• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Lines, pairs, PP and PK.

Rate this topic

I can't believe it, there isn't a lines thread on page 1. Maybe the first time on this forum? Oh well. TBH I should have wrote the title PP, PK, lines, and pairs. Because the first 2 PP and PK fill out the last 2: lines and pairs.

Power Play.

I am a fan of the 1-3-1 PP setup. But it doesn't matter which system is used. The skills and player types are still the same. There are 5 players needed for a successful PP: The QB at the BL, a RHed shot that works the left side of the formation, a LHed shot that works the right side of the formation, a deadly sniper in the slot, and a tough front of net guy. Teams need at least 2 PP units. Looking at our roster and system overall we are ok at some positions and the case is empty at others.

PP quarterback. We have 2 guys that can do it, but one is about done due to injury. Dekeyser and Kronwall. We must find an upgrade over Kronwall that can run the 1st PP unit thus letting DD run the second unit.

RHed shot on left side. We have 2 guys that fill this role currently: Green and Sproul. Both have the skills needed. Green only has 1 year left on his contract and we need to find a replacement for him. Hello 2017 draft and Cullan Foote!

LHed shot on the right side. We have several guys that can play this role: Neilsson, Z, Larkin, maybe AA.

Sniper in the slot. We have 2 guys on the team now and 1 on the way: Vanek and Mantha are here now and Svechnikov will be here soon.

Front of net. This is the major area in need of an upgrade. Right now we have 1 guy that can kind of play the role in Abby. But he is only average. 3-4 years from now he could be replaced by Givani Smith. But we are at least 1 player short. We have tried Sheahan before but he hasn't shown any real skill at this position.

This creates the 2 following PP units:

PP1: Kronwall, Green, Vanek, Neilsson and Abby.

PP2: Dekeyser, Sproul, Mantha, Larkin, ????(Sheahan).

That takes up 10 of the 18 skaters that a team dresses for each game.

Penalty Kill.

We want fast aggressive skaters to cover the extra ice. We have a bunch of guys that can do that: Helm, AA, Larkin, Abby, Glendening, Lil Bert, plus some more skilled guys like neilsson and Z.

On the BL DD, Oullett, Ericsson, and Marcenko are the best we have.

Those names over fill the 18 players we can dress for any one game.

All of that creates the following lines/pairs:

Abby-Neilsson-Vanek

Mantha-Lakin-Sheahan (need better here)

Z-AA-Jurco?

Lil Bert-Helm-Glendening

Dekeyser-Green

Kornwall-Marchenko

Oullett-Sproul

Yes we need better than Sheahan on the second line and need to replace Kornwall asap. Of course everyone also needs to get healthy. We do have some in house replacements coming over the next couple of years like I mentioned. Svechnikov replaces Vanek, Smith replaces Abby, and lets hope and pray we can draft Foote to replace Green.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I was wondering why your lines looked so terrible, then realized Nyquist and Tatar were traded away for draft picks...

where did I say that? Not here. But if we could get a 2nd for each that would help us rebuild faster. neither is key to any future success.

11 minutes ago, Richdg said:

where did I say that? Not here. But if we could get a 2nd for each that would help us rebuild faster. neither is key to any future success.

So you would scratch a 100% health Nyquist and Tatar? You feel Sheahan, Bertuzzi, and Jurco make this team better?

No offense or anything but I think I honestly might have seen the worst line combo in these forums in a long, long time. 

Sheahan on the 2nd line is lol

Jurco over Nyquist or Tatar is um what?

The 2nd line and 3rd line centers are like 40-45% on faceoffs probably the worst in the league. Nielsen is at best a 2nd line center. Zetterberg proved in the 25 games so far that he's still better, plain and simple. Even at his older age. 

Unless these are line combos for tanking without being too obvious about it to the league. Then I can see the strategy behind all this. 

Edited by kickazz

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

No offense or anything but I think I honestly might have seen the worst line combo in these forums in a long, long time. 

Maybe his goal is to tank, if thats the case then they look good lol.

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

No, you didn't say it, but you also didn't explain what happened to them. Which lead me to assume they had to have been traded away for picks, or healthy scratched?...

Completely healthy I'd like to see something like...

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Mantha

Athanasiou - Nielsen - Vanek

Tatar - Larkin - Jurco

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening / Sheahan

No, you didn't say it, but you also didn't explain what happened to them. Which lead me to assume they had to have been traded away for picks, or healthy scratched?...

Tatar - Larkin - Jurco

Those are probably as good as you're going to get

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Tatar - Larkin - Jurco

They would be moved. To get someone better than Sheahan to play on the 2nd PP/2nd line as a front of net player we need to trade for them. To get you have to give. Pretend for a minute we could send Sheahan or Jurco plus either Tatar or Nyquist to the Pens for Hornquist. One of the top front of net guys in the league. Now look at the top 2 PP units and lines. Just got a lot better. Now do the same type of thing on the BL to improve over Kronwall.

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Those are probably as good as you're going to get

with those pieces maybe. but we need better pieces. how do you get those?

54 minutes ago, Richdg said:

They would be moved. To get someone better than Sheahan to play on the 2nd PP/2nd line as a front of net player we need to trade for them. To get you have to give. Pretend for a minute we could send Sheahan or Jurco plus either Tatar or Nyquist to the Pens for Hornquist. One of the top front of net guys in the league. Now look at the top 2 PP units and lines. Just got a lot better. Now do the same type of thing on the BL to improve over Kronwall.

with those pieces maybe. but we need better pieces. how do you get those?

So you traded both Nyquist and Tatar for one Hornqvist and then scratched Hornqvist in your lineup? This thread is bizarre 

I guess we were all waiting for blueadams to come in a make his line thread(s)

:lol:

I like Z and Mantha together. I like Larkin and Vanek too, but I think when Helm is available we should reassemble the Nyquist-Nielsen-Vanek line and see if they still have chemistry.

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I also would trade Nyquist and Tatar if we had to make room for AA and Mantha to stay permanently.

I honestly don't think Mantha or Athanasiou will ever play another game in the AHL. They have both slapped Blashill in the face, and made it evidently clear that not only have they made this team, they make this team much better... As much as Blashill makes some boneheaded personnel decisions, I think he would easily scratch a handful of players before Mantha or AA.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to trading Nyquist or Tatar in a package to improve this team (upgrade the defense). However, we shouldn't just give them away, which is what it looked like from the OP.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So you traded both Nyquist and Tatar for one Hornqvist and then scratched Hornqvist in your lineup? This thread is bizarre 

Since reading seems to be a challenge for you, I would be trading Sheahan and 1 of Tatar or Nyquist for a guy like Hornquist. He would then be in the lineup on the 2nd line in place of Sheahan.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I honestly don't think Mantha or Athanasiou will ever play another game in the AHL. They have both slapped Blashill in the face, and made it evidently clear that not only have they made this team, they make this team much better... As much as Blashill makes some boneheaded personnel decisions, I think he would easily scratch a handful of players before Mantha or AA.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to trading Nyquist or Tatar in a package to improve this team (upgrade the defense). However, we shouldn't just give them away, which is what it looked like from the OP.

I would like to believe that both are done with their AHL careers. But if we get everyone healthy again (big if) we have to many players. We go back to our start of the season lineup and 2 or 3 guys will need to go. Where they go is the question. I would not bet against 1 or both of those guys heading to GR while Holland kicks the tires.

8 hours ago, Richdg said:

Since reading seems to be a challenge for you, I would be trading Sheahan and 1 of Tatar or Nyquist for a guy like Hornquist. He would then be in the lineup on the 2nd line in place of Sheahan.

I would like to believe that both are done with their AHL careers. But if we get everyone healthy again (big if) we have to many players. We go back to our start of the season lineup and 2 or 3 guys will need to go. Where they go is the question. I would not bet against 1 or both of those guys heading to GR while Holland kicks the tires.

Since reading seems to be a challenge for you, I will say it again... "I think he would easily scratch a handful of players before Mantha or Athanasiou." Meaning both stay, and we trade / waive other (lesser) players. I'd be shocked if Mantha and AA continue to be impact players every night (I think they will), and they get sent down to Grand Rapids before Miller / Ott get waived or a trade happens. Unless of course, Holland gives up on the season (he won't), and wants to ice a worse team...

10 hours ago, Richdg said:

And yet your original lineup contains sheahan, but no Hornqvist, tatar, or nyquist.

So you scratched them...?

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs
Them being tatar and nyquist

17 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Since reading seems to be a challenge for you, I will say it again... "I think he would easily scratch a handful of players before Mantha or Athanasiou." Meaning both stay, and we trade / waive other (lesser) players. I'd be shocked if Mantha and AA continue to be impact players every night (I think they will), and they get sent down to Grand Rapids before Miller / Ott get waived or a trade happens. Unless of course, Holland gives up on the season (he won't), and wants to ice a worse team...

Based on what? Holland made the decision at the start of this season to keep Miller and Ott over Mantha. He then brought up Lil Bert before Mantha. How would you have ANY confidence that he wouldn't send one of those guys down? Then there is Blashill. Sproul has been one of our better Dmen. At least offensively. So what do we do in Sundays game? sit Sproul so we can play Lashoff.

7 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Based on what? Holland made the decision at the start of this season to keep Miller and Ott over Mantha. He then brought up Lil Bert before Mantha. How would you have ANY confidence that he wouldn't send one of those guys down? Then there is Blashill. Sproul has been one of our better Dmen. At least offensively. So what do we do in Sundays game? sit Sproul so we can play Lashoff.

In regards to Mantha, to me its pretty clear that management are very high on him but didnt feel that they were getting as much out of him as they could. There is stuff that happens that we dont see. Jim Devellano's comments about him last year were pretty telling to me, they were trying to send a message.  Now that Mantha is up and playing at the level that they want him playing at, I just can't see them sending him back down.

I realize that sometimes the Wings take things to the extreme, but you cant just hand these kids spots if they are not earning it.

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Vanek-Larkin-Mantha

Nielsen-Athanasiou-Zetterberg

Glrndening-Svechnikov-Jurco

Frk-Helm-Abdelkader

Bertuzzi-Nosek

Green-Dekeyser

Sproul-Smith

Russo-Ouellet

Marchenko

Mrazek

Coreau

Howard, Ericsson, Kronwall, Nyquist, Tatar, Miller, Ott, Sheahan to whoever for whatever.  I'm just sick of watching the Old, Soft, Inept, Has-Been (or any combinations of those).  Let the kids have the reins.

You've always been high on Frk huh.