• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

As long as we don't grab another 5'10" 175 lbs forward. Tired of our "goal scorers" being small and easily thrown around.

This. Exactly why I'd prefer one of Patrick, Vilardi or Tippet over Hischier, Necas or Pettersson...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

This. Exactly why I'd prefer one of Patrick, Vilardi or Tippet over Hischier, Necas or Pettersson...

I wouldn't group Hischier into the play small Nyquist type. He uses his body and stick like Z. I actually think that is a very good comparison as far as game/potential go.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, BadgerBob said:

As long as we don't grab another 5'10" 175 lbs forward. Tired of our "goal scorers" being small and easily thrown around.

I'd like to see our forward group get bigger overall, but our fundamental problem is more a talent problem than it is a size problem. I mean, sure, if we're trying to choose between two kids who are equally talented and equally good skaters but one is 5'10 and one is 6'3, maybe you go with the bigger one. (Maybe.) But, bottom line: we simply need more high-end talent. We're in the hole that we're in because we lack gamebreaking talent. Size -- for forwards, at least -- should be a secondary or tertiary concern. And even if size is a primary concern, it's not like Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, Svechnikov are "small and easily thrown around."

5 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

19 games left and we are 3rd from last (although we have some games in hand on some teams). Sadly I hope we tank and get either Patrick, Vilardi, Hirschier, or Liljegren. 

Add Mittelstadt to that list. I think he could end up being one of the steals of the draft around the 5th pick. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300831

5 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

19 games left and we are 3rd from last (although we have some games in hand on some teams). Sadly I hope we tank and get either Patrick, Vilardi, Hirschier, or Liljegren. 

i think the team is to proud to tank plus i dont think with the lottery draw plus col tanking we would get 1st overall

I bet we get #4. They'll give Vegas #3, since they have the same odds as us right now, but anyhow, at #4, these are my picks:

If we're going D, I am taking Nic Hague. Every rankings I look at Liljigren moves back a bit, then moves up, then back. I've seen Hague do nothing but go up, he is currently ranked the #2 N/A Defenseman in the draft. I've heard a bit about Cale Maker, but I'm looking for a great two-way Defender.

If we're going O, then I am taking Tippet.  Say what you guys will about a center, but we do have Larkin and AA who are going to be dynamite centers after Z and Nielsen are either gone or moved down the depth chart. AA and Larkin are going to be (hopefully) around a long, long time to be the #1 and #2 centers here.  Plus we don't have many good RW prospects, our best are Frk and Nastasiuk.  Tippet on the right hand side of either of those two should make them even better. Plus, he could possibly step right in next season, all depending on who we lose to Vegas in expansion.  If we drafted a center, there would be nowhere to play him next season.

Now, unless we lose Helm, Sheahan or Glendening in expansion, the centers have nowhere to move down to. Plus if we did lose Helm, lets say, maybe Larkin fills that or it goes back the Sheahan.

This all depends on the expansion and if Holland moves anyone before then or before the Amateur Draft. But I am hoping (at #4) for either Tippet of Hague.

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree that we will likely draft around the #4 spot, and if that's the case, I want Vilardi (he may be gone by then though) or Tippett. Larkin may become that number one C, but he may max out as a really good number two. Vilardi will likely develop into that number one C if Larkin doesn't get there. We have a top line LW in Mantha, but we desperately need that top line RW. Tippett could be that guy. As I've said several time in other threads, our number one priority is defense, but there aren't many high end defensemen in the top of this draft, so we should draft a bunch in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But I also think the best bet for us to land that future number one should come via trade...

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I heard that Nolan Patrick is no longer predicted to be the #1 pick. Can anyone fact check me on this? I'm at Benihana lol. 

Patrick was still at the top of central scouting' midterm rankings and I think just about every other list, if not all of them.. he was injured for a while (had sports hernia sugary last playoffs, played six game to start this year, then was out 35) so there were questions there I think but he came back and has dominated. 18 goals/42 total points in 28 WHL games this year. 

4 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

If we pick 4th I would take Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippett in that order. I think Tippett being so one dimensional may hurt his stock, and project him as more of a 2nd-3rd line RW

I don't see this at all. He may be one dimensional, but I think he will definitely be a top line right winger. I've heard a lot of comparisons to Kessel, and I'd take a prime Kessel any day. Besides, this team needs more offense first guys. He has an elite level shot and elite level skating, loves to shoot the puck, right handed, 6'2", 205lbs. Sign me up.

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that we will likely draft around the #4 spot, and if that's the case, I want Vilardi (he may be gone by then though) or Tippett. Larkin may become that number one C, but he may max out as a really good number two. Vilardi will likely develop into that number one C if Larkin doesn't get there. We have a top line LW in Mantha, but we desperately need that top line RW. Tippett could be that guy. As I've said several time in other threads, our number one priority is defense, but there aren't many high end defensemen in the top of this draft, so we should draft a bunch in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But I also think the best bet for us to land that future number one should come via trade...

Mantha shoots left, but he plays RW.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

9 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Mantha shoots left, but he plays RW.

Mantha has played right wing in the past but he mostly plays on the left side, as he should. I'm more so speaking of the need for a right shooting top line winger anyway. It's been way too long since we've had one...

EDIT: My bad PVD, he does play mostly on the right side. For some reason I was thinking he switched to the left side with Tatar on the right. Regardless, I still think we need that top line right shooting sniper. We have way too many left shooting guys, which prevents us from setting up shooting options on the left side of the ice, in particular on the power-play...

Edited by krsmith17

33 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

While I don't mean to compare the 2 draft classes - what concerns me is where we pick (top 5), and the eventual outcome of these young men...The draft years are 2017, and 1983...We got Stevie Y 4th overall, but the top 2 picks from 1983 were busts (Lawton much more so than Turgeon).

I'm hoping we don't get a bust...

So what you're saying is...

Brian Lawton = Nolan Patrick

Sylvain Turgeon = Nico Hischier

Pat LaFontaine = Martin Necas

Steve Yzerman = Gabriel Vilardi

Well Vilardi is the obvious choice isn't it?... ;)

26 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

More food for thought...

What if Holland, and scouts aren't convinced that any of the top 5 will be 'exceptional', and Detroit trades it's 1st round for current roster players, and/or draft picks from this years draft, or 2018 draft?

EDIT - I'm thinking back to the 1993 draft where both the Habs, and Nordiques were offering up massive talent for the 1st overall pick which was Alex Daigle...Again - not trying to compare different draft classes - just some interesting tidbits from years past.

Holland wold probably pick up a couple guys pushing 30, you know, because you have to start a new streak ASAP and they're ONLY 10 points out of the playoffs.

If he did move the #4 pick for a first in next year's draft it's a big risk.  Say you trade with Colorado, and they go from worst by far to getting the 10th overall instead next year.  You've dropped back 6 picks.  Any players they get better be high end young guys.  They don't need any secondary players, they need an Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan type.

Edited by DickieDunn

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Mantha has played right wing in the past but he mostly plays on the left side, as he should. I'm more so speaking of the need for a right shooting top line winger anyway. It's been way too long since we've had one...

EDIT: My bad PVD, he does play mostly on the right side. For some reason I was thinking he switched to the left side with Tatar on the right. Regardless, I still think we need that top line right shooting sniper. We have way too many left shooting guys, which prevents us from setting up shooting options on the left side of the ice, in particular on the power-play...

We could just put Tippett with Nielsen and Larkin. 

AA-Z-Mantha

Larkin-Nielsen-Tippett

Nyquist-Helm-Tatar 

Sheahan-Glendening-Abby

Of course were losing someone, so who knows how it'll round out.

Trading the pick goes back to our ideas before the deadline. Our 1st plus a player to WPG for Trouba and a 2nd. We could throw in one of our many 3rds as well. But now we don't have the high powered guy in the top 5. It's a tough road having a lottery pick.

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Trading the pick goes back to our ideas before the deadline. Our 1st plus a player to WPG for Trouba and a 2nd. We could throw in one of our many 3rds as well. But now we don't have the high powered guy in the top 5. It's a tough road having a lottery pick.

This likely only works if the player going to Winnipeg is Larkin, AA, or Mantha. I can't see them giving up Trouba to move up 4 or 5 spots in a weak draft.

4 hours ago, amato said:

Even if I weren't a big fan of this team, I just really want to see the rest of the hockey world react to the wings missing the playoffs once and winning the draft lotto :P 

Some people just want to see the Hockey World burn. In this case me too btw. :P

1 hour ago, kliq said:

This likely only works if the player going to Winnipeg is Larkin, AA, or Mantha. I can't see them giving up Trouba to move up 4 or 5 spots in a weak draft.

Ya, and if that's the case, I'd rather keep the pick and draft one of the guys I mentioned.

But they wouldn't be moving up, they'd have our pick and theirs. So they have 2 in the top 10, including 1 in the top 5. But they'd still probably want one of those players in return.