• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, kliq said:

13/20 drafted out of the first round/not drafted

..and here´s the point. 13 picks (and you´re considering TOP Ds by points) out of first round. Lot of notable Ds missing

*notable: I´m opening draft records randomly right now on ... 2010.. Faulk, Gudas.. slap in our face.. ok, try another.. 2007..let´s see.. Martinez, Muzzin..another slap, ouch!!! Not going to go deeper, it hurts! (Smith was our 27th OA there, btw). 

Well I can see what we´re not able to do - we´re not able to develop real D from lower positions, sound more like nearly everybody can. Not a good result for our scouting&development, right? So I´d rather do not count with this option. (I believe we´re speaking about Ds with some top 4 potential, right?)

If it´s not clear (and I believe it´s not as usualy) from me: I can´t see the point for discussion here. We´re somehow failing even with top rounders (Smith, Kindl), our way with another guys like XO or Sproul is suspect. .. or shall we expect some magic miracle and expect we´re going to pick some gem in 6th round as we did in year 1349? (.. btw.,  I believe one of our current D prospect will emerge as top 2-3 D for us). 

4 hours ago, Juklitz said:

From the other point of view, how much busts are there in first ten OA picks from last ten years? Two, maybe three? It´s secure and obvious way.

Depends on what you consider a bust..? Peter Mueller (8th) & James Shepherd (9th) were drafted 10 years ago in the top ten and aren't in the league anymore.. their last couple years in the league weren't very good either. 

Zach Hammill (8th) in 2007 and Nikita Filatov (6th) in 2008 were even bigger busts..  

Just a couple examples but I'll agree (as I'm sure anyone would) that it's far less likely to draft a bust in the top ten.. but point is, it's not quite a guarantee that you don't. 

Edited by amato

I was considering just Ds. 

36 minutes ago, amato said:

I was considering just Ds, not forwards (Fs are different story, I do believe the process is different and harder to uncover potential bust due to the role complexities). But I´d agree if somebody count meh Gudbranson in, btw. 

Well, 1st round pick isn´t a guarantee, you remember guys like Kindl.. or.. Smith(are we going to call him a long-term bust or what´s going to happen? I´m not far from that.), aren´t you?

That´s - again - what I´m afraid of, our system isn´t obviously able to develop top D at all nowadays. Or at least I can´t see any evidence of that. Xouly and Sprouly are fine, that´s for sure, but not top (anyway I can see very good way of XO, I just love his play). 

There was other discussion weeks ago somewhere in GDTs with Kliq (I do believe), my idea was to point my finger back to  ~2011 with leaving mr.Lidstrom and Rafa later then. Sad and hard situation for GM staff, but provided us nice window to process clear and swift development/replacement. But... Instead, we´ve been trying hard with Kindl, Quincey (already known as bottom D), put White in, provided BigE with bigC(ontract), .. maybe you can call it as unlucky situation, but it´s said (don´t know how to say that in english words): "Lucky are these who are prepared!". 

I believe we´re in much better situation now, let´s see 2016 draft - 4Ds! I believe(hope/pray for) org completely revisited draft strategy, we must follow Flyers´s path from 2012-2015 (they did Ghost-Morin-Sanheim-Provorov in this order) = profit. 

So my complete idea - be sellers (Tats, Vanek have some value), try to get one more 1st round, hunt for 2xD in first and grab also another one in later rounds. Can´t play high stake game with one card in our hands (Kindl, Smith, BigE...). 

I don´t like Foot. Can´t imagine that name on RW jersey.. :vomited: , but nevermind...

Ah gotcha, defense in the top ten.. I'm sure there are less busts, but there are also less drafted in the top ten. Top defensemen are just harder to predict than top forwards. 

Foote in a wings jersey would be so weird but if he's the best d man available, and there are no "must draft" high end forwards when we pick, we should definitely take him.. we need a top guy too badly. 

I'm all for drafting all D-men within reason really.. If we were to hit a home run on one, even if the rest of the drafted players are busts, it's a pretty successful draft in my book.

24 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

.. maybe you can call it as unlucky situation, but it´s said (don´t know how to say that in english words): "Lucky are these who are prepared!". 

Similarly: "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." 

That's one of my favorite quotes. It was said by the roman philosopher, Seneca.

Something like that quote. Actually, you know how Seneca died? Nero told him to cut his own veins. And he did.

We cut our veins once somewhere around 2012, not a single higher OA D on the drafts there in 12/13/14. This situation was obvious four years ago to happen, even Seneca would slap his face. Once we added Zidlicky, I was sure we´re done, asking myself ´this is the best we can do?´. Ken told we´re not going to suck and tank, while rebuild takes several years to complete. After 5-6 years of rebuilding on a fly we´re ... where? (for curiosity, find yourself GF/GA history graph for Wings..coincidence?). Let me guess.. another 3-5 years from introducing new TOP blueline squad IF AND ONLY couple guys from 16/17 drafts will emerge quickly.

No doubts we need three Ds at least from first 40 overalls whatever it takes. To be prepared. Praying Svech/Smith/Homstrom guys are going to fit top 6.

But really appreciate you guys taking draft 2017 seriously, someone from RW-related press should start this topic as well to see also our opportunities...

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Goaltending is not a need for this team at all right now. I'd concentrate on drafting as many defenseman as we can, and a forward or two if someone we really like drops to us...

They have Mrazek who has been playing like a career #2/boarder line NHLer, Coreau who is likley a career AHLer and... who?  This team is like the Lions a few years ago, they need EVERYTHING.

I know when the Wings are officially eliminated from the playoffs, the morons I know who cheer for the Leafs will try and give me a hard time. I am however looking forward to a few years of high draft picks to rebuild the team.

I know when the Wings are officially eliminated from the playoffs, the morons I know who cheer for the Leafs will try and give me a hard time. I am however looking forward to a few years of high draft picks to rebuild the team.

Tell them to get lost and care what th y wish for. The wings do have Hakan Anderson and if he works his magic with a few elite picks the Wings could be building something to take the league by storm again.

11 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Tell them to get lost and care what th y wish for. The wings do have Hakan Anderson and if he works his magic with a few elite picks the Wings could be building something to take the league by storm again.

Right. I'll just tell them how much success I've seen (2 lifetimes worth, already), and that I can handle a few years of missing the playoffs, so we can reload and go for more Champions. I'll embarrass, and insult them in a subtle way.

33 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

They have Mrazek who has been playing like a career #2/boarder line NHLer, Coreau who is likley a career AHLer and... who?  This team is like the Lions a few years ago, they need EVERYTHING.

I find it f***ing hilarious (insane?) that so many people have already given up on Mrazek... I'd bet a significant amount that Mrazek will be a top 10ish goalie in the league in a few years. People seem to forget that he's still only 24 years old, which is very young for a goaltender. Do we seriously need to draft a goalie to backup our future number one? No. Coreau will likely become a very good backup, maybe even starter at the NHL level. If not, I'm sure one of Paterson, Perry, Van Pottelberghe, Larsson, or any veteran UFA would be more than capable of filling the backup role... We have much bigger needs than between the pipes. We shouldn't have drafted a goaltender last year, and we definitely shouldn't this year...

I find it f***ing hilarious (insane?) that so many people have already given up on Mrazek... I'd bet a significant amount that Mrazek will be a top 10ish goalie in the league in a few years. People seem to forget that he's still only 24 years old, which is very young for a goaltender. Do we seriously need to draft a goalie to backup our future number one? No. Coreau will likely become a very good backup, maybe even starter at the NHL level. If not, I'm sure one of Paterson, Perry, Van Pottelberghe, Larsson, or any veteran UFA would be more than capable of filling the backup role... We have much bigger needs than between the pipes. We shouldn't have drafted a goaltender last year, and we definitely shouldn't this year...

He might get there but right now he's not even close

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

We draft not for today but for down the road. Do a best guess lineup for the 2021/22 season-ie 5 years from now. You will have something like this:

Mantha-Larkin-????

Svechnikov-AA-?????

Abby-Neilsson-Jurco

Lil Bert-Sheahan-Smith

McKee/Glendening/Turgeon/Others in our system.

That creates 2 top 6 openings with our #3 C playing his final year at 37. So we really need to find 3 more high end F's.

Dekeyser-A true #1 Dman

Oullett-Sproul

Cholowski-Marchenko

Saarjivari/Jensen/Others in the system

Need at least 1 more high end Dman

Mrazek/??????

Does Mrazek become a true #1? Who is his backup?

Of course this depends on every last one of these guys making it and none turning into a bust. The chances of that are about 0%. So yes we need to draft players at every position.

5 minutes ago, Richdg said:

We draft not for today but for down the road. Do a best guess lineup for the 2021/22 season-ie 5 years from now. You will have something like this:

Mantha-Larkin-????

Svechnikov-AA-?????

Abby-Neilsson-Jurco

Lil Bert-Sheahan-Smith

McKee/Glendening/Turgeon/Others in our system.

That creates 2 top 6 openings with our #3 C playing his final year at 37. So we really need to find 3 more high end F's.

Dekeyser-A true #1 Dman

Oullett-Sproul

Cholowski-Marchenko

Saarjivari/Jensen/Others in the system

Need at least 1 more high end Dman

Mrazek/??????

Does Mrazek become a true #1? Who is his backup?

Of course this depends on every last one of these guys making it and none turning into a bust. The chances of that are about 0%. So yes we need to draft players at every position.

Wait wait wait... arent you the guy who in another thread said we def need to draft a backup for mraz... then in another thread called coreau a career back up goalie? Or did the infamous swedish mafia force to say these things? Please clarify. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wait wait wait... arent you the guy who in another thread said we def need to draft a backup for mraz... then in another thread called coreau a career back up goalie? Or did the infamous swedish mafia force to say these things? Please clarify. 

Not sure what you are asking? Do I think Coreau is a AHL G at the high end? Yes. Do we need to find a backup for Mrazek? yes. Is it possible we need to find a starting G? Yes. So I am not sure what you are confused about......... It is the holidays so drink up! LOL

5 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Not sure what you are asking? Do I think Coreau is a AHL G at the high end? Yes. Do we need to find a backup for Mrazek? yes. Is it possible we need to find a starting G? Yes. So I am not sure what you are confused about......... It is the holidays so drink up! LOL

Ohhhh now coreau is a high end AHL goalie. How convient for you. Why dont you kindly post that in the thread you suddenly went quiet in where you said he was a backup?

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ohhhh now coreau is a high end AHL goalie. How convient for you. Why dont you kindly post that in the thread you suddenly went quiet in where you said he was a backup?

I believe the quote was "Coreau isn't that good. A career backup at best."

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And Mrazek is the next Hasek right? Thats how the fake narrative goes

Ok you might be getting confused. I am not sold nor am I writing off Mrazek. he is still young enough and has time. What he does and which way he goes is yet to be seen. He has talent. But so do a lot of people. What they do with it is the unknown.

Watching Coreau play tonight shows why I think we need another G. he is not that good. At 25 how much more developing is there?

Now the 3rd round is where there are a ton of Dman that will be available. Most rankings/mock drafts have 15+ dmen going from 50th to 75th. That is a bunch. That is where we will be picking with the pick we got from Tor.

Here are a few of the guys I like:

Scooter Brickley 6-3/190 Rhed, plays for Muskegon, Michigan kid, committed to WMU for college next year.

Jacob Paquette 6-2/200 LHed, plays for Kingston.

Jockton Chainey 6-1/200 LHed p[lays for Halifax.

Luke Martin 6-2/200 RHed, plays for the USN U-18 team, committed to U of M.

Max Gildon 6-3/195 LHed plays for the USN U-17 team

Tommy Miller 6-2/195 RHed, plays for the USN U-18 team, committed to MSU

There are of course others. Point is, lots of good D prospects in this area of the draft. Grab 1 and go.