• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

Central Scoutings rankings just came to me over my phone.  Liljegren is ranked 7th among the Internationals.  Wow that is almost getting to second round material.  Klim Kostin is #1?  Shoot me if we pick him

I am hopeful that a precious one or two of our late round picks in the last years should pan out. Names like Zetterberg and Datsyuk were picked very late. We need that great scouting back. We need an edge. On top of early drafting of course.

Isn't this the year we get a 3rd round pick for Mike Babcock by the way?

1 hour ago, Jacksoni said:

Isn't this the year we get a 3rd round pick for Mike Babcock by the way?

Yes it is, but we also traded away our own 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy last year. We do have an extra 6th from Florida in the Kindl trade though...

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes it is, but we also traded away our own 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy last year. We do have an extra 6th from Florida in the Kindl trade though...

Right, forgot about Sadowy, thanks.

Well a 6th is better than nothing regarding Kindl. At the very least it increases our odds finding a golden needle in the haystack.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Funny thing is,  Holland opted to keep the Toronto 3rd and traded ours thinking the Toronto one would be higher...now sjc has a potential late 2nd rounder for all intents and purposes. Oops, that's our genius gm.

Why didnt you inform us at the time the leafs pick would be lower??

I had resigned myself to the fact we sucked and were about to get a high pick.  I was looking forward to it.  After these last three wins over some excellent teams I cant believe how much better my mood has been.  I'm  cheering for the wins and we will pick wherever.  This draft seems to be all over the board and even the first three picks seem to have question marks.  Maybe Nico seems a little more stable than Nolan or Timothy.  Wherever we end up I think we could get a good one like Foote, Hague, or Rasmussen.  Go Wings

1 minute ago, HoweFan said:

I had resigned myself to the fact we sucked and were about to get a high pick.  I was looking forward to it.  After these last three wins over some excellent teams I cant believe how much better my mood has been.  I'm  cheering for the wins and we will pick wherever.  This draft seems to be all over the board and even the first three picks seem to have question marks.  Maybe Nico seems a little more stable than Nolan or Timothy.  Wherever we end up I think we could get a good one like Foote, Hague, or Rasmussen.  Go Wings

I've made this point several times this season. Scouts have said this one of the weakest drafts in a while. There's no reason to bury ourselves and destroy our teams confidence to get a top 5 pick that looks more like a top 20 pick in most years.

McKenzie's mid-season draft ranking came out today. Based on organizational need and where I think we'll end up drafting, I'd like to see us land one of Vilardi or Tippett. Not much available in defenseman in the first round after Liljegren (I'm not even that high on him), so I'd have my sights on one those two, and go hard after defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (as well as late 1st if Holland is able to pull off a trade at the deadline)...

As of today, we are sitting in the 3rd draft slot (yes - what a beautiful sight), yet only 4-6 points back of a playoff position. Still, given the number of teams ahead of us, there is no realistic path to extending our playoff streak so hopefully Kenny can shift his focus on acquiring draft picks.

For all of you fans that think with your heart and not your head, please understand why having our name on a few more ping-pong balls this June is more important than getting a couple more wins next week, extending the streak in April or playing meaningful games the balance of the season.

If we can lock into that 11.5% chance to draft Nolan Patrick - sign me up! Even if we can crack the top 2 and draft Hischier - I'd be thrilled to roster Patrick/Hischier - Larkin - Athanasiou down the middle the next decade... This "re-build" wont take very long.

If you get the first pick in the right year the rebuild can be almost immediate.  That is unlike most other sports.  The Oilers and Leafs were nothing until they finally got their men that changed things around.  I don't think this year is one of those years and we likely wont pick first anyways.  Hopefully we can pick up a couple of pieces to the puzzle.  The top two seem set with Patrick and Hischier.  For me the next group has Vilardi, Rasmussen, and Tippett.  Unless Hakan can sell me on Liljegren, he falls to the next group with Mittelstadt, Necas, and Petterson.  After that it will be the defensemen dominating with Foote, Hague, Makar, Valimaki, and Heskainen in no particular order.  We have a good shot at picking anyone other than the top two.

On January 31, 2017 at 3:26 PM, krsmith17 said:

McKenzie's mid-season draft ranking came out today. Based on organizational need and where I think we'll end up drafting, I'd like to see us land one of Vilardi or Tippett. Not much available in defenseman in the first round after Liljegren (I'm not even that high on him), so I'd have my sights on one those two, and go hard after defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (as well as late 1st if Holland is able to pull off a trade at the deadline)...

I saw the show and not sold on liljegren as well , not many guys I liked either ... Much rather have hischier than patrick, something about him I like

also a finnish dMan i like , can't remember his name (saw it online) 

Definetly a weak year 

32 minutes ago, kliq said:

If this is a weak year like most are saying, maybe we should consider trading the pick. I am not a believer if drafting someone top 5, just for the sake of being able to say you drafted someone top 5.

If we can trade the pick for a potential 1A d-man, I am all for it.

A low top 5 pick this year will look like a low top 10 pick most years. A low top 10 pick will like a low top 20 most years. If a team is willing to give something good for it Im down

42 minutes ago, kliq said:

If this is a weak year like most are saying, maybe we should consider trading the pick. I am not a believer if drafting someone top 5, just for the sake of being able to say you drafted someone top 5.

If we can trade the pick for a potential 1A d-man, I am all for it.

I agree. If there's any way we can land a Hamilton, Trouba, Faulk using our first and maybe a young defenseman, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't see Holland making (or even inquiring) such a trade...

On 1/31/2017 at 9:26 PM, krsmith17 said:

Link? Tippett has caught my eye.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:01 PM, krsmith17 said:

I agree. If there's any way we can land a Hamilton, Trouba, Faulk using our first and maybe a young defenseman, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't see Holland making (or even inquiring) such a trade...

Hmmmmmm, all this sounds mighty familiar...

Not that he's worth it, but I honestly see Holland giving up his 1st in the top 5 for Fowler. I want Fowler here, but it should cost less, but I am just going by Holland's history. 1st for Quincey.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If Holland trades a top 5 pick, it needs to be for someone better than Fowler in my opinion. I'd consider it, but there would have to be more involved for me to pull the trigger...

Fowler is very overrated IMO. Many Ducksbros ive heard from think so. Bet someone will overpay though. RH puckmovers are valuable.