• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

I'd trade our first round pick for a top pair defenseman in a heartbeat. This is a weak draft class, and there aren't really any can't miss guys. Sure, we need an elite center, but I still think an elite defenseman is a bigger priority for us right now. As good as Patrick is projected to be (I don't think we'll get the number one pick), I'd still take the sure(er) thing in Trouba, who fills a bigger hole for us right now...

I just think it's going to cost us more than just our first round pick, and forget about getting any picks back in return. Would anyone here trade Mantha and a 2nd round pick for a chance at a top 6 pick? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't even consider Mantha to be at the level of Trouba (yet). We know what we have in Mantha, just like Winnipeg knows what they have in Trouba, and every GM will take the known player over the crap shoot every time...

On 2/13/2017 at 0:29 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Would be pretty ridiculous if we won the lottery, 29 teams would be pissed.

AA - Larkin - Mantha
?? - Patrick - ??

That would be a nice little young nucleus to build around. Gosh darn we need Dmen though.

Looking at this and realizing we don't have any real promising centers in the minors puts center as the top necessity. Z only has a year or two left, Nielsen is not a #1, and most importantly is Larkin even going to develop as a center? This could be a long rebuild. The only position of strength in the whole organization is wingers. 

14 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Looking at this and realizing we don't have any real promising centers in the minors puts center as the top necessity. Z only has a year or two left, Nielsen is not a #1, and most importantly is Larkin even going to develop as a center? This could be a long rebuild. The only position of strength in the whole organization is wingers. 

Well AA and Larkin are both originally centers, and a lot of other players can play C. Nielsen, Ott, Helm, Zberg, Sheahan, Glendening. Holmstrom is also a promising center prospect.

The priority for me is D-men. The only top 4 Dmen on this team right now are DK and Green.

so say we can't trade for trouba at all and end up keeping our first, we get 5th overall, and centers are taken 1-4.... do you draft Liljegren at 5? He seems like he comes with some risk but the more I read about him, the more I like him. 

7 minutes ago, amato said:

so say we can't trade for trouba at all and end up keeping our first, we get 5th overall, and centers are taken 1-4.... do you draft Liljegren at 5? He seems like he comes with some risk but the more I read about him, the more I like him. 

I know this wouldn't be a popular decision, but I'd consider trading the pick, either for an immediate upgrade to the roster, or trade back for another pick. I'm just still not really sold on Liljegren... Trade back a few spots and take Tippett, while adding another 2nd rounder, or trade back 10-15 spots and take Foote, while adding another late first...

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Right now we're sitting 3rd, can't fall lower than 6. Top 6 latest rankings are Patrick, Hischier, Vivaldi, Rasmussen, Nicas and Liljegren.  All centers except Liljegren. Even at #3, I can assume who Holland would take...he loves his Swedish Defense.

Vegas gets the same odds as 3rd from last and is guaranteed no lower than 6th so we can fall to 7th.. but that would be very unlikely. 

I think I like Liljegren at 4th after the first 3 you named. Although I haven't done a ton of studying past reading summaries and watching highlights of the guys you've listed plus a few others. 

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I know this wouldn't be a popular decision, but I'd consider trading the pick, either for an immediate upgrade to the roster, or trade back for another pick. I'm just still not really sold on Liljegren... Trade back a few spots and take Tippett, while adding another 2nd rounder, or trade back 10-15 spots and take Foote, while adding another late first...

IF Trouba is out of the question, I am absolutely in for something like this. Liljegren has been somewhat underwhelming this season, according to reports, and was demoted to the second level league in Sweden.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I am a fan of offensive defensemen, so I think that's why I like Liljegren. I do like the idea of trading back and adding a second though.. how do you feel about Hague? Him or Foote would be the target if we traded back a bit, I'd think. I'd like either of them.. and the idea of a Foote on the wings would be funny :P I'm for it. 

32 minutes ago, amato said:

No, I would take Middlestadt at that point. He has more than a little Patty Kane in his game. 

I'd rather have a chance at landing Nolan Patrick than getting Trouba via a trade.

I want both, after next year Trouba will be an UFA so he can choose his destination. I'm sure getting Patrick would make the wings a more favorable target for him.

I would try to get Liljegren or Foote (if he is willing to report) at 5

If it was possible, I would much rather trade for Trouba a kid who is going to be a stud in this league then draft a guy who COULD be a good player. Unless there is a can't miss prospect available, I say trade the pick to Winnipeg for Trouba prior to the expansion draft.

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

If it was possible, I would much rather trade for Trouba a kid who is going to be a stud in this league then draft a guy who COULD be a good player. Unless there is a can't miss prospect available, I say trade the pick to Winnipeg for Trouba prior to the expansion draft.

I don't care to protect either of Ericsson or Kronwall anyway

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd hate to leave any of the three D kids exposed, but I think you guys are right because odds are vegas would select Nyquist or Tatar or Helm before they take XO, Sproul or Jensen.

The thing for me, is next year at the deadline I could see Green getting us a first round pick, and at this point as much as I like XO and Sproul, I think a 1st rounder > XO or Sproul.

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd hate to leave any of the three D kids exposed, but I think you guys are right because odds are vegas would select Nyquist or Tatar or Helm before they take XO, Sproul or Jensen.

We overvalue the kids because of their age. Add 5 years to any of their ages with these stats, and no one would care. It's cool theyre getting playing time, and I hope at least one develops into something more, but none have shown theyre going to be top 4 Dmen yet. Should be safe from vegas.

For arguments sake I'm going to say we pick in the 4-7 range this year.  I have a suspicion we will take Elias Petterson.  While he's not my choice I guess I wouldn't throw a fit if we did.  He's having too good a year, and Hakan's influence will swing it.  Personally I seem to be wavering every week as to who my choice is.  The ones I really hope we don't take with our first pick are Tolvanen, Kostin, and maybe Necas. 

8 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

For arguments sake I'm going to say we pick in the 4-7 range this year.  I have a suspicion we will take Elias Petterson.  While he's not my choice I guess I wouldn't throw a fit if we did.  He's having too good a year, and Hakan's influence will swing it.  Personally I seem to be wavering every week as to who my choice is.  The ones I really hope we don't take with our first pick are Tolvanen, Kostin, and maybe Necas. 

As long as we don't grab another 5'10" 175 lbs forward. Tired of our "goal scorers" being small and easily thrown around.