• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

12/1 GDT - Panthers at Red Wings - 7:30 PM EST

24 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Larkin needs to stay at center

1 assist in 24 games. Let's be honest, Dylan has not been great. He's getting good looks at center but he's not there yet. His whole game is based off his speed and not much else. Nielsen and Z are far and away the top two centermen. This change makes the two lines better

Edited by joesuffP

50 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

1 assist in 24 games. Let's be honest, Dylan has not been great. He's getting good looks at center but he's not there yet. His whole game is based off his speed and not much else. Nielsen and Z are far and away the top two centermen. This change makes the two lines better

How will he improve at center without playing center? Hence the need to stay there. At some point, the kid has to take his lumps playing center. Better now than later. 

Playing center and having a vet like Vanek on his wing is the best thing for him. 

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

How will he improve at center without playing center? Hence the need to stay there. At some point, the kid has to take his lumps playing center. Better now than later. 

I certainly see your point but I am quite skeptical about that. As I see it, Larkin being center does not help the team right now. I put myself on the camp that wants Larkin at wing, although I would like to have him at center once he's ready.

I do agree he needs to play center to get better at it, but 1c or 2c is not the solution, simply too costly. Perhaps 3c or even down with the Griffins, if that is at all possible.

2 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

I certainly see your point but I am quite skeptical about that. As I see it, Larkin being center does not help the team right now. I put myself on the camp that wants Larkin at wing, although I would like to have him at center once he's ready.

I do agree he needs to play center to get better at it, but 1c or 2c is not the solution, simply too costly. Perhaps 3c or even down with the Griffins, if that is at all possible.

Playing Larkin at center may not make the team better right now, but not playing him there makes the team worse tomorrow. This team is simply not that good this season, whether Larkin is at center or on the wing. But playing him at the wing is only gonna delay the inevitable. 

5 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Playing Larkin at center may not make the team better right now, but not playing him there makes the team worse tomorrow. This team is simply not that good this season, whether Larkin is at center or on the wing. But playing him at the wing is only gonna delay the inevitable. 

I hear you. I just haven't given up on the season yet. Silly of me perhaps, but last I checked I am a Fan. In 2 hours I'll be playing hockey with Larkin's jersey.

How about this - once it's rather obvious we won't make no playoffs, put Larkin on 2C/1C all season "long".

Edited by Jacksoni

Just now, Jacksoni said:

I hear you. I just haven't given up on the season yet. Silly of me perhaps, but last I checked I am a Fan. In 2 hours I'll be playing hockey with Larkin's jersey.

How about this - once it's rather obvious we won't make no playoffs, put Larkin on 2c/1C all season "long".

Am I not a fan because my expectations of this current roster are different?

Hell, just maybe Larkin taking his lumps at center now makes this team much better later in the season and they finish strong. In the end, his line is currently scoring. He has been getting better as the season has gone along. I know joesuffP has called out his 1 assist in 24 games, but he also spent a chunk of those 24 games on the wing anyway. And that was probably his worst stretch of this young season. 

28 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Am I not a fan because my expectations of this current roster are different?

Hell, just maybe Larkin taking his lumps at center now makes this team much better later in the season and they finish strong. In the end, his line is currently scoring. He has been getting better as the season has gone along. I know joesuffP has called out his 1 assist in 24 games, but he also spent a chunk of those 24 games on the wing anyway. And that was probably his worst stretch of this young season. 

As to your first point, after reading you for a couple years you're as redwhiteblooded as I am. I'm just clinging on to another playoff run, and that might be foolish even, just can't help it.

Just two different schools of thought, and I can't see any "winner", it's a matter of perspectives. I can even buy into your idea. Just not ready yet. Give me a handful more sour games. ;)

Edit: That Zetterberg backhand goal was a true beauty.

Edited by Jacksoni

1 hour ago, Jacksoni said:

Honestly, Larkin has been underwhelming since the middle of last season.  Not sure if him having a good start was a fluke or if other teams just needed time to adjust to him.  His stats this season suck.  

28 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Tatar a 1st? Vanek a 2nd? I'm a fan of both, especially Vanek, but if those guys are playing well enough to garner those returns, we will not be WELL out of the playoffs. We will be well in.

There are good players on bad teams all the time. Vanek and Tatar are not going to will us into the playoffs.

Vanek went to NYI for Moulson + Conditional 1st + 2nd. Then to MTL for a prospect selected in the 2nd round + 2nd. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we can move him for a low 2nd at this point of his career.

Florida gave up a 2nd and a 4th for Hudler last year. Tatar will certainly garner more.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

On the assumption we are well out of the playoff race come trade deadline. Guys with 1 year left and no protection clause on their contract:

Tatar
Vanek
Miller
Ott
Smith

I'm thinking Tatar could net a 1st? Vanek a 2nd? Smith maybe even a 3rd to a team that wants to add warm bodies at D?

holland wont trade for picks even if we are out he will try to extend tats vanek miller and smith if he could

5 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Honestly, Larkin has been underwhelming since the middle of last season.  Not sure if him having a good start was a fluke or if other teams just needed time to adjust to him.  His stats this season suck.  

Yeah last season most (myself included) thought we had a phenom Kenny stole with the 15th pick. First teenager to make the roster since Yzerman who was lighting it up in the first half and was an All Star selection. Then he dropped off and has stayed off since. Great player, but not close to what he was looking like he'd become.

45 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

holland wont trade for picks even if we are out he will try to extend tats vanek miller and smith if he could

Hell, trade the other three, but Vanek shouldn't go anywhere. If I wasn't for him, Z, Mrazek, and Howard, this team would be in last place.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Hell, trade the other three, but Vanek shouldn't go anywhere. If I wasn't for him, Z, Mrazek, and Howard, this team would be in last place.

Mrazek is one of a few reasons we are below the waterline. Wings should get rid of him and Tatar while they retain some value. Trade for picks would be just fine since it also serves as a shake up and kick to some asses. If it comes along with firing Blashill, it would be even better...

Well, I know, it is a pipe dream. Holland will never ever pull anything like this, 'cause we like our team' sucking...

1 hour ago, ami said:

Mrazek is one of a few reasons we are below the waterline. Wings should get rid of him and Tatar while they retain some value. Trade for picks would be just fine since it also serves as a shake up and kick to some asses. If it comes along with firing Blashill, it would be even better...

Well, I know, it is a pipe dream. Holland will never ever pull anything like this, 'cause we like our team' sucking...

You make me laugh (not really).

18 hours ago, ami said:

Mrazek is one of a few reasons we are below the waterline. Wings should get rid of him and Tatar while they retain some value. 

Are you serious? Howard is injured and there has been zero decline in the goaltending. Did you think it was Sawchuk's ghost in there or something? 

Edited by chaps80

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Coreau has been unreal in Grand Rapids. I'm assuming we'll see him in his first NHL game tomorrow night. I expect good things from this kid...

I was hoping he'd get a start on this call up. With Howard still out, looks like he may.

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Are you serious? Howard is injured and there has been zero decline in the goaltending. Did you think it was Sawchuk's ghost in there or something? 

Now ya know what it feels like when people blame Howard (and Osgood before that) for every single thing even when it makes no sense... Welcome to the receiving end my friend. This will go on for a while.... 

For the record I think Mrazek has been playing a lot better than he did during his slump.

Edited by kickazz

8 hours ago, kickazz said:

Now ya know what it feels like when people blame Howard (and Osgood before that) for every single thing even when it makes no sense... Welcome to the receiving end my friend. This will go on for a while.... 

For the record I think Mrazek has been playing a lot better than he did during his slump.

Osgood I never understood the hate for. Winning record everywhere he played, two cups (nearly three) as starter, loved being a Red Wing. He had bad games and some bad playoff rounds, but overall he was a solid goalie who got the job done. He'll never get the praise he deserves though.

And yes, In Mrazek's last three starts he's been stellar. His numbers are looking better now.