• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cdjen

Our defencemen scoring in our own nets

Rate this topic

Anyone knows how many goals were scored against by our own defencemen. It seems it happens too often ... Kronwall must have more goals scored than our leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, cdjen said:

My point is OUR DEFENCEMEN are the culprit.

Are you saying that our D are an issue? Or are you saying are D score on their own net two much? Those are two different things. 

Are you saying that our D are an issue? Or are you saying are D score on their own net two much? Those are two different things. 

Stop splitting hair! It's one problem... the issue is that our defencemen have scored too many goals in our nets!!!

48 minutes ago, kickazz said:

What's the solution 

We play without defensemen! BRILLIANT! :P

But really yeah, it has felt like a lot of goals are scored against us because of bad bounces off our own guys but it's not like it's intentional.. it's part of the game. and you don't want to just let the other team shoot through an open lane every time. I'd be willing to bet we block more shots than we tip in. 

Edited by amato

29 minutes ago, cdjen said:

Stop splitting hair! It's one problem... the issue is that our defencemen have scored too many goals in our nets!!!

I'm really not trying to "split hair", I'm trying to understand your point. Are you talking deflections? Are you talking carelessness (ie. Qunicey the other night) You are not being specific at all.

A small part of it seems that they are unwilling to face a shot straight on to block it and to a degree this causes the puck to deflect towards the net because they are turning their shoulders and chest prior to attempting to block the shot. Kinda frustrating as some of them are as soft as melted butter.

2 hours ago, MotorCityMadness said:

A small part of it seems that they are unwilling to face a shot straight on to block it and to a degree this causes the puck to deflect towards the net because they are turning their shoulders and chest prior to attempting to block the shot. Kinda frustrating as some of them are as soft as melted butter.

It's shameful. Cowardly. 

A big reason why Kronwall seems to be a major culprit is he plays so damn passive. He would rather back his butt all the way into his own goaltender than challenge a puck carrier or shooter. I joke that he is the best net front presence on the team since Holmstrom but I only do that so to cover my disappointment in him.

I think the real issue is how passive the team is defensively. Everyone just crowds the slot and tries to block shots and passing lanes. Opponents have free ice around the outside and just rip shots and passes into the slot at will. With all the bodies in front it's way more likely to have pucks deflected into the net.

On 12/2/2016 at 4:08 AM, GoalieManPat said:

A big reason why Kronwall seems to be a major culprit is he plays so damn passive. He would rather back his butt all the way into his own goaltender than challenge a puck carrier or shooter. I joke that he is the best net front presence on the team since Holmstrom but I only do that so to cover my disappointment in him.

In fairness to Kronwall, this team's d-zone strategy is basically "Collapse around the hash marks, front shots, pray."

EDIT: Ah, didn't see BinMucker's post. Great minds...

Edited by Dabura

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

In fairness to Kronwall, this team's d-zone strategy is basically "Collapse around the hash marks, front shots, pray."

EDIT: Ah, didn't see BinMucker's post. Great minds...

That's been the strategy for a long time.  They don't block shots and don't clear the crease.  In other words, they let the guy from the point tee off on the net.  

Just now, GMRwings1983 said:

That's been the strategy for a long time.  They don't block shots and don't clear the crease.  In other words, they let the guy from the point tee off on the net.  

It's definitely been a thing for at least the past three years. And, actually, as Mickey noted in one of the recent broadcasts, most teams are now coached to play some form of "box-out" defense, where you try to push the other team out to the perimeter and force them to settle for low-percentage shot attempts, usually from the point. The Wings, of course, take it to a ridiculous extreme and treat every d-zone situation like it's a desperate PK scenario. And this, I feel, is a big reason why our transition game is often nonexistent -- and why, in turn, we have such trouble generating offense and scoring goals.

Like, collapsing down low and in tight makes some sense if you're only thinking about defending the net at all costs and swatting the puck out of the zone as soon as it touches your stick blade -- but what happens when you regain possession and you want to move up the ice with possession and force the other team back into their end? By collapsing and boxing out, you're kind of shooting your breakout/transition in the foot straightaway. You're deep in your zone. You've pushed at least two opposing players out to the perimeter, so they're in position to impede your progress when you try to break out and move through neutral ice. Your players are too close together, and they're probably tired (treating every d-zone situation like it's a PK), and they're probably all flat-footed. And this is the only team in the league that can't be counted on to complete simple tape-to-tape passes on a consistent basis. Ugh! The self-defeating "safeness" of it all!

/rant