• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jacksoni

Jimmy Howard out 1 week+ with groin injury, Coreau called up

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/11/25/detroit-red-wings-jimmy-howard-groin-injury/94448202/

Is this a repeat from years past? Where Jimmy played like stud early in the season, got injured and looked shaky and nervous when back.

Edited by Jacksoni

Mrazek looked really bad last night coming off the bench, it's very concerning. He was showing visible signs of frustration, and let in a couple of stinkers and nearly a 3rd on that shot that rang off the post. All he's proven to me this season is he is nowhere near ready to take on full work load, and he needs to change his game drastically and step up right now. I don't buy into the excuse at all that he hasn't played for a week, as a starter, you go into any situation ready to play, period. 

Start off tonight and take this game that we likely shouldn't win, and build from there. If not, i'm not opposed at all to see what Coreau can bring to the table and get a start or two himself. I wasn't sold on Mrazek last year, sure he had one great month, and then went downhill pretty quick. He needs to do more, and prove in this opportunity with Howard down that he can remain mentally stable and be a solid goalie, and not act like he did last night. 

17 minutes ago, ami said:

"Mrazek has opportunity.,,"
f*** Mrazek, f*** this opportunity

He better performs and bumps his value a notch or two, then get rid of him, Kenny!!!

Getting rid of him is not a smart move unless its a return we cannot refuse. Inconsistency from a young goaltender is completely normal. This is why young goalies are typically paired with an established veteran. If there was no cap, I would have no desire to move Howard.

24 minutes ago, kliq said:

Getting rid of him is not a smart move unless its a return we cannot refuse. Inconsistency from a young goaltender is completely normal. This is why young goalies are typically paired with an established veteran. If there was no cap, I would have no desire to move Howard.

I agree, getting rid of him isn't the answer. His inconsistency has stemmed way back to the end of the regular season last year, so there has to be a line from calling it inconsistent to maybe just saying he had a hot month and this is really what we are gonna get from Petr going forward. 

Who knows, I don't. It's coming down to him now, and his play, and how he presents himself going forward. If it's inconsistency, then he is very much due for a hot streak again. If not, maybe Mrazek isn't our future in net after all, as much as that pains me to say. For me as a fan, and the sake of the team, I hope he shines going forward and we are right back on pace for what a lot feel is his future and career with this organization.

1 hour ago, MabusIncarnate said:

I agree, getting rid of him isn't the answer. His inconsistency has stemmed way back to the end of the regular season last year, so there has to be a line from calling it inconsistent to maybe just saying he had a hot month and this is really what we are gonna get from Petr going forward. 

Who knows, I don't. It's coming down to him now, and his play, and how he presents himself going forward. If it's inconsistency, then he is very much due for a hot streak again. If not, maybe Mrazek isn't our future in net after all, as much as that pains me to say. For me as a fan, and the sake of the team, I hope he shines going forward and we are right back on pace for what a lot feel is his future and career with this organization.

I think that's going a bit far. Petr has shown great stretches beyond that one month and recovered in the playoffs. I also think he's been good this year - just a few bad games. I think it's quite a lot for people to expect him to be a consistently good at this point. Price, Varlamov, even Hasek (and I'm sure many others) took a few years to establish themselves as consistent starters. Mrazek's only actually been on the NHL roster for just about 1.75 years now

8 hours ago, RedWingsRox said:

Sorry, I must have fallen asleep ... what happened to Thomas McCollum?  Is he still in our system?  

Wings didn't re-sign him, went to LA on PTO, then to their minor league team on invite, then signed by Calgary on a 2 year, 2 way deal.

32 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

I think what he/she is trying to say is that Mrazek has had opportunity and has shown that he doesn't have it likely due to his inconsistent play. If he goes on any type of hot streak, trade him so we can get something for him.

I dont agree with this, but this is my interpretation. 

Mrazek has definitely shown an issue with consistency, but I think he has more in him that what we have seen.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I think what he/she is trying to say is that Mrazek has had opportunity and has shown that he doesn't have it likely due to his inconsistent play. If he goes on any type of hot streak, trade him so we can get something for him.

I dont agree with this, but this is my interpretation. 

Mrazek has definitely shown an issue with consistency, but I think he has more in him that what we have seen.

Yeah, cause Howard is consistency defined. Some people man. Ya let's trade our very promising goalie of the future after not even two full NHL seasons that he's basically split with Howard where he had some rough patches and didn't play like '99 playoffs Hasek every night. Smartttt!

26 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Yeah, cause Howard is consistency defined. Some people man. Ya let's trade our very promising goalie of the future after not even two full NHL seasons that he's basically split with Howard where he had some rough patches and didn't play like '99 playoffs Hasek every night. Smartttt!

For the record, I agree he is the goalie of the future. I was interpreting ami's comments.

I dont see why so many people here have a Team Mrazek or Team Howard mentality. You dont have to hate one to like the other. chaps20, your comments are a perfect example of what I mean. Someone posted something bad about Mrazek, so rather then bringing Mrazek up, you bring Howard down. I don't get it, they are both good goaltenders. 

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

For the record, I agree he is the goalie of the future. I was interpreting ami's comments.

I dont see why so many people here have a Team Mrazek or Team Howard mentality. You dont have to hate one to like the other. chaps20, your comments are a perfect example of what I mean. Someone posted something bad about Mrazek, so rather then bringing Mrazek up, you bring Howard down. I don't get it, they are both good goaltenders. 

I did bring Mrazek up, but I also had to comment on Howard's play as well. Talking about trading Mrazek leaves the team where? With a goalie who has the same type of track record as the one the person was speaking out against? They are both good goaltenders, i'm not debating that. It just seems that since Howard started playing like he was years ago all of a sudden, Mrazek needs to prove himself or something according to some. I'm a fan of both goalies. I haven't burned my Howard jersey or anything..just tired of people taking what Howard has done so far this season and using it against Mrazek and saying he's inconsistent when Howard has had plenty of trouble in that area as well. 

23 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

You can't really bag on Howard for inconsistency while blindly defending Mrazek though. Mrazek has NOT been good

I'm not blindly defending him. Howard has been better this season obv, but Mrazek hasn't been horrible. Mrazek started 12 games and is 5-5-2, Howard has started 11 and is 5-5-0. 4 of his losses were below .900 sv%. Howard has 2 under that mark.Not much difference there. Overall though Howard has much better personal numbers:19 GA 1.82 GAA .940 SV%. Mrazek: 36 GA 3.07 GAA .898 SV%. Personal numbers don't really matter when compared to wins and losses though. That's why you play the game. You might say that Howard SHOULD have those numbers 7 seasons into his career though. Mrazek hasn't even played 2 full seasons, but for the majority of his time on the team with Howard, he's been the better goalie.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

I'm not blindly defending him. Howard has been better this season obv, but Mrazek hasn't been horrible. Mrazek started 12 games and is 5-5-2, Howard has started 11 and is 5-5-0. 4 of his losses were below .900 sv%. Howard has 2 under that mark.Not much difference there. Overall though Howard has much better personal numbers:19 GA 1.82 GAA .940 SV%. Mrazek: 36 GA 3.07 GAA .898 SV%. Personal numbers don't really matter when compared to wins and losses though. That's why you play the game. You might say that Howard SHOULD have those numbers 7 seasons into his career though. Mrazek hasn't even played 2 full seasons, but for the majority of his time on the team with Howard, he's been the better goalie.

Dude, read your own posts. You brought up Mrazek's own terrible numbers and then made excuses for him. You talk about how he's the starter but then all of a sudden say "well he hasn't even had 2 seasons yet". So is he a starter or is he still treated like a baby rookie? What is it? If he's a starter then can we stop making excuses for him and hold him accountable?

And I've never heard of someone say "personal numbers don't matter compared to wins or losses". That makes zero sense. Dominic Hasek had phenominal GAA and Sv% (2.11 and .930) and won the Vezina in the 1995 season but had a win-loss record of 19-14. So explain to me how he was considered the best goalie that year if his win-loss was terrible but actual personal numbers were great? It sounds like you're just making excuses for Mrazek. 

It amazes me that someone can actually justify a GAA of 3.00

Edited by kickazz

On November 27, 2016 at 11:21 PM, kickazz said:

Dude, read your own posts. You brought up Mrazek's own terrible numbers and then made excuses for him. You talk about how he's the starter but then all of a sudden say "well he hasn't even had 2 seasons yet". So is he a starter or is he still treated like a baby rookie? What is it? If he's a starter then can we stop making excuses for him and hold him accountable?

And I've never heard of someone say "personal numbers don't matter compared to wins or losses". That makes zero sense. Dominic Hasek had phenominal GAA and Sv% (2.11 and .930) and won the Vezina in the 1995 season but had a win-loss record of 19-14. So explain to me how he was considered the best goalie that year if his win-loss was terrible but actual personal numbers were great? It sounds like you're just making excuses for Mrazek. 

It amazes me that someone can actually justify a GAA of 3.00

Well as for the starter thing, he obv isn't anymore. Wasn't even given much of a shot before Blash jumped the gun and started turning to Howard. Sometimes your starter has a rough beginning to the season, especially in his second season in the league. Doesn't mean you turn to the backup that quickly, and you def don't hand him the reigns full time. s***ty move. Give him a good chance first. Like i've said before, it is what it is. Next season they'll let Mrazek play and learn from his mistakes maybe instead of simply benching him because Howard is there because Howard won't be there. And the difference in experience is a factor. Howard should have been off this team awhile back. No excuses for the huge 2-3 year slump he went through bein being a vet goalie in the league. He was horrible and everyone would have traded him for a set of moldy '70's goalie equipment. Amazing how a lot of those same people love him again after 11 starts, 9 he didn't make a mess out of.

And I guess my personal numbers thing came across wrong. Mrazek lost 7 games, Howard lost 5. Not a big difference. Sure Mrazek has allowed more goals, but wins are wins. Howard has allowed less goals, but wins are wins. Personal numbers are for statistics and awards. Wins get you towards the main goal, which is the Cup.

And yes, a GAA over 3.00 sucks, but he's not 0-11. That's my point. And on Saturday, Mrazek lost by a goal and got a point from the team that blew out Howard earlier in the season. Things easily go the other way.

So I dunno, guess i'll keep "blindly defending" Mrazek for having bad numbers 12 starts into his second season while most others "blindly defend " Howard because not sucking in 9 games this season apparently makes up for the horror show that half his 7-8 year career has been while both have 5 wins each.