• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

puckbags

Riley Sheahan ( aka Mr Teletubby)

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm thinking maybe it's something like...

To PIT: Sheahan
To DET: Pouliot + a pick

Not sure about the whole "deal is contingent on signing AA" bit. To me it seems like the trade would free up space to give AA what he wants. So trade first, then sign AA. Not the other way around. But I'm stupid, so what do I know.

I haven't really thought about what return would make sense for us. I guess Pouliot would be a worthwhile gamble, given our needs on defense. But I'm not convinced he's much better than what we have in the system. Dunno if we should be adding to the logjam, unless it's a really impressive defenseman.

Maybe just a draft pick or two? Then we'd be sending money out and not taking any back. Wouldn't free up much cap space, but every bit of space counts, especially for an organization like us that's right up against the cap ceiling.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

I haven't really thought about what return would make sense for us. I guess Pouliot would be a worthwhile gamble, given our needs on defense. But I'm not convinced he's much better than what we have in the system. Dunno if we should be adding to the logjam, unless it's a really impressive defenseman.

Maybe just a draft pick or two? Then we'd be sending money out and not taking any back. Wouldn't free up much cap space, but every bit of space counts, especially for an organization like us that's right up against the cap ceiling.

I'm not exactly high on this Pouliot fellow either. We do not need more mid-tier prospects. He was a former first rounder though like Sheahan, and younger. Maybe there's more there? Sounds like Ken and AA are only apart by 600K per right now, so I hope we don't move Sheahan just for the sake of moving him and cap space, albeit we do need it!

Just remembered Sheahan has the last goal at the Joe :confused: 

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm not exactly high on this Pouliot fellow either. We do not need more mid-tier prospects. He was a former first rounder though like Sheahan, and younger. Maybe there's more there? Sounds like Ken and AA are only apart by 600K per right now, so I hope we don't move Sheahan just for the sake of moving him and cap space, albeit we do need it!

Just remembered Sheahan has the last goal at the Joe :confused: 

Actually, the more I think about this, the less sure I am that there's anything to it. I'm not saying Friedman's making stuff up, just that Holland is Holland and will do absolutely everything in his power to avoid trading a roster player. Especially a former first-round pick who's young and 6'3 and plays center and plays in all situations and seems to be one of those low-maintenance Good Canadian Boys who respecks da system. And we'd be selling low on him. And we'd be selling low on him out of necessity, due to issues that Holland has created, which might not be a great look for Holland. Holland, like any and every GM, has a massive ego.

I know everyone is saying we can't sign AA without making some kind of move, and I guess that's true. But I just feel like we've been here so many times, with Holland always pulling an LTIR/waivers rabbit out of his hat. This is peak Wings fan cynicism, but I almost want to say four guys conveniently hitting LTIR at the start of the season is more likely than Holland trading Sheahan to the Penguins.

Holland will probably wiggle out of this. He always does. Which is fine, I guess. I'm not really in any hurry to see any one of our players traded at this time.

We'll see what happens. *shrug*

20 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Actually, the more I think about this, the less sure I am that there's anything to it. I'm not saying Friedman's making stuff up, just that Holland is Holland and will do absolutely everything in his power to avoid trading a roster player. Especially a former first-round pick who's young and 6'3 and plays center and plays in all situations and seems to be one of those low-maintenance Good Canadian Boys who respecks da system. And we'd be selling low on him. And we'd be selling low on him out of necessity, due to issues that Holland has created, which might not be a great look for Holland. Holland, like any and every GM, has a massive ego.

I know everyone is saying we can't sign AA without making some kind of move, and I guess that's true. But I just feel like we've been here so many times, with Holland always pulling an LTIR/waivers rabbit out of his hat. This is peak Wings fan cynicism, but I almost want to say four guys conveniently hitting LTIR at the start of the season is more likely than Holland trading Sheahan to the Penguins.

Holland will probably wiggle out of this. He always does. Which is fine, I guess. I'm not really in any hurry to see any one of our players traded at this time.

Bc its Elliot It's certain a Sheahan trade with PIT has been arranged, but Friedman seems to be totally guessing on Pouliot

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bc its Elliot It's certain a Sheahan trade with PIT has been arranged, but Friedman seems to be totally guessing on Pouliot

I fully believe that Holland and Rutherford have talked about it. And maybe they do have an arrangement in place. But actually pulling the trigger? I have a hard time imagining Holland actually making the trade, regardless of what we'd be getting in return. Because Holland doesn't make these trades. But I'm cynical, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Also, another thing: I don't see Holland booting a good soldier like Sheahan to accomodate a contract holdout RFA with less than a full season of NHL experience under his belt.

Truth. He'd probably sooner lower his offer on AA to league minimum b4 doing that.

13 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

What a disgrace that Sheman is wearing the A! Such a joke! "He's hard on the puck, an elite thinker, knows the process."

You want to complain about Sheahan getting an A in a preseason game? Please tell us who is more deserving over him in this game?...

7 hours ago, kliq said:

Who cares, its a pre-season game. This is just trying to find things to complain about.

*jingle* We here at LetsGoWings.com know that life is hard sometimes, that's why we ask you to come here and complain about everything. It will make you feel better for 7-8 seconds. Welcome, and #@%$ Holland. *jingle fades out*

Perhaps they gave him an A to show prospective trade partners that he's, like, a leader and stuff.

@DidSheahanScore needs to get lost and stop trolling...  He did.  He's got the last goal scored in the Joe, no?

Put "preseason" in place of "practice"in the infamous Allen Iverson tirade and we've got ourselves something right? 

So stupid.

So it sounds like from what both Mackey and Friendman are saying that Holland has a deal in place to send Riley Sheahan to Pittsburgh for Pouliot+pick, But it all hinges on AA resigning and the club offered him $1.9 million and AA and his agent are seeking $2.5 million so they're like $600,000 apart maybe they meet in the middle for $2.2 million for 2 years they could do it and still have cap left over. To either sign Parenteau or Booth once they put Sproul on LTIR or waive him.

I popped over to some Pens boards to see what their thoughts on the possible Sheahan for Pouliot (or whatever the return is) trade are.

Not one of them seems even the least bit concerned or worried about letting Pouliot go. For that matter, they don't seem overly interested (or disinterested) in obtaining Sheahan either. They're conversations quickly broke down into discussing this Zaripov fellow who is a forward from the KHL (mentioned in the Friedman article I originally posted). I guess Malkin wants Pittsburgh to sign him, but Rutherford/Sullivan may not be fans, and therefore Sheahan is an alternative. They also seem way more interested in prying AA from us in a possible trade. "His tremendous speed would really fit our (the Pens) system"

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 9/21/2017 at 7:08 PM, Dabura said:

Those are exactly the reasons I'm not keen on trading Sheahan. He'll never be a top 6, but I like him as a 3C. Who else is there if he is traded. Nielsen is a 2C, despite what some say and would be a waste on the 3rd line. Same with Larkin. Z is stil a top 6 forward. AA may mature into a center someday, but he's a winger at this point. Helm was a good 3C for a while, but with his durability issues, those days are behind him. Glendening? Nope. Plus, the idea of the Pens getting their coveted 3C because of cap issues makes me want to puke. I would rather keep him unless its a trade that makes the team better, not a trade that solves cap issues.

56 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Those are exactly the reasons I'm not keen on trading Sheahan. He'll never be a top 6, but I like him as a 3C. Who else is there if he is traded. Nielsen is a 2C, despite what some say and would be a waste on the 3rd line. Same with Larkin. Z is stil a top 6 forward. AA may mature into a center someday, but he's a winger at this point. Helm was a good 3C for a while, but with his durability issues, those days are behind him. Glendening? Nope. Plus, the idea of the Pens getting their coveted 3C because of cap issues makes me want to puke. I would rather keep him unless its a trade that makes the team better, not a trade that solves cap issues.

Completely disagree. Sheahan is slotted as the 4C as is, since we have Z, Larkin, Nielsen slotted in front of him at center. I think Helm would definitely also be a better option as 3C. Sheahan struggled last year because we played him at wing (and he's not so good at the wing) because he got squeezed out of his role. To me, he has no place on the team in any forseable future - perfect trade bait. 

Also, anyone who complains about Glendening as a 1.8 4th line center should recognize that we'll have Sheahan at 2.075 this year if we keep him.

10 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Completely disagree. Sheahan is slotted as the 4C as is, since we have Z, Larkin, Nielsen slotted in front of him at center. I think Helm would definitely also be a better option as 3C. Sheahan struggled last year because we played him at wing (and he's not so good at the wing) because he got squeezed out of his role. To me, he has no place on the team in any forseable future - perfect trade bait. 

Also, anyone who complains about Glendening as a 1.8 4th line center should recognize that we'll have Sheahan at 2.075 this year if we keep him.

I believe I said I "like" him as a 3C, not that he would be. As I said before, Nielsen should not be centering the 3rd line, IMO. Z is getting to an age where I think he should move back to LW. I like the idea of Z and a Larkin playing together so that they can be switched back and forth as Larkin will struggle at center at first. NIelsen centers 2nd, Glendening 4th, Sheahan 3rd. The Pens agree, which is why they are supposedly trying to acquire him.This is obviously not where Sheahan played last year. And I agree with you that that's why he struggled last year (which is why he should be moved back to C), and that he is paid way too much to be a 4C. The Wings best prospects aren't centers, so if they trade Sheahan, who do they have to play center when Z is retired and Nielsen's skills have declined? What if Larkin or AA end up as wingers? I don't have a problem with trading him now, but only if the deal is right which is unlikely because he has little value now. Why not put him back at center this year and increase his value for a trade later when we know we have the center position solidified for the foreseeable future?

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I believe I said I "like" him as a 3C, not that he would be. As I said before, Nielsen should not be centering the 3rd line, IMO. Z is getting to an age where I think he should move back to LW. I like the idea of Z and a Larkin playing together so that they can be switched back and forth as Larkin will struggle at center at first. NIelsen centers 2nd, Glendening 4th, Sheahan 3rd. The Pens agree, which is why they are supposedly trying to acquire him.This is obviously not where Sheahan played last year. And I agree with you that that's why he struggled last year (which is why he should be moved back to C), and that he is paid way too much to be a 4C. The Wings best prospects aren't centers, so if they trade Sheahan, who do they have to play center when Z is retired and Nielsen's skills have declined? What if Larkin or AA end up as wingers? I don't have a problem with trading him now, but only if the deal is right which is unlikely because he has little value now. Why not put him back at center this year and increase his value for a trade later when we know we have the center position solidified for the foreseeable future?

Even if Larkin and Z play together, I'd prefer Helm at 3C. Lark, Nielsen, Helm would still be ahead of him in my book. I agree Sheahan should be 4C to get him back into a position he's good at while he's still here. I just think there's better options for 3C , which is why I say ship him out. To put him at a place (3C) where he'd raised his trade value, you'd have to move 2 better canditates (Nielsen and Helm) to wing (where neither are great - Nielsen I don't really know) - I don't think that'd be a great option. 

As for how he plays into the future, we have Nielson and Helm for the next 5 and 4 years respectively as candidates for the 3C spot. As for the top 2 lines, you yourself said that Sheahan not going there, so why would we keep him around to hypothetically replace Z, Nielsen?. I think we're betting on Larkin, Rasmussen, AA(?) at this moment for those top 2 center in the future - plus future draft picks, of course. Keeping Sheahan around hoping he can be a fill in at 2C doesn't seem like it's worth it since I also don't think he's a 2C

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

3C isn't a position you would look to "solidify". It's a tweak you make, if needed, once you've got the important stuff covered. 

Like PVD, I think Sheahan has become superfluous with all the centers we have for the short/mid-term (and I even think Sheahan has the tools to be a better 3C than Helm), plus Larkin, Ras, AA, future picks and/or UFAs..., our center depth should not be an issue. If anything, we should worry about having too many 3C options without any good 1C options (and I think that probably is the fear of most). 

I had some hope that a switch to wing might result in a Franzen-esque emergence for Sheahan, but then basically the exact opposite of that happened. I don't necessarily want to just get rid of him for cap space. But if we can get that plus also some decent asset for a player who doesn't seem to have much of a role here going forward...

Just to be clear: I'd be ok with shipping Sheahan out. I just have a hard time seeing Holland doing it in September<-->December, unless he truly has no other choice. I can see Holland moving Sheahan at the trade deadline, assuming we suck this season and Sheahan doesn't have an especially good season.

Edited by Dabura