• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Yes. But if they finish 3rd last, the lowest they can pick is 6th. 

7th would be the lowest case scenario (although picking that low finishing third from last would be very unlikely), because vegas can pick no later than 6th.

2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Barring an unlikely run of winning hockey it appears we will be picking in the top 5. I would be happy with any of Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Tippett, or Mittelstadt. All are no more than a year away from the NHL. With the exception of Mittelstadt the rest may be able to step right in and contribute. 

Hopefully (unlikely) Vanek can bring us a late first round pick, and we can acquire Foote/Hague later in the first. Unfortunately our scouting department is subpar with identifying defenseman. If put in this position Holland would probably reach for the next Cholowoski type. Who by the way is not having a good freshman year in college.

17 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Barring an unlikely run of winning hockey it appears we will be picking in the top 5. I would be happy with any of Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Tippett, or Mittelstadt. All are no more than a year away from the NHL. With the exception of Mittelstadt the rest may be able to step right in and contribute. 

Hopefully (unlikely) Vanek can bring us a late first round pick, and we can acquire Foote/Hague later in the first. Unfortunately our scouting department is subpar with identifying defenseman. If put in this position Holland would probably reach for the next Cholowoski type. Who by the way is not having a good freshman year in college.

St. Cloud is having a bad year in general

23 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Patrick/Foote in this draft would be incredible.. and at this point, sadly, feels more likely than making the playoffs. 

RE bolded: Cholowski still has 11 points in 30 games... not too bad for a freshman on a team that's having a down year.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it was said when he drafted that he wanted to play all four years of college, get his degree, etc.... if he's struggling two seasons from now, then we should start to worry. D-men can take a while to develop. 

I'm really excited for this years draft. Even tho it's weaker than most I feel like there are a lot of potential outcomes. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.  Plus there are 2 kids from my hometown in the draft. Probably later round picks but it'll be cool to see where they go.

I'm going to stick to my plan, with a small revision. If the draft were today, the latest odds in the lottery has Winnipeg drafting 4th and us 6th. Which pretty much wipes out my original plan for Trouba,  BUT, do you think this would work:

to WPG: 1st round pick (6 overall)

to DET: Jacob Trouba, 2nd round pick(37 overall)

This gives WPG the #4 & #6 picks and us #37 & #39, plus Trouba. If we had to add a player to our 1st, so be it.

So in that scenario, I'm going to go with the idea that both Foote and Hague will be gone at 37, I'm am eyeing two other kids though, both right handed centers:

Kailer Yamamoto (WHL)

Nick Suzuki (OHL)

Both are great scorers in their respective leagues and are predicted to go late 1st, early 2nd. We could get a couple of nice pickups with those 2 high 2nd rounders.

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm going to stick to my plan, with a small revision. If the draft were today, the latest odds in the lottery has Winnipeg drafting 4th and us 6th. Which pretty much wipes out my original plan for Trouba,  BUT, do you think this would work:

to WPG: 1st round pick (6 overall)

to DET: Jacob Trouba, 2nd round pick(37 overall)

This gives WPG the #4 & #6 picks and us #37 & #39, plus Trouba. If we had to add a player to our 1st, so be it.

So in that scenario, I'm going to go with the idea that both Foote and Hague will be gone at 37, I'm am eyeing two other kids though, both right handed centers:

Kailer Yamamoto (WHL)

Nick Suzuki (OHL)

Both are great scorers in their respective leagues and are predicted to go late 1st, early 2nd. We could get a couple of nice pickups with those 2 high 2nd rounders.

Jets are going to give up Trouba to move up 31 spots?

I can't say what they'll do for sure, but it is a trade that's not out of the realm of making sense. Maybe, since they'd have such a high pick, it would be a 3rd round pick. But again, WPG is in that expansion draft situation with having to expose a defenseman that would certainly get drafted. IMO this trade works out for both teams, and Trouba, who we all know isn't the happiest in WPG. If we have to add a player so what. If we're giving up a #6 overall, that player won't be AA, Mantha or Larkin. Any other player would be fine. So how about this:

Detroit sends 1st rounder, Tomas Tatar to WPG for Trouba and 3rd rounder. Having 2 picks in the top 6, possibly top 5, he'll what if it worked out to be #1 & #2? That's huge to most teams, especially if they're trying to get some value for someone they may lose to Vegas. Plus the kid has been disgruntled to boot. 

Of course, Holland...so ya.

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I can't say what they'll do for sure, but it is a trade that's not out of the realm of making sense. Maybe, since they'd have such a high pick, it would be a 3rd round pick. But again, WPG is in that expansion draft situation with having to expose a defenseman that would certainly get drafted. IMO this trade works out for both teams, and Trouba, who we all know isn't the happiest in WPG. If we have to add a player so what. If we're giving up a #6 overall, that player won't be AA, Mantha or Larkin. Any other player would be fine. So how about this:

Detroit sends 1st rounder, Tomas Tatar to WPG for Trouba and 3rd rounder. Having 2 picks in the top 6, possibly top 5, he'll what if it worked out to be #1 & #2? That's huge to most teams, especially if they're trying to get some value for someone they may lose to Vegas. Plus the kid has been disgruntled to boot. 

Of course, Holland...so ya.

I'd be very upset we traded it then. The top 2 are very good center prospects.. on top of a couple top d men, we're in need of a top center. 

I agree, but what do we need more? 

I think we start with an established top D. He'd easily come in and be #1 here. Neither us nor WPG are going anywhere this season. It just depends on who gets the higher top 6 pick. Make this deal at the deadline. It isnt going to change the outcome if either team this season. Theoretically I guess one of us could go on a run, but it'd be a monumental task. Both teams need a change, I think the potential of 2 1st round picks plus an nhl player would be a huge enticement. WPG can draft 2 young players that will be on the team next season,  Detroit would have their #1 defenseman,  plus a high third (I still think we could get their 2nd.)

Plus, it's not like we're going to be automatic Cup winners next season, we may even miss the playoffs again, so we'd still have a great 1st rounder in a better draft class..PLUS Trouba signed long term. 

Armchair gm is easy, but if I were Kenny, I'd be on one phone at the deadline and that's to WPG.

"Listen, Trouba isn't happy, we want him, we'll give you our 1st round( top 6 pick) and a player." 

I'm telling you, a top 6 and Nyquist or Tatar or Helm would get us Trouba and their 3rd, more than likely their 2nd. We wouldn't have to even speak of AA, Mantha or Larkin. Especially if it were a 3rd. 

What if I'm trading Vanek to Chicago or Pittsburgh or Montreal for a 1st? We'd have that or I'd offer both 1sts for Trouba and the 2nd. 

@LeftWinger I'm not doubting we could get trouba using our 1st but I would just rather get a top center than a top D-man right now. We need both, no doubt. Defense in front of our net and scoring are two big problems we have.. a top center will help with both. So will a D-man though.. I don't know, I guess it's just two different approaches. 

If we draft in the top 6 and pick one then use most of the rest, if not all, of our picks on defense it'll be a good draft in my book. 

Nolan Patrick, Hischier, and Vilardi are all future top 6 centers which we need. Mittelstadt may have the highest potential of the top 7 picks, but is a winger. 

That being said if Trouba is available for Tatar + 1st round pick I don't care about getting another pick from Winnipeg, just make the trade. I just don't think it will be that cheap. 

I agree with both of you. We have so many needs. My only concern is, lets say we keep a top 6 pick, draft a center at that spot, do you think he will see 2017-18 NHL action? This is Holland...there has to be a spot for him in order to make the team. Even when Larkin made it, it was only because Datsyuk was hurt. He played well enough to stay, but if Pav were healthy, Larkin would've started in GR and would be seeing spotty time in the NHL... Trouba would be in the NHL from day one.

I'm going to copy and paste this response over to the deadline thread, so we don't derail this Draft thread.