• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Does this week define this team's chances?

Rate this topic

3 games this week and every game is a 4 pointer

3 Carolina - GP 31 Pts 33

4 Tampa -   GP 32 Pts 33

5 Florida -  GP 32 Pts 33

6 Detroit -  GP 32 Pts 32

After tonight we are even with Boston in GP. Could be down 5( reg loss) or 4(loser point) or 3 (win) to them

For as crappy as we have been playing its amazing we are still semi in the hunt. Woulda/Shoulda done more with the homestand. 

Of course we're still in the hunt.  It's only December.  You have to be pretty bad to be realistically eliminated from playoff contention by mid-December.  

It could be that the standings will stay close all year, though, like they have the last few years.  In which case, we won't know by early March whether this team has a chance or not.  

9 hours ago, Number19 said:

You never really notice how bad the NHL point system is until you're a terrible team and can fully appreciate the fact that you're still in the hunt after losing more than half your games.

Even if you got rid of the points system and went by something like "wins" like the NBA does, it would still be pretty similar. It's not the point system, it's more like 15 teams in this league are all equally good/bad and only a handful are extremely bad or extremely good. 

18 hours ago, Number19 said:

You never really notice how bad the NHL point system is until you're a terrible team and can fully appreciate the fact that you're still in the hunt after losing more than half your games.

This is what the NHL wants though. A team out of it by mid December is unlikely to pull a strong attendance unless they are a traditional hockey market.

Does this week define the teams playoff chances? No. Does it define whether Blashill has a job in the new year? God I hope so.

8 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

This is what the NHL wants though. A team out of it by mid December is unlikely to pull a strong attendance unless they are a traditional hockey market.

Ya, you nailed it. From a business perspective, parity makes sense as it leads to more fan bases actually watching/going to games come spring. From a fan perspective of a team like the Wings, it sucks. I miss the days where a bad contract meant nothing other then it's effect on net profit. 

41 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I hate to be the one to keep harping, but over the years  it's been shown that teams that aren't in the top 8 in their respective conference by the end of the American Thanksgiving weekend aren't likely to be in the top 8 come mid April.

I'm the pessimist with you being the optimist. 

The Wings are gonna have to go on some crazy win streaks in order to make the playoffs this year...With this team - I just don't see that happening.

Meh, I wouldnt call my comments optimistic. I said I think this week means nothing either way. I didnt say that I thought they would make the playoffs.

Unfortunately(or maybe not so unfortunately it seems) I haven't been able to stay on top of the Wings as much this year as I have in the past. I was able to take my family down I-4 to Tampa last night though and it was my two young Sons' 1st Wings game. Man was that brutal haha! What is going on with this team?! That was almost embarrassing for me in the stands. This team is going nowhere when Hank is once again the only player that looks like they give a crap. Larkin can't handle the puck, Baby goalie was hot garbage, and the entire defensive core were especially awful last night. I grew up in the "Dead Things" era and that is what that game brought back memories of for me. 

Larkin is very one dimensional, maybe eventually his game will develop more then just speed. AA and mantha have been our best young guys by far this season. Both seem to have higher a higher ceiling in my opinion then Larkin.

Towards the end of Z's career we can always remember how big this guys heart is, a true warrior.

Kronwall is basically a double peg-leg pirate with 2 bum knee's he might try and finish his contract but i dont know is his body will allow it.

Colorado Av's have been horrid this year(23pts in 31gp) maybe we can shake up both teams with a trade maybe 2-4 players going both ways.

I didn't think that this week would mean much for our chances, but Green and Howard's injuries have kind of changed the outlook, i think. I hate to say it, but I could see the possibility of things getting out of hand. They've been 2 of our best players this year and we've already been struggling with them.

Time for players like Larkin, Mrazek, AA, Nyquist, Tatar etc. to step up big time or it could get rough. Blashill, of course, needs to slot AA in a better spot and switch Glendening to get the lines in better order so that this can happen.

On the bright side, we are playing a whole lot of young players now and it could be a good trial for them, if you're thinking about the long run.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

You guys are overreacting.  They don't hand out the Stanley Cup in December.  

No, but you can play your way out of contention by then.

This whole season defines this team. Mediocre talent being coached down two levels.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Wingnut1989 said:

Larkin is very one dimensional, maybe eventually his game will develop more then just speed. AA and mantha have been our best young guys by far this season. Both seem to have higher a higher ceiling in my opinion then Larkin.

Colorado Av's have been horrid this year(23pts in 31gp) maybe we can shake up both teams with a trade maybe 2-4 players going both ways.

1. Mantha maybe. AA no way. While I like AA he is just as one dimensional as Larkin in that his game is 95% speed. Larkin though has a better offensive game. Lets also not forget that Larkin is two years younger than both of them and has already established himself as an NHL player. Sure he may not be the future franchise player he looked like in the first 3 months of his career but hes still the best young talent in the organization. 

2. Two crap teams trading crap players from crap rosters does not uncrapify either team. 

2 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

his game is 95% speed

Well, but his (Larkin´s) speed is also more than 50% of his inefficiency, he´s oftenly driving out of positions just because of his high speed. Just add some EXPs and cool down his legs sometimes and he´ll be just fine. He´s still developing a lot. AA is imho better shooter from the point, btw. 

For the ´out of p-o´ topic, guys - do you realize that we´re actually 10pts from 2nd WC? Ok, stay cool, they say, there´s no SC in Dec, they say, follow the process, they say.. We´re not ok, it´s not only with Habs while Price isn´t going to cripple himself once again this year, there´s also Florida, even Tampa is out of p-o currently. I do expect Sens going down for sure, but this is still not enough and we can´t expect WC positions for this division.