• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingfan1991

No one loses but Red Wings

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

But we're back to having one of the highest payrolls in the league, so we must be talented.  

That, right there, says either a lot about Holland or Blashill.  One of them is the probably and I'm leaning towards the latter.  I've never seen so many blown third period leads as I have since Blash has taken over as coach.

Blash would be on real thin ice with water pooling up to his ankles by now with pretty much any other franchise with the piss poor results he's gotten from the players he has. Sure the D has holes and there's no high end scoring talent, but if you look at the roster compared to some others, there's enough here to work with and at least compete respectabley. A lot of it just seems to be players being lazy and not playing hard and to the best of their abilities every night. The OT winner Philly scored a few nights ago is a perfect example. Schenn skates around Howard unmolested while Larkin stands at the far post and DD gets lost after a half ass shot block attempt on a shot that never came. Blash isn't holding guys accountable for s*** like that (Sheahan is still playing after an abysmal start that's continued till now. BENCH HIM!), so they keep rolling along half assing it. The only two who play hard pretty much every night are the two goaltenders, but they can't score goals. If it wasn't for Howard and Mrazek, this team would be so far in the basement that the season would already be over. The nights when either of them aren't channeling early-50's Sawchuk, it's a disaster. The D can't bail them out, and the team can't score.

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

That, right there, says either a lot about Holland or Blashill.  One of them is the probably and I'm leaning towards the latter.  I've never seen so many blown third period leads as I have since Blash has taken over as coach.

You're leaning the wrong way.  Holland has put this team together and decided to overpay EVERYBODY.  All these home grown jobbers also have no-trade clauses to boot.

I don't think any coach can turn this into a good playoff team.  Even Babcock barely made the playoffs his last few seasons, only to get bounced in the first round anyway.   

52 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You're leaning the wrong way.  Holland has put this team together and decided to overpay EVERYBODY.  All these home grown jobbers also have no-trade clauses to boot.

I don't think any coach can turn this into a good playoff team.  Even Babcock barely made the playoffs his last few seasons, only to get bounced in the first round anyway.   

Bah. I don't like writing the words. They imply pain for the future. However, all in all, you are correct in my opinion. We are where we are because of what this league decided long ago in regards to parity which probably affected us most of all teams. If you can't overpay for talent, you are effectively stuck, in regards to the debate going on.

Next step is what Pitt, Edm, Tor have done for many years. Pain and misery..

4 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

. We are where we are because of what this league decided long ago in regards to parity which probably affected us most of all teams. If you can't overpay for talent, you are effectively stuck, in regards to the debate going on.

Next step is what Pitt, Edm, Tor have done for many years. Pain and misery..

Well, the cap came into effect in 2005. Many predicted the Wings to be in the bottom of the league within a few years. It took 12, with two finals appearances and one Cup along the way. Not bad.

9 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

There's plenty of blame. Holland built a mediocre team and Blashill has 3/4 of them playing below their capabilities

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity Dickie......do you believe that no team should have have a down period? Or are you under the impression that a team should be a contender every year no exceptions? 

Holland isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless Illitch croaks and his son makes it happen.

Mr. I can't be happy if his task was making the playoffs because this cap team doesn't look like they'll make it.

If Chris really is pro rebuild he can't be happy either so at least Hollands seat will get warmer. But of course the sad reality is Blashill will get the axe first

1 minute ago, frankgrimes said:

Mr. I can't be happy if his task was making the playoffs because this cap team doesn't look like they'll make it.

If Chris really is pro rebuild he can't be happy either so at least Hollands seat will get warmer. But of course the sad reality is Blashill will get the axe first

He seems more interested in getting the Tigers a World Series at this point. Which I don't blame him for, it's been over 30 years. He's a lot closer to winning there than he is with the Wings right now. He neglected the Tigers for a long time while the Wings were winning Cups. But it must piss him off that he's spending up to the cap for the Wings to be a bottom feeder.

He seems more interested in getting the Tigers a World Series at this point. Which I don't blame him for, it's been over 30 years. He's a lot closer to winning there than he is with the Wings right now. He neglected the Tigers for a long time while the Wings were winning Cups. But it must piss him off that he's spending up to the cap for the Wings to be a bottom feeder.

That's exactly my point Mr. I is providing a ton of resources (spending to the cap), add the huge scouting stuff, top notch gagdets and what not. I don't care how rich someone is but if it were me and someone told me all that anti rebuild stuff and basically wasting my money I would have some hard questions.

Imagine if Holland had to GM a budget team with less resources.

15 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

another Word Series, why? to get swept again. At least the Lions are doing ok thus far, so I got that going for myself, which is nice

11 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

That's exactly my point Mr. I is providing a ton of resources (spending to the cap), add the huge scouting stuff, top notch gagdets and what not. I don't care how rich someone is but if it were me and someone told me all that anti rebuild stuff and basically wasting my money I would have some hard questions.

Imagine if Holland had to GM a budget team with less resources.

It also seems like admitting you're rebuilding means you're bad or you're doing something wrong. Aren't the Pats in a rebuild process this year and still kickin A and leading the Conference? They should just suck up their pride and admit these harsh times and stop treating us fans like babies by keeping us in the dark on where the team is really at.

Edited by NerveDamage

7 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

another Word Series, why? to get swept again. At least the Lions are doing ok thus far

Cause they need one. Enough teasing, just get er done. It's like the Atlanta Braves of the 1990's-2000's. Something like 15 straight division titles, but only one WS to show for it.

21 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Cause they need one. Enough teasing, just get er done. It's like the Atlanta Braves of the 1990's-2000's. Something like 15 straight division titles, but only one WS to show for it.

I guess to show up is better than no show at all

2 hours ago, kliq said:
Out of curiosity Dickie......do you believe that no team should have have a down period? Or are you under the impression that a team should be a contender every year no exceptions? 

Just stating facts. Down periods and rebuilds are inevitable. Holland has bungled the job though, and Blashill is making it worse.

What Holland needs to do is trade anyone over the age of 26 that he can and tell Blashill "your job is to turn kids into NHL players, don't worry about the record right now.  Stop benching them for a couple bad periods and stop trying to be Mike Babcock."

Edited by DickieDunn

11 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

There's plenty of blame. Holland built a mediocre team and Blashill has 3/4 of them playing below their capabilities

Are they playing below their capabilities?  I don't see anything special in these players.

10 hours ago, chaps80 said:

That may be OK for most of the posters on this forum, but for the out of town fans (like myself), that drives us insane.  I could care less about the Tigers.  

Nyquist and Tatar have both shown the ability to score 25+ goals. Dekeyaser is worse than he was 2 years ago. Green hasn't scored as much as he had. Larkin stepped back after a half season of Blashill. AA keeps getting screwed with. And so on.

25 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Nyquist and Tatar have both shown the ability to score 25+ goals. Dekeyaser is worse than he was 2 years ago. Green hasn't scored as much as he had. Larkin stepped back after a half season of Blashill. AA keeps getting screwed with. And so on.

Forget about Nyquist and Tatar.  What they showed in the past is irrelevant at this point.  Their numbers over the last year and a half should show they're nothing special.    

Larkin is disappointing, but his play tailed off last season after the ASG.  I wonder if other teams have figured him out?  

The problem with Nyquist and Tatar, in my view, is they can work well playing with other top end talent, but don't necessarily make other players around them better (like the Datsyuks, Crosby's, Kane's of the world).  They are more supportive offensive talents rather than game changers themselves.  Thus, given this teams current roster, they struggle.