• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

As of this morning I think we would be drafting 7th if everything stayed as is.  If the first six picks were Nolan Patrick, Tim Liljegren, Nicholas Hague, Michael Rasmussen, Max Comtois, and Gabe Vilardi, who would you pick?  My choices would be Foote or Popugayev.

I have no idea, I haven't even considered potential draftees for next year at this point, however, from what I've heard from the experts, the 2017 draft year looks pretty weak (take that with a grain of salt though, hard to project 17/18 year olds).

2 hours ago, HoweFan said:

As of this morning I think we would be drafting 7th if everything stayed as is.  If the first six picks were Nolan Patrick, Tim Liljegren, Nicholas Hague, Michael Rasmussen, Max Comtois, and Gabe Vilardi, who would you pick?  My choices would be Foote or Popugayev.

Hey now, stealing my thunder? LOL. To early to even think about this. That being said, Foote is my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.

23 hours ago, HoweFan said:

Foote without question. Though I am definitely not ruling out this team ending up with a top 2 pick by the end. 

56 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Foote without question. Though I am definitely not ruling out this team ending up with a top 2 pick by the end. 

Neither am I, and I actually wouldn't be too upset with it tbh. I think a bad finish will finally tell KH that he can't get by with mediocre band aids to try and sneak into the playoffs, and instead that it's time for a few changes. I do fear however that if KH does a Dombrowski and sells off a few pending FA's for prospects he'll get fired by the Illitch crew and thus he won't do anything even if we're out of a playoff spot in february...

Maybe chance for a new era, what with moving to LCA next year. 

22 minutes ago, wings4thecup06 said:

Neither am I, and I actually wouldn't be too upset with it tbh. I think a bad finish will finally tell KH that he can't get by with mediocre band aids to try and sneak into the playoffs, and instead that it's time for a few changes. I do fear however that if KH does a Dombrowski and sells off a few pending FA's for prospects he'll get fired by the Illitch crew and thus he won't do anything even if we're out of a playoff spot in february...

Maybe chance for a new era, what with moving to LCA next year. 

I'm in the same boat. As hard as it is to stomach, this team needs a bottom 5 finish. Badly. The pieces are there to turn it around fairly quickly, but the playoff streak ending and getting a high-end player from the draft are two things that need to happen to steer things in the right direction again. Once that streak ends, the franchise can finally stop having to live up to it. 

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Our luck is that the Wings will draft a handful of top 10 over the next 4 years, but none of them turn out...

Am I the only one who's surprised by what the Leafs had done these past few years regarding how well they've drafted?

Hoping if/when the wheels fall off the bus - the Wings can do the same.

The Leafs have been stockpiling talent for a few years now, much like how we have been doing. They then added Marner and Mathews to the mix with a couple bad years, and are very much a team on the rise again. But they had to have the wheels fall off to get where they are now. So if it takes a bad year or two for us to get there, sign me up.

The playoffs aren't much fun when we're out in 5 games. We simply make the playoffs long enough to not get to draft high. The team has valuable pieces to move at the deadline. Vanek could probably net a first rounder as is if he keeps playing the way he has before he got hurt. Wouldn't be the first time a contender traded a first for a rental. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

The Leafs have been stockpiling talent for a few years now, much like how we have been doing. They then added Marner and Mathews to the mix with a couple bad years, and are very much a team on the rise again. But they had to have the wheels fall off to get where they are now. So if it takes a bad year or two for us to get there, sign me up.

The playoffs aren't much fun when we're out in 5 games. We simply make the playoffs long enough to not get to draft high. The team has valuable pieces to move at the deadline. Vanek could probably net a first rounder as is if he keeps playing the way he has before he got hurt. Wouldn't be the first time a contender traded a first for a rental. 

I genuinely feel this won't happen though, even if it's obvious we're out of the playoff picture before the deadline. 

I never thought they'd fire Dombrowski (but they did) and when he traded away pending FA's Price, Cespedes etc for high end prospects which will definitely help them the next few years, I thought it was incredibly smart. But it ended with him losing his job. 

I get the feeling the same will happen with the Wings if KH did something similar. Trade Smith, Vanek, hell even Howard if he keeps playing this well. (Some here will argue KH should be long gone and it wouldn't be a bad thing). My point is that especially with the new building opening next year I don't think ownership will want to see the Wings as sellers or even missing the playoffs the year before it opens.....

If they do take that approach and don't sell and just sit and watch more players walk for free (and we lose Howard or Mrazek in the expansion draft - sod's law we'd lose Mrazek as they'd protect Howard) it'll hamper us some more I feel

9 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Screw 7th. If you are not going to make the playoffs you are better up just sucking it up and getting a top 3. 

"Suck it up and suck!"

12 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Still would be so weird to have Adam Foote's son be a Detroit Red Wing. That would mean Footie would have to cheer for the Wings and actually wear some gear! :lol:

Our ultimate revenge. >:}

Tank it, make a deal for TWO top defenders at the deadline, clear out other players for picks at the deadline. Get the lottery #1. Draft Nolan Patrick. Kronwall retires, lose Marchenko in the expansion draft. Re-sign Ott, and Vanek. Miller walks. Re-sign Jurco and AA.

With this lineup, there will ne no need to persue anyone on July 1, except re-signing Ott and Vanek.

The plan will be to draft Patrick and bring him in with the new Arena. So it is written. So it will be.

Here's my 23 man team to open the 2017-18 season and The LCA

Z - Larkin - Mantha

AA - Nielsen - Vanek

Jurco - Patrick - Abby

Sheahan - Glenny - Ott

Bertuzzi, Frk

Fowler - Hamilton

DD - Sproul

Ericsson - Green

Renouf

Mrazek

Coreau

Leave me alone, that's the ONLY way I will be ok with tanking...

Edited by LeftWinger

Speaking of drafts, it sucks with where the team is at this point that Holland basically traded one year of Dat's contract for Chychrun. He may as well have kept the money on the books and took him in the draft..things can't really get much worse from here.

Hindsight for sure, but hey we'd be in the same boat with Stamkos. This is two years in a row now...he may be damaged goods. 

But, there is time this year to dump players and really load up for next era. If we can get Hamilton and Fowler, and as long as we can hang on to Sproul, we won't miss Chycrun too much. 

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Hindsight for sure, but hey we'd be in the same boat with Stamkos. This is two years in a row now...he may be damaged goods. 

But, there is time this year to dump players and really load up for next era. If we can get Hamilton and Fowler, and as long as we can hang on to Sproul, we won't miss Chycrun too much. 

I want Hamilton, he was the best d man on the ice the other night against us.  Steady, calm, good puck mover.  I think Howard would've been possible trade bait to the Flames but we will let him play enough to suck and lose all his trade value.  Any 2 way combo of Hamilton/Fowler/Shattenkirk would be great but in my wildest dreams I want OEL.  

I think with Burns signing for $8M cap, Shattenkirk is going to get way overpaid for my liking. If we could trade for Fowler and Hamilton at least their hot is much less for awhile. I'm afraid of what they're next contracts will be, but we'd worry about that then.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Yeah, I wasn't that big on getting Stamkos, not as much as others were anyways. I didn't think the Wings had a shot at him. Why leave a cup contender in Tampa to go to a rebuild on the fly/clusterf*** in Detroit. lol And he didn't.

If Hamilton is available and Calgary wants Howard, now would be the time, because Howard is due for his yearly suck fest at some point. If not Hamilton, take Elliott. Less than half the cap hit and UFA July 1.

Every year I do this and start with a organizational review. This year it is very easy: we need some of everything! That also makes the draft easy: pick the best available each time, positions be damned!

Much of this years draft is going to be based on where we pick. If the season ended today we are the 7th worst team in the NHL. But that doesn't mean we pick 7th anymore. We could be 1st or 14th. So here are the names I like in the 1st round based on different draft spots:

1st overall: Nolan Patrick. C/RW 6-3/200 RHed shot. Best player in the draft. Should be a very good C or a great RW. He does it all. A clear top 6 F.

2nd through 6th: Tim Liljegren LD 6-1/190 LHed. Swedish Defender plays a well rounded game. His ceiling is a little higher than Kronwall in his prime, plays better D than Kronwall did, should be a 40+ point guy. Should be a very good 2/3 Dman in the NHL

Michael Rasmussen C 6-5/215 LHed. Big fast physical 200ft player that is a great passer and good finisher. The 1 complaint coming into this year was he needed to shoot more. he is doing that with great success. Very good skater for a kid of his size. a clear top 6 F.

Picking 7th through 14th: Cullan Foote RD 6-3/200 Rhed shot. he is a better skater than his father, much better offensively than his dad, has a cannon from the point. he is a very good defender but isn't close to being as nasty as his father was, which is a shame.

Owen Tippett RW 6-2/205 RHed. Kid has blazing speed and maybe the best slap shot and wrist shots in the draft. He has good size as well and isn't afraid to go anywhere on the ice to get the puck. Needs to work on his targeting still-misses too much.

Any of these 5 players will be a good pick for us. There is one difference between the F's and the D's, the F's are all at the point where they can and maybe should be in the NHL next season, but the 2 Dmen need 1-2 years yet to develop. That is the only thing that separates these guys as a group. We took Cholowski a long term D project last year in the first, do we do it again? or is F the way to go? He is running the draft this year is another good question? Does Holland stay?