• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

AA

Rate this topic

It has nothing to do with Glendening being a "walk-on", it's that he's not and likely won't ever be anything more than a 4th liner. Nyquist is a very good 2nd line winger. Why are you only looking at goals? He's tied for 2nd among forwards to only Zetterberg in points... That's not top 6 worthy? What 6 forwards on the team are better than Nyquist?

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

LWer, your love for Ott is almost as ridiculous as your hate for Franzen, Helm, Nyquist, Kronwall, Ericsson, etc...

Ott is not at all a key piece to this team. He should not be playing if / when we get completely healthy, and he definitely should not be re-signed next summer...

He sure plays keys minutes and situations. I for sure like Ott more than the guys you mentioned. 

34 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It has nothing to do with Glendening being a "walk-on", it's that he's not and likely won't ever be anything more than a 4th liner. Nyquist is a very good 2nd line winger. Why are you only looking at goals? He's tied for 2nd among forwards to only Zetterberg in points... That's not top 6 worthy? What 6 forwards on the team are better than Nyquist?

I actually like that Glendening was a walk-on. It's a good story. Kid just worked hard and despite the odds proved himself.

There was a time when Abdelkader was seen as only ever being a 4th liner. Perhaps Blash thinks he can do the same thing with Glendening that Babs did with Abby.

36 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He sure plays keys minutes and situations. I for sure like Ott more than the guys you mentioned. 

Do you like Ott better then some of the players mentioned, or is this based on salary? I have a hard time believing that if Nyquist made 800,000 and Ott made 4mil, you would say you liked Ott better.

A little of both. Nyquist got a reward contract and hasn't lived anywhere up to it yet. Ott earns his contract. Nyquist does not. Helm wasn't, Kronwall isn't and neither is Ericsson, Abby nor Howard. But the Red Wings are by far not the only team overpaying mediocrity. 

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

A little of both. Nyquist got a reward contract and hasn't lived anywhere up to it yet. Ott earns his contract. Nyquist does not. Helm wasn't, Kronwall isn't and neither is Ericsson, Abby nor Howard. But the Red Wings are by far not the only team overpaying mediocrity. 

Not going to argue E, Abby (since his ext kicked in), or Howard.

Kronwall I think you are wrong, he signed a long term deal with a low cap hit and at the beginning he was a steal, near the end it hurts us. Overall it balances out.

As for Nyquist, he's on pace to get like 50-60 points and he's paid just over 4mil....what are your expectations for him?

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I actually like that Glendening was a walk-on. It's a good story. Kid just worked hard and despite the odds proved himself.

There was a time when Abdelkader was seen as only ever being a 4th liner. Perhaps Blash thinks he can do the same thing with Glendening that Babs did with Abby.

Abby IS a 3rd/4th liner, just like McCarty and Lapointe were.  Playing someone 18-20 minutes a night doesn't make them top 6 caliber.

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Abby IS a 3rd/4th liner, just like McCarty and Lapointe were.  Playing someone 18-20 minutes a night doesn't make them top 6 caliber.

Abby is a great complimentary piece in the top 6. Does he drive play? no. Does he contribute and add a different element? yes. Glendening doesnt need to be a top line offensive threat to be decent at an upgraded role.

McCarty had some skill and could play in the top 6, Abdelkader is competent in the top 6, Glendening is useless in the top 6...

Our top 9 should consist of Zetterberg, Nyquist, Mantha, Athanasiou, Larkin, Nielsen, Vanek, Tatar and one of Abdelkader / Helm / Sheahan... Glendening should never be anywhere close to the top 9, let alone top 6...

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Abby is a great complimentary piece in the top 6. Does he drive play? no. Does he contribute and add a different element? yes. Glendening doesnt need to be a top line offensive threat to be decent at an upgraded role.

just like McCarty and Lapointe.  When Lapointe wanted $4 mil in a non cap league, Holland let him walk.  He should have done the same with Abdelkader

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

McCarty had some skill and could play in the top 6, Abdelkader is competent in the top 6, Glendening is useless in the top 6...

Our top 9 should consist of Zetterberg, Nyquist, Mantha, Athanasiou, Larkin, Nielsen, Vanek, Tatar and one of Abdelkader / Helm / Sheahan... Glendening should never be anywhere close to the top 9, let alone top 6...

I agree.  Too bad our coach is a mouth breathing moron who isn't smart enough to know that.

Edited by DickieDunn

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

just like McCarty and Lapointe.  When Lapointe wanted $4 mil in a non cap league, Holland let him walk.  He should have done the same with Abdelkader.

Lapointe's deal was 5.2-5.5 million per year for 4 years in 2005. With inflation (used online calculator) that's 6.45-6.8 million per. Abby's caphit is 4.25. That's a substantial difference to me.

P.S. I'm sure we've had this discussion over you using this comparison before. Death, Taxes, and Dickie deriding the Abby deal.

43 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Lapointe's deal was 5.2-5.5 million per year for 4 years in 2005. With inflation (used online calculator) that's 6.45-6.8 million per. Abby's caphit is 4.25. That's a substantial difference to me.

P.S. I'm sure we've had this discussion over you using this comparison before. Death, Taxes, and Dickie deriding the Abby deal.

Dickie's response, we all have it memorized:

"It's the length of term that's the issue, he didn't earn it"

And the godam circle is complete for the 10th time this month.

There I just saved everyone another pointless repeated convo. Can we talk about something else now. 

Edited by kickazz

Kip, I don't feel like having both Larkin and AA at center is a must this year. I think both AA and Larkin have looked more comfortable on the wing and had a greater impact from that position. I'd still like to keep Larkin at center, in case Z hits a wall and because Larkin becoming a top center is pretty important to the future (perhaps near future). But why not keep AA on wing and playing with better linemates and getting better minutes? Him being on the 4th was just due to it being his 1st game back - he was getting on higher lines before the injury. Players like Z and I'm sure many others, enter the league as wingers and then go back to center successfully later, so he could follow that path if we need him to. Anyway, we have Nielson and Helm signed to be the likely 2C and 3C for the next few years, so we don't even really need him for those roles for a while.

I'm excited to see a healthy team with AA, Larkin and Mantha. We could even put something like this out there:

Tat-Z-Mantha

AA-Niel-Abby

Ny-Lark-Vanek

Shea/Jurco-Helm-Glen

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Kip, I don't feel like having both Larkin and AA at center is a must this year. I think both AA and Larkin have looked more comfortable on the wing and had a greater impact from that position. I'd still like to keep Larkin at center, in case Z hits a wall and because Larkin becoming a top center is pretty important to the future (perhaps near future). But why not keep AA on wing and playing with better linemates and getting better minutes? Him being on the 4th was just due to it being his 1st game back - he was getting on higher lines before the injury. Players like Z and I'm sure many others, enter the league as wingers and then go back to center successfully later, so he could follow that path if we need him to. Anyway, we have Nielson and Helm signed to be the likely 2C and 3C for the next few years, so we don't even really need him for those roles for a while.

I'm excited to see a healthy team with AA, Larkin and Mantha. We could even put something like this out there:

Tat-Z-Mantha

AA-Niel-Abby

Ny-Lark-Vanek

Shea/Jurco-Helm-Glen

If Tatar and Nyquist don't start scoring soon-both are on pace for 12 goals this season, they need to have their minutes cut. Jurco has looked very good since returning from injury. Move Jurco up, Ott on the checking line and let T and N sit for a while.

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

If Tatar and Nyquist don't start scoring soon-both are on pace for 12 goals this season, they need to have their minutes cut. Jurco has looked very good since returning from injury. Move Jurco up, Ott on the checking line and let T and N sit for a while.

While I agree that they both need to put up some goals, Tatar has 4 points in the past 4 games - he's been good with Z and Mantha.

My lineup was more to show how the centers could line up if we were healthy and I kept some of the established chemistry together (mostly just Z's line and Nyquist+Vanek)

11 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Tat-Z-Mantha

AA-Niel-Abby

Ny-Lark-Vanek

Shea/Jurco-Helm-Glen

AA has hardly played any center in the NHL, less than a couple full games, so he's obviously been better on the wing.  But that doesn't mean that's where he should be playing.  He AND Larkin are our most offensively dynamic players.  AA is probably even better than Larkin is (offensively) but Blash won't give him the same opportunity for some reason.  It's extremely important that both turn into top 1 and 2 centers over the coming years and they aren't going to do that by never playing center (for the record I'd have Svech playing center too in GR).  At the end of the day I want the puck on the stick of the guys most able to make something happen with it.  Put them both in the middle, let  them get their reps, and if we miss the playoffs then so be it.  At least they'll grow as players.  Neilsen, Helm, Z, Sheahan, Glendening aren't the future of this organization down the middle, AA and Larkin are, and we're retarding that future by not allowing it to develop.  I'd do something like this with all healthy. 

Nyquist-Larkin-Vanek

Z-AA-Mantha

Tatar-Neilsen-Abby

Glen-Helm-Sheahan/Jurco

Even though Larkin plays wing, the puck seems to be on his stick more often than the other two he plays with. With AA it's not the same, he actually does play like a winger. 

I'm not too worried about Larkin not playing center because he still approaches his game as a center. The only downside is he doesn't get faceoff practice. 

I'm surprised his faceoffs didn't get better over the summer. I heard he was working on them with Luke Glendening for a while. Maybe he'll be like Evgeny Malkin and never actually become good at faceoffs. 

Edited by kickazz