• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Pilgrimage to Detroit - Must Do Things

Rate this topic

Hi fellow LGWers

In January, and after a 17 year-long wait, I'll finally make my pilgrimage to Detroit and say farewell to the Joe. I'll be in town from the 11th to the 23th and will be attending the Pens, Habs, Bruins and Rangers games and will, most likely, be watching the Stars and Buffalo games at Hockeytown Cafe. What are, in your opinion, the must do things in Detroit? aside from the sightseeing and visiting Detroit's landmarks I'd like to skate on a frozen pond, perhaps play a pickup game, visit a comedy club, Cheli's Chili Bar, go feather bowling, have a coney dog and one of JimmyEmeryHunter's "world wide web famous" gas stop nachos, just to list a few...

I want to make the best out of my trip, so I've searched on what are the top places to visit, but, I know you guys have better input that what can be found on a quick google search. So any comments are highly appreciated and If any of you would like to meet up and watch a game, we could arrange an LGW meeting, or something.

Anyways, Thanks in advance and LGRW!!!

large.gallery_23619_93_217784.jpg

I would recommend Lafayette Coney Island for a bite before or after a game for a genuine coney. A great place for feather bowling is Cadieux Cafe. Some other good bars for before or after a game are Anchor Bar and Andrew's on the Corner, both of which have shuttles. Frozen pond, your best bet is probably Clark Park in Detroit. If you're looking for an adventure, could check out Belle Isle to shovel off your own pond, if it's cold enough. For a comedy club, the only one I know of is Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak. If it's your bag of tea, I would check out the DIA, just a cool building in general. The Midtown area in general is making a lot of strides in the past years. Traffic Jam is a good spot in Midtown. Eastern Market is another cool spot downtown - is a good place to walk around. Finally I would suggest a place to get true Detroit style pizza, Niki's in Greektown or any Buddy's location, there are several. Oh and get some Better Made potato chips, preferably barbecue. 

6 minutes ago, Ram said:

I would recommend Lafayette Coney Island for a bite before or after a game for a genuine coney. A great place for feather bowling is Cadieux Cafe. Some other good bars for before or after a game are Anchor Bar and Andrew's on the Corner, both of which have shuttles. Frozen pond, your best bet is probably Clark Park in Detroit. If you're looking for an adventure, could check out Belle Isle to shovel off your own pond, if it's cold enough. For a comedy club, the only one I know of is Mark Ridley's Comedy Castle in Royal Oak. If it's your bag of tea, I would check out the DIA, just a cool building in general. The Midtown area in general is making a lot of strides in the past years. Traffic Jam is a good spot in Midtown. Eastern Market is another cool spot downtown - is a good place to walk around. Finally I would suggest a place to get true Detroit style pizza, Niki's in Greektown or any Buddy's location, there are several. Oh and get some Better Made potato chips, preferably barbecue. 

Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-11.56.00-AM.pn

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

The Henry Ford museum, and Ford Dearborn truck plants are a must IMHO.

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/ford-rouge-factory-tour/

Make sure you drink a few extra beverages just before, and during the game...Because troughs.

you learn something new everyday, lol I had to google it

I forgot that one must experience the lines at the Joe's washrooms on a full bladder

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Be sure to take pics - we'll want to see your time spent at the games, and in/around Detroit.

thanks, I will. I was thinking I might need to get a selfie stick to be in the pics, I never would have thought I'd be getting one of these

I second the suggestion of the Henry Ford museum/greenfield village. Also, the Motown Hitsville U.S.A. house for some music history. 

I've never been to Cheli's bar, but I always go to Cobo Joe's before the games. It's right by the arena, filled with fans and the bartenders spit fire behind the bar.  

2 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

Hi fellow LGWers

In January, and after a 17 year-long wait, I'll finally make my pilgrimage to Detroit and say farewell to the Joe. I'll be in town from the 11th to the 23th and will be attending the Pens, Habs, Bruins and Rangers games and will, most likely, be watching the Stars and Buffalo games at Hockeytown Cafe. What are, in your opinion, the must do things in Detroit? aside from the sightseeing and visiting Detroit's landmarks I'd like to skate on a frozen pond, perhaps play a pickup game, visit a comedy club, Cheli's Chili Bar, go feather bowling, have a coney dog and one of JimmyEmeryHunter's "world wide web famous" gas stop nachos, just to list a few...

I want to make the best out of my trip, so I've searched on what are the top places to visit, but, I know you guys have better input that what can be found on a quick google search. So any comments are highly appreciated and If any of you would like to meet up and watch a game, we could arrange an LGW meeting, or something.

Anyways, Thanks in advance and LGRW!!!

large.gallery_23619_93_217784.jpg

I am doing the same thing in March, I'm from Western Canada, 37 years old, Wings fan for 25 years and I've never been to the Joe.  My trip won't be as long as yours but I hope to see the Hawks and Rangers.  I will be hijacking off this thread for ideas. :) 

Must do things.......get back home without getting your wallet jacked. Its had to be said....

For real though avoid the new Wahlburgers. Lots of good food down near Greektown. How about a vacation road trip to see the baby Wings?

Edited by GoalieManPat

6 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

Must do things.......get back home without getting your wallet jacked. Its had to be said....

For real though avoid the new Wahlburgers. Lots of good food down near Greektown.

I knew I should have titled it Do's and Don'ts. ;)

I'll be staying near Wayne State U and was planning on walking to most places. Any neighbors or areas I should avoid?

Edited by NerveDamage

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

If ya got a sweet tooth - I'd say a visit to the Astoria Pastry Shop in the Greektown area is a must.

There's a good number of bars/restaurants in the Greektown area as well that'll offer shuttle bus to the game, and there's also the 'People Mover' that has a stop there as well.

Check out the FOX Theatre if you want to catch a show in a historic art deco palace.

For further cultural immersion - you can cross the Ambassador Bridge into Canada...Because Windsor Ballet.

No good strip club recommendations for the newbie?  

Cobo Joe's is always a riot before a game. Slows if you need a BBQ fix. Old Shillelagh for live Irish music. Detroit Brewing for good craft beer. Pretty much anyplace on Monroe is a good time. And of course, if you're feeling real ambitious, spend a few hours in Bouzouki's

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

I knew I should have titled it Do's and Don'ts. ;)

I'll be staying near Wayne State U and was planning on walking to most places. Any neighbors or areas I should avoid?

If you're staying near Wayne State I would check out Motor City Brewery for some awesome pizza and beer, and across the street from them is Jolly Pumpkin, which specializes in sour beers, and also has a cool menu.  Traffic Jam is right there too (mentioned above), but I personally am not much of a fan of that place (but don't take my word for it, give it a shot anyway if you're looking to explore the local scene).  Hopcat kinda give me a Buffalo Wild Wings vibe to it, although their specialty is crack fries rather than wings, and their beer selection they have on tap.  I'm personally not too big on this place either.  Selden Standard is phenomenal and is up near where you're staying, too.  I would 100% hit that place up.  You're also gonna be close to the Detroit Institute of Arts, which I would also recommend.  For lunch/sandwiches I would head over to Mudgie's or Russell Street Deli (RSD is in Eastern Market, if you're going there try to plan it for a Saturday morning to experience the farmer's market.  Supino's pizza down there is also excellent).

The aformentioned fowling:  Its football + bowling.  Great atmosphere.  A little bit farther out from where you're staying.

Closer to downtown Hockeytown Cafe and Chelis are good classic Detroit sports bars, but I would also check out Cliff Bells right down the road from them.  Its been a staple of the Detroit Jazz scene for ages and is a great place to grab some drinks, a bite to eat and listen to some great live music.

Punch Bowl Social is also downtown but has a lot to do, including bowling, darts, arcade games, ping pong, foosball, a bunch of other things, and great food and drinks of course.  Its a fun place.

Republic is also great.  Their thing is locally sourced ingredients when possible, and an eclectic menu that changes with the seasons.  I forget the actual term, but they also serve as a "shared table" kinda experience, meaning someone orders something and its expected that everyone at the table partakes in that particular menu option, so you'll end up trying several things off the menu.

Lafayette and American Coney Island are classic coney places.  They're supposed to be bitter rivals from the same family, and its a city divided as to which one is the superior coney dog.  They taste the same to me lol.  Lafayette is more of a hole in the wall vibe, American is a bit more polished.  They're next door to each other so grab one of each, determine which one is better and join the war.

Slows has legit barbecue, Sweetwater Tavern has legit wings.

Breakfast places: Hudson Cafe, Dime Store I both recommend.

In terms of skating, campus martius has an outdoor rink at the heart of downtown which can be romantic, especially at night.

There's really so many places that have opened up in the past few years I haven't been able to keep up.  For every place I've been to there's probably 10 that I haven't, and most of these places have awesome reviews.  Above all, I would recommend going downtown some evening and just walking around and see where the night takes you.  The safe areas get a lot of foot traffic these days so itll be pretty intuitive for you to identify.  If you end up wandering into a dangerous neighborhood all of a sudden you're the only one around and all the buildings are dilapidated.  Just use common sense.  And I second that you have to supply us with pics afterward.

Edited by Echolalia

9 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Well if you're adventurous the Griffins are only about 2-2.5 hours west in the great city of Grand Rapids.

That was part of my original plan, they play the wolves on the 20th and Monsters on the 21st and I could barely make it back for the Rangers game, which is the 22nd at noon. the thing that threw me off was the 4 hr-Greyhound trip and you know ...the icy roads. but I'm tempted to go to GR. Anyone up for a Road Trip?

2 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

yeah, I checked those out and center ice first row was around $35, I think it includes a beverage and a hot dog

I mean if you have a free day or two it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get a hotel and check out Grand Rapids if you're considering heading over there for a game.  That is a wonderful city.