• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Panthers Fire Gerard Gallant

Rate this topic

Coaching change in @NHL with the @FlaPanthers. @Sportsnet has learned Gerard Gallant has been relieved of his duties.

Interesting, and odd timing.

Tom Rowe will take over as head coach in FLA.

For those wondering, Rowe is their General Manager...

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Wow, not even a season after serious Jack Adams consideration. Then again, when a coach just isn't getting it done and making strange line decisions, guess a change may be needed...you know where I'm going with this. 

Coaching isn't the problem with the panthers. injuries and roster turnover is. Stupid move on their part to fire him. Too bad Holland won't take advantage of the situation. my guess is Vegas snatches him up very quickly.

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Coaching isn't the problem with the panthers. injuries and roster turnover is. Stupid move on their part to fire him. Too bad Holland won't take advantage of the situation. my guess is Vegas snatches him up very quickly.

You're probably right! That would be a good move by Vegas IMO. 

Gerard Gallant was doomed from the start of the season with the management change, their differences in approach (to my understanding new management wanted to run via analytics) and injuries to rub salt in the wound. 

I'm not opposed to relieving Blashill if this team continues to under perform, but not for Gallant lol.  He's an old school, conservative, coach whose only NHL coaching success came after he walked on to a team that Dale Tallon had already STACKED for him.  So what if he was a Jack Adams nominee, Bob Hartley actually won the Jack Adams and nobody confuses him with a good coach (same with John Tortorella).  Gallant's done jack s*** in 5 seasons as an NHL head coach.  This is just more "grass is greener" stuff from our (legitimately) pissed of fans.  Gallant is no answer.  We should be trying to find the next Jon Cooper or Mike Sullivan.  Not some Canadian dinosaur.

Edited by kipwinger

15 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Makes sense. They are underachieving. Only have 1 more point than the Wings despite having a lot more talent.

Makes sense?  I think it is one of the most idiotic firings in history....maybe overplaying that a bit...but I think it's makes no sense.

He just lead the team to their best finish in franchise history, then gets fired 20 games into the season, to be replaced by a guy with 0 NHL coaching experience.

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not opposed to relieving Blashill if this team continues to under perform, but not for Gallant lol.  He's an old school, conservative, coach whose only NHL coaching success came after he walked on to a team that Dale Tallon had already STACKED for him.  So what if he was a Jack Adams nominee, Bob Hartley actually won the Jack Adams and nobody confuses him with a good coach (same with John Tortorella).  Gallant's done jack s*** in 5 seasons as an NHL head coach.  This is just more "grass is greener" stuff from our (legitimately) pissed of fans.  Gallant is no answer.  We should be trying to find the next Jon Cooper or Mike Sullivan.  Not some Canadian dinosaur.

This. This. A Thousand Times This.  I do not want Hartley, Hitchock, Gallant, Crawford, or Wilson.  

Edited by e_prime

Panthers didn't  need to change anything especially not replacing their GM and trading away the face of their franchise in Gudbranson.

Injuries and focusing on the wrong stuff has them fallen from grace.

Rowe and his stupid new school approcah can go f*** off, he doesn't have the experience of a guy like Tallon nor does he have the coaching experience of Gallant. Will be fun to see him in a GM and coaching role ala Roy back in the days with the Avs.

17 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Panthers didn't  need to change anything especially not replacing their GM and trading away the face of their franchise in Gudbranson.

Rowe and his stupid new school approcah can go f*** off, he doesn't have the experience of a guy like Tallon nor does he have the coaching experience of Gallant. Will be fun to see him in a GM and coaching role ala Roy back in the days with the Avs.

:eh:

LOL at people thinking focusing on analytics is the problem. 

What a great position the Red Wings, Canucks, Islanders, Bruins, Avalanche (the anti-analytics teams) are in right now. Especially compared to the pro-analytics Kings, Penguins(on the tracks to a dynasty) , Blackhawks (legit dynasty) and Sharks.

Edited by shocky2002

3 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

By "back in the day" are you referring to 2013?

Either way, I cant see Rowe being the permanent coach of the Panthers. I see him doing it short term until he finds a replacement. As a Wings fan I am loving this. I saw this downfall coming and I hoped it was coming as there is nothing better then a team in your division taking a fall. Florida was a perfect example of a team being over-hyped.

3 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

What a great position the Red Wings, Canucks, Islanders, Bruins, Avalanche (the anti-analytics teams) are in right now. Especially compared to the pro-analytics Kings, Penguins(on the tracks to a dynasty) , Blackhawks (legit dynasty) and Sharks.

Outside of Frank, who has an issue with analytics? 

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

Either way, I cant see Rowe being the permanent coach of the Panthers. I see him doing it short term until he finds a replacement. As a Wings fan I am loving this. I saw this downfall coming and I hoped it was coming as there is nothing better then a team in your division taking a fall. Florida was a perfect example of a team being over-hyped.

Why on earth would you be happy about another team taking a free fall, when the Wings are in a position where they are very unlikely to make the playoffs and ideally would want to finish as low as possible for a better draft pick?

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

You and probably about 20 other guys here and another 100,000 Red Wings fans.

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

If thats the day Sakic hired him then yes. I think it's a mistake and would love Gallant as a coach but I know it won't happen maybe the Isles are going to fire Capuano and hire Gallant now, guy wont be without a job for long.

48 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

Why on earth would you be happy about another team taking a free fall, when the Wings are in a position where they are very unlikely to make the playoffs and ideally would want to finish as low as possible for a better draft pick?

You and probably about 20 other guys here and another 100,000 Red Wings fans.

Keep trying.

Every good team loves analytics and every bad team hates them guys. When have the wings ever said they were against analytics?

The only team that put everything behind analytics in the league is Arizona the rest are reasonable humans making decisions based off many things

1 hour ago, shocky2002 said:

Penguins won a cup based on team chemistry and smart trading. Their first cup in 2009 was won under very controversial circumstances. Also, they are not a dynasty or close to being a dynasty. Winning two cups in 7 years does not make them close to being a dynasty. Blackhawks also are hardly a dynasty. 3 wins in 6 years (one lockout shortened season, mind you) does not compare to other dynasties before them. Sharks are doing not great right now. The reason the Canucks are doing poorly has to do with more the fact that they have drafted very poorly recently and made poor choices in trades. Bruins traded away a good chunk of their core from their cup run and have had issues with injuries. That being said, they are only one spot out of a playoff spot, which they failed to do last season. Av's are on the road to a brighter future but are a very young team.

1 minute ago, joesuffP said:

Every good team loves analytics and every bad team hates them guys. When have the wings ever said they were against analytics?

I dont think the Wings have ever come out and said anything against analytics, and I think the general consensus on this board is pro analytics as well. Where there is a disconnect is when people seem to think analytics are the be all end all which they are not.

1 minute ago, dinamomoskva said:

Blackhawks also are hardly a dynasty. 3 wins in 6 years (one lockout shortened season, mind you) does not compare to other dynasties before them.

As much as I hate the Blackhawks, and as much as it pains me to say it they are a dynasty. Winning 3 cups in 6 seasons in a 30 team league in the cap era is much more impressive then what teams did back in the original 6 era especially when players moving from team to team was not like it is today.

If you had an elite team back then, you didnt have to worry about losing players to stay under the cap. Imagine if Chicago could have kept the entire 2010 team together long term. If they still had Buff, Ladd etc. it would have been scary.

Even the 2002 Wings, I dont think that cup is possible in a cap world.