• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

The Dead Wings.

Rate this topic

Some of us are old enough to remember this dark period of time in our great franchises history. Years where we were lucky to win 25 games per year. Well as much as it pains me to say this, those days have returned. Lots hope it isn't a 10 years long period of pain.

I was looking at the standings earlier. The Wings have 9 Regulation/Overtime win this season. The only team with fewer is the Yotes. 1 other team was tied with us. We are now a bottom 3 team in the league. The Darkness has returned......

It was inevitable. I'm pretty sure that every other team in the league has missed the playoffs at least once since the cap was introduced. The Wings have been fortunate enough not to, but keeping that going has screwed the roster up pretty bad. So instead of maybe one or two years, we might be looking at a few years to get back in contention. Just gotta roll with it. Or don't. Whatever.

1 hour ago, Richdg said:

Some of us are old enough to remember this dark period of time in our great franchises history. Years where we were lucky to win 25 games per year. Well as much as it pains me to say this, those days have returned. Lots hope it isn't a 10 years long period of pain.

I was looking at the standings earlier. The Wings have 9 Regulation/Overtime win this season. The only team with fewer is the Yotes. 1 other team was tied with us. We are now a bottom 3 team in the league. The Darkness has returned......

I'm sure you will misinterpret this post as me defending the Wings which it isn't. They are not playing well right now and I am not going to sugar coat that, but since when did ROW overtake Points as the ranking system in the NHL? ROW is a tiebreaker and nothing more. The Wings are 20th in the league right now in a 5 way tie, with tiebreaker they are 24th. You don't need to say they are "bottom 3" to make a point about their poor play, you know what get that accross...their poor play! All that does it make you sound over the top and hurts your credibility as a poster. Hyperbole just annoys people.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm mad too, but you can also say they are only 6 points out of being the 2nd seed in their division.

Remember also, the 2009 Penguins were out of the playoffs at this point as well...isn't this fun? :P

1/3 of the season and 5 points out. Which is the safer bet? We make that up or triple the points we are behind at the end of the year? I understand that people like to talk points which is how teams make the playoffs. But the points system is also masking how bad we have become. BTW we are not bottomed out yet. It will get worse before it gets better.

32 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Ah yes - the mid 80's.

Back when I became a fan...High School, awesome music, pimples, pretty co-eds, big hair, paper route, pretty co-eds, pimples, paying for cable w/paper route $$$...Did I mention pimples, and pretty co-eds?

Mid 80's and we finally were trending back up as a team. Great period of time though........

I don't think this will be a 10 year downswing, but I do think it could stretch 5+ years.  We have a lot of bad contracts on the books, some all the way out to 2022 (Nielsen, who will be well past prime at that point).  So the lack of financial flexibility could hurt us for a while.  

As I have emphasized in other threads, I really hope management makes the right decision to be sellers this season and get some return for our assets.

2 hours ago, Richdg said:

1/3 of the season and 5 points out. Which is the safer bet? We make that up or triple the points we are behind at the end of the year? I understand that people like to talk points which is how teams make the playoffs. But the points system is also masking how bad we have become. BTW we are not bottomed out yet. It will get worse before it gets better.

Mid 80's and we finally were trending back up as a team. Great period of time though........

Preach!

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm mad too, but you can also say they are only 6 points out of being the 2nd seed in their division.

Remember also, the 2009 Penguins were out of the playoffs at this point as well...isn't this fun? :P

Ya but the Pens were just playing bad where as the Wings this year lack talent and play bad

I wish those days had returned.

Those teams were fun as they had Probert, Kocur, and other goons that would be among the league leaders in fights and PIM.  And they had a young star player named Steve Yzerman.

Name me one exciting thing about this team?  

I'm old enough, but wasn't a fan until 1990, so I've never experienced this.  Back when I was young, I was an Oilers fan (so in the 80s, certainly didn't experience this with them).  Since there was no natural team to cheer for where I grew up, in my very young age, I decided to cheer for the best at the time...I've evolved since then.  My switch to the Wings coincided with the entrance of Fedorov and bit by the departure of Messier to the Rangers (though that was 1 year later).

1 hour ago, evilmrt said:

What a dumb topic. 

You forfeit your right to freak out based on one criteria: 

The Maple Laffs are worse. 

Hi Kenny. Nice to see you on this forum. So are we fans really supposed to buy the "sometimes less can be more" position of the front office? We are supposed to be ok with driving away Datsyuk and very soon Z? mark my words by the summer of 2018 he will be gone, but his cap hit will live on! Are we fans supposed to be ok with soon having 12+ million tied up in 3 guys that can't combined score 40 goals: Nyquist, Helm, and Tatar? Are we fans supposed to be ok with the fact that over the last 15 years of drafting you haven't produced 1 bona fide star? (yes there is still hope for the last few picks: Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, and in 4 or 5 years Cholowski).

The first step is fixing a problem is admitting you have one. There has been nothing coming from the front office that shows they think we have a serious problem. The talk is all about parity, less is more, injuries, effects of the cap, etc....

2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Those teams were fun as they had Probert, Kocur, and other goons that would be among the league leaders in fights and PIM.  And they had a young star player named Steve Yzerman.

1. It will have a brand-new state of the art Arena to stink up starting next year... that must be exciting to some!?!?!?

1a. No more JLA wizz troughs is actually pretty exciting

Edited by The Secret
Adding more content

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

I have a feeling you were waiting years to make this thread. That's the only way ROW of all things could be used as a supporting argument lol.

Waiting? Hell no. I have been warning of this since I joined this forum 4/5 years ago. My very first post was called: The Trueth about our Decline. Or something like that, man it has been a long time. its not like I am some hockey genius either. It is common since. You can't bleed off high end talent like we have been, fail to replace them with anything close to the same ability, and expect to remain on top.We have been trending down since 09 and it will be 2-3 more years before we finally bottom out.

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Ah yes - the mid 80's.

Back when I became a fan...High School, awesome music, pimples, pretty co-eds, big hair, paper route, pretty co-eds, pimples, paying for cable w/paper route $$$...Did I mention pimples, and pretty co-eds?

Since you brought up the 80's, here is the RW's new/old theme song.....

You can't even compare this garbage to the Dead WIng-era teams. The Dead Wing teams had some star power, had some old favourites that were beyond their primes AND it had to 2 toughest SOBs the league had ever seen... The games were still alot of fun to watch.

This team is so bloody boring. I fell asleep (again) during last nights game it the shots after half the game were LA 19 - Detroit 6... 6 flipping shots on net in almost 2 periods? I'm thinking we could do a whole-sale swap with the Griffin's and we'd be in better shape then now... couldn't be any worse.

2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Ya, they are very hard to watch. No players I am super passionate about, no star power, no goon squad, no offense, no scoring chances...Sad really.