• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

I would look at Nicolas Hague in that 7-14 range as well. He's a 6'6" Dman who has 28 pts in 32 games in the OHL (3rd of OHL dmen).

He's ranked 7th by future considerations, 10th by ISS hockey, 10th on TSN's november ranking (higher than foote on these 3 lists)

Here's a quote from TSN's october list (was at 10th then as well):

"Runs the power play, has a nasty streak and won the OHL’s academic award last season. Scouts have some concern about his skating while others maintain he’s a bona fide top-10 pick and the skating isn’t an issue at all."

For what it's worth, I've also read Foote had skating issues, but has improved that area.  For Cal they wrote in October list "Cal Foote plays a sound defensive role but can also chip in offensively. He has a bullet from the point, but seems to always default to the pass first. He’s loved by his teammates and has captain material."

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Could you imagine Adam Foote's son being drafted by the Wings?

That would be right up there with Chelios being traded to Detroit.

Then again - the Avs suck - so there's a good chance he could wind up in Denver.

Funny, but I was thinking the other day of Roy as a replacement for Blashill.  

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Supposed to be a weak draft. Should probs trade a few picks for some guys who can help out. 

Figures this would be the year we'd pick to suck.  

A carbon copy of Viktor Hedman or a prospect resembling him in this draft please.

Meaning big, skilled, can skate like a ballet danseuse and gifted offensively. Whoever that means, if your name fits, great.

5 hours ago, Son of a Wing said:

Seems like it's the wrong year to need a defenseman...

Actually it´s wrong year to contend for top OA picks.. Seems like there´s not a single guy ready to go.

As I have mentioned in other threads when I look at our team 5 years down the road I see an organization that needs 3 more top 6 type F's, a true #1 Dman-what team doesn't? And 1 more high end G prospect. That is to just fill up the 23 man roster. To say nothing about prospects in the pipeline. I would love to see us find those players over the next 3 drafts.

Overall this is a draft that lacks truely high end prospects. There isn't a true #1 Dman type in the draft at all and only 3 or 4 potential superstars at the F position.

Hague is over valued atm because there are so few Dmen with 1st round grades. He is an average skater with very little to offer offensively. He is really good at knocking people over however. A classic crease clearing Dman. If he is there after the 20th pick he is a guy I would love to see us move up for. Trade our 2nd, 3rd, and a late round pick to do so.

On to the second round. At some point we need to add another G to the pipeline. This is a very good year and time to do so. All the rankings/mock drafts have multiple G's going between 25 and 45. In other words where we will be picking in the second round. Here are the guys that should go in this area:

Ian Scott 6-3/175. Plays for Prince Albert.

Michael De Pietro 6-1/190, plays for Windsor.

Stuart Skinner 6-4/200, plays for Lethbridge.

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen 6-4/190 from Finland.

Jake Oettinger 6-3/200 plays for the USN-U18 team.

Any of these guys would be a good pickup for us. They all have the en vogue size for NHL G's. If we don't move up, one of them should be the pick. Best value for the pick and is a big need.

I like Hague, but unfortunately i think hes overvalued atm. Average skater with no offensive ability. He sure is good at knocking guys over though. Classic crease clearing Dman. 

In the 2nd round though, we should definately be adding a goalie to the pipeline. There a lots of guys ranked in the 25 to 45 range, aka exactly where we will be picking. This is definately a big need of ours, and unless we move up we should def take a goalie with this pick.

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

It's so hard to predict good defenseman in the drafts. @kliq made a list of all the top defenseman in the league that were drafted in the first round and not many came from there. Look at Shea Weber. 

I cant remember the date I did it, but it was at the time the top 20 D-men in the league based on points.

1/20 drafted in top 5

2/20 drafted between 6-10

3/20 drafted between 11-15

1/20 drafted between 16-30

13/20 drafted out of the first round/not drafted

1) Erik Karlsson -15th overall

2) Brent Burns – 20th overall

3) Kris Letang – 62nd overall

4) John Klingberg – 131st overall

5) Roman Josi – 38th overall

6) P.K. Subban 43rd overall

7) Oliver Ekman-Larsson – 6th overall

8) Mark Giordano – undrafted

9) Tyson Barrie – 64th overall

10) Ryan Suter – 7th overall

11) Shea Weber – 49th overall

12) Drew Doughty 2nd overall

13) Dustin Byfuglien - 245th overall

14) Brent Seabrook – 14th overall

15) Duncan Keith – 54th overall

16) T.J. Brodie – 114th overall

17) Andrei Markov – 162nd overall

18) Keith Yandle – 105th overall

19) Shayne Gostisbehere – 78th overall

20) Kevin Shattenkirk – 14th overall

Edited by kliq

19 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

From the other point of view, how much busts are there in first ten OA picks from last ten years? Two, maybe three? It´s secure and obvious way.

There is no way to guarantee yourself the 1st overall pick, even if you are dead last you may not get it with the new draft rules.

14 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

This is the reason why I considered first 10 picks overall for each draft... 

So you are saying that if you take the top 10 picks overall from the last 10 years, there are only 2 or 3 busts?