area. 

On the bright side, with Vanek coming back, and us having a surplus of capable forwards, we should be just fine up front (our back end however is a totally different story for another thread).

Maybe, just maybe one of these years Helm will actually play 80%+ of the season. Seems highly doubtful though. And points towards another questionable deal by Kenny, despite the fact that Helm probably took a bit of a "hometown discount" to remain with the Wings.

24 minutes ago, TheDetroitRedWings said:

This is why I was scratching my head a bit when Kenny re-signed him. Don't get me wrong, I like Helm as a player, and all that he brings to the table. But the guy just can't stay healthy. And the worst part is, it almost always seems to be an injury that forces him to miss weeks, and sometimes even months. Also, it seems to be different injuries every time, and not just him re-injuring a tender area. 

On the bright side, with Vanek coming back, and us having a surplus of capable forwards, we should be just fine up front (our back end however is a totally different story for another thread).

Maybe, just maybe one of these years Helm will actually play 80%+ of the season. Seems highly doubtful though. And points towards another questionable deal by Kenny, despite the fact that Helm probably took a bit of a "hometown discount" to remain with the Wings.

You do realize that 80% of an 82 game season is approximately 65 games right? And Helm has played 75 and 77 games the past two season respectively (over 90%)... Helm went through an extremely rough stretch in which he couldn't get out of bed without injuring himself in some way. That however has not been the case the past two season. When a player plays as hard and as fast as Helm does, you have to expect some broken / fractured bones along the way. This injury is a huge blow to the team, I just hope he's back sooner rather than later, and is good to go around Christmas...

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You do realize that 80% of an 82 game season is approximately 65 games right? And Helm has played 75 and 77 games the past two season respectively (over 90%)... Helm went through an extremely rough stretch in which he couldn't get out of bed without injuring himself in some way. That however has not been the case the past two season. When a player plays as hard and as fast as Helm does, you have to expect some broken / fractured bones along the way. This injury is a huge blow to the team, I just hope he's back sooner rather than later, and is good to go around Christmas...

Apparently the years are flying by extra fast for me lately. Had to google it myself to believe it. All his more serious injuries seemed to be so much more recent than that. 75 and 77 isn't that bad actually. But he does have a prior track record of being hurt, and he's not getting any younger. I definitely see that trend going back to where it was before 2014. I definitely hope I'm wrong though. And I still disagree with Kenny re-signing him with the amount of good forwards we have. But who knows, maybe we'll actually trade for a defenseman that we desperately need (again, another topic for another thread). I'm still on Kenny's side overall. But I can certainly see where his critics are coming from.

11 minutes ago, TheDetroitRedWings said:

Apparently the years are flying by extra fast for me lately. Had to google it myself to believe it. All his more serious injuries seemed to be so much more recent than that. 75 and 77 isn't that bad actually. But he does have a prior track record of being hurt, and he's not getting any younger. I definitely see that trend going back to where it was before 2014. I definitely hope I'm wrong though. And I still disagree with Kenny re-signing him with the amount of good forwards we have. But who knows, maybe we'll actually trade for a defenseman that we desperately need (again, another topic for another thread). I'm still on Kenny's side overall. But I can certainly see where his critics are coming from.

Do you have any lottery numbers you can give me? :P

I disagree with a lot of s*** Holland has done over the years, but one thing I agree with was re-signing Helm. Of course I would have liked a lower cap hit or shorter term, but that's the going rate for UFA's these days... Hindsight is 20/20 and there's no way Holland could have foreseen this injury coming... 

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

He's out long term again? Not good...

Maybe we lucked out.....doubt it, but it helps get rid of the sting of not signing him.

In all seriousness, I wish him the best in his recovery. I hate it when elite talent have their career's cut short or miss a lot of time due to injury. I don't like thinking "IF player x never got hurt, I wonder if he could have reached # x on the all time scoring list". Perfect example of this is Mario Lemieux, how much greater could his great career have been had he never had leukemia.