• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, amato said:

I haven't watched a full game of his or anything but from what I've read/highlights, that's disappointing.. maybe it's too easy for him? Or is that just the style of play in MN high school hockey? Either way, hope he picks it up the rest of the tourney. Updates would be appreciated :) 

Well Eden Prairie lost tonight so they'll be playing the 3rd place game which won't be on tv tomorrow. One thing about Middlestadt tonight was he won just about every faceoff he took. He looked faster tonight but was easily knocked off the puck. Grand Rapids did a good job of making him disappear, and when the puck was in his own zone he was often the last player to appear in the picture. He had a few really good passes, but on the PK also tipped a cross ice pass through the low slot right into his own net. He looks like an player but I donno about a top 10 pick. He doesn't dominate his competition like I'd expect from someone who was asked to skip their senior year to play D1 or anything like that. But that's from my small sample size.

For what it's worth Grand Rapids is also a pretty awesome team, and each forward on their top line has around 55 points, one of them over 60 and their 6'4" goalie was phenomenal all night. 

7 hours ago, BadgerBob said:

Well Eden Prairie lost tonight so they'll be playing the 3rd place game which won't be on tv tomorrow. One thing about Middlestadt tonight was he won just about every faceoff he took. He looked faster tonight but was easily knocked off the puck. Grand Rapids did a good job of making him disappear, and when the puck was in his own zone he was often the last player to appear in the picture. He had a few really good passes, but on the PK also tipped a cross ice pass through the low slot right into his own net. He looks like an player but I donno about a top 10 pick. He doesn't dominate his competition like I'd expect from someone who was asked to skip their senior year to play D1 or anything like that. But that's from my small sample size.

For what it's worth Grand Rapids is also a pretty awesome team, and each forward on their top line has around 55 points, one of them over 60 and their 6'4" goalie was phenomenal all night. 

Thanks for the scouting report. He sounds like he may take a couple years playing D1 to really round out a couple areas of his game but still sounds like a promising prospect. Sad he doesn't get a shot at the title when that's mainly why he went back to Eden Prairie.. maybe I'd move him out of the top five but I don't know about out of the top ten when the first round of this draft seems like a lot more of a gamble than usual. 

Hows the rest of his team? I'd think he'll benefit from playing with what I assume will be more skilled players when he gets to college but he also seems like the kind of player that would make everyone around him better.. especially if he rarely loses faceoffs. 

3 hours ago, amato said:

Thanks for the scouting report. He sounds like he may take a couple years playing D1 to really round out a couple areas of his game but still sounds like a promising prospect. Sad he doesn't get a shot at the title when that's mainly why he went back to Eden Prairie.. maybe I'd move him out of the top five but I don't know about out of the top ten when the first round of this draft seems like a lot more of a gamble than usual. 

Hows the rest of his team? I'd think he'll benefit from playing with what I assume will be more skilled players when he gets to college but he also seems like the kind of player that would make everyone around him better.. especially if he rarely loses faceoffs. 

Yea this is my biggest knock on Middlestadt. Out of all the forwards projected in the top 7, he is the least NHL ready. I'd rather have a guy that is closer to helping us in the near future instead of another huge project. 

If we don't get the #1 pick, my best scenario is draft Tippet and then trade up to draft Hague. We could easily get Tippet, but we'd have to trade an asset in order to get Hague, he currently falls in around #19 from the rankings I've been seeing. Maybe a NHL player and one of our many 3rds. Heck, if would be awesome if he fell to us in the 2nd. I doubt it, but its not entirely out of the question.

7031.jpg
Owen Tippett
RW
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Birthdate:
1999-02-16
Hometown:
Peterborough, ON
Bio:

Draft:
OHL - MISS (2015) Round: 1 (#4)
GP G A PTS +/-   PIM  PPG   SHG   SOG  FOW
56 43  30  73 24    34 10   0 269

7149.jpg
Nicolas Hague
D
Shoots:
L
Height:
Weight:
Birthdate:
1998-12-05
Hometown:
Kitchener, ON
Bio:

Draft:
OHL - MISS (2014) Round: 2 (#29)
GP G A PTS +/-  PIM  PPG   SHG   SOG  FOW
61 18  27  45 16    94 6 1 186 1

PLUS you just may recognize their teammate!

7010.jpg
Vili Saarijarvi
D
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Birthdate:
1997-05-15
Hometown:
Rovaniemi, Finland
Bio:

Draft:
NHL - DET (2015) Round: 3 (#73)
Import - FLNT (2015) Round: 1 (#9)
GP G A PTS  +/-  PIM  PPG  SHG  SOG  FOW
32 11  20  31     22  14 2 0 140 1

I could really go for drafting those two and having three junior teammates together on our team as well!

Edited by LeftWinger

8 hours ago, amato said:

There's a couple good kids on his team but yeah it just seemed Eden Prairie didn't play very well as a team, just a group of talented individuals. However, I've been following Hermantown closely and they just won the class A championship going into OT twice and 2OT for the championship and they have a 6'3" defenseman named Dylan Samberg playing at UM-Duluth next year and wow is he impressive. Logged a ton of minutes, physical, smooth skater, plays the puck really well, and scored their game winning goal. He'd be a good player I hope the Wings would at least keep their eye on. I believe he had 12 shots in the championship game.

Edited by BadgerBob
Adding a name.

2 hours ago, BadgerBob said:

There's a couple good kids on his team but yeah it just seemed Eden Prairie didn't play very well as a team, just a group of talented individuals. However, I've been following Hermantown closely and they just won the class A championship going into OT twice and 2OT for the championship and they have a 6'3" defenseman named Dylan Samberg playing at UM-Duluth next year and wow is he impressive. Logged a ton of minutes, physical, smooth skater, plays the puck really well, and scored their game winning goal. He'd be a good player I hope the Wings would at least keep their eye on. I believe he had 12 shots in the championship game.

Good info. Samberg is also ranked 89 by future considerations and I'm sure, assuming they use them, the wings will target defenseman with the three third round picks.. hoping one pans out long term.

By what you're saying about Samberg, it seems like a decent chance we target him with one of our third round picks.

I'd be for it. 

7 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Daeeemn now that's one ginger dude right there. Stats look good. As long as he doesn't cut his hair down I say draft him.

We could call him...Ginger Ale. Every time he scores a goal, Mickey takes a sip of "ginger ale."

Like I've said, I'd be thrilled to have Tippett in our system. I guess it's possible the organization has soured on one-dimensional right-shot snipers, given the fact that neither Frk nor Pulkkinen panned out. But I think Tippett, with his size and speed (excellent skater) and physicality, has a higher ceiling than Frk and Pulkkinen ever had and has all the tools needed to become a top-line winger in the NHL, even if he is one-dimensional. Patrick and Hischier are the class of this year's, um, class. But Tippett is arguably the most exciting, tantalizing player available.

I concur!

Until Holland let's me down (he didn't with Mantha or Larkin) I'm welcoming Tippett to the Red Wings. If he grew a mullet, he could really have Red Wings!

Also I'm welcoming Hague here as well! While I'm saying what Holland will do, he's trading a nhl player and a pick up for Hague. Until none of it happens, that's what's gonna happen...rebuild jump started! 

18 hours ago, marcaractac said:

When has that ever been a problem this season?

When we beat Chicago on Saturday and moved up past New Jersey.  Now, we sit at pick 5.  Unless we get really lucky in the lotto, we are looking at drafting someone who wont be in Detroit for 2 seasons at the earliest.  Every win from here on out is bad for detroit.

1 hour ago, BBD10 said:

When we beat Chicago on Saturday and moved up past New Jersey.  Now, we sit at pick 5.  Unless we get really lucky in the lotto, we are looking at drafting someone who wont be in Detroit for 2 seasons at the earliest.  Every win from here on out is bad for detroit.

After 1st place, the odds are pretty tight.

Chances of 1st overall pick is:

Worst Team - 17.9%

2nd Worst - 12.1%

Las Vegas - 10.3%

3rd Worst - 10.3%

4th Worst - 8.5% (where we sit)

5th Worst - 7.6%

Source - http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Edited by kliq

So, What If We Get #4 And Holland pulls one of his "experiment" picks in hopes he becomes  a diamond? Drafts a kid not even touted in the top 10? Would you still support Holland? I think if he drafts anyone that's not being discussed in the top 5 around the league that he should be fired and burned at the stake. I'm also going to be very angry if one of the top 3 centers or tippet is sitting there and he drafts Liljegren or that small under sized center Hischier...

Edited by LeftWinger

47 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I kind of want him to do just that to see your hilarious reaction.

You want Holland to make a bad pick, just to see the reaction from LGWers? :sleepy:

I agree with Lefty. If Holland takes the small, left-handed, play-making center (Hischier) with any of the big, right-shooting centers / wingers (Patrick, Vilardi, Tippett) still on the board, I'd be pissed. I'd also be pissed if he takes Liljegren with any of those guys still up there. If we get in the top 3, and we don't draft one of those three guys, f*** Holland...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

You want Holland to make a bad pick, just to see the reaction from LGWers? :sleepy:

I agree with Lefty. If Holland takes the small, left-handed, play-making center (Hischier) with any of the big, right-shooting centers / wingers (Patrick, Vilardi, Tippett) still on the board, I'd be pissed. I'd also be pissed if he takes Liljegren with any of those guys still up there. If we get in the top 3, and we don't draft one of those three guys, f*** Holland...

Pissed about what? That he didn't pick the guy you decided was better based on your internet scouting?

I'll take whomever Holland selects, watch how they play out, and hope for the best quite honestly. I assume there's a lot smarter hockey brains in that room than my own.

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pissed about what? That he didn't pick the guy you decided was better based on your internet scouting?

I'll take whomever Holland selects, watch how they play out, and hope for the best quite honestly. I assume there's a lot smarter hockey brains in that room than my own.

I don't know who "will be better", but I know "who is projected to be better" based on scouting reports and mock drafts. We should be drafting the best player available that suits the team needs. We don't need another undersized, play-making center. Who knows, maybe Hischier develops into the best player in this draft, 3-5 years from now, but as it sits today, I'd take any of the 3 ahead of him.

I don't doubt for a second that there are much smarter hockey brains in that room than you or I, but that doesn't mean we can't question decisions they make, and if Holland were to go off the board, as a fan of the team, I would be pissed...

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't know who "will be better", but I know "who is projected to be better" based on scouting reports and mock drafts. We should be drafting the best player available that suits the team needs. We don't need another undersized, play-making center. Who knows, maybe Hischier develops into the best player in this draft, 3-5 years from now, but as it sits today, I'd take any of the 3 ahead of him.

I don't doubt for a second that there are much smarter hockey brains in that room than you or I, but that doesn't mean we can't question decisions they make, and if Holland were to go off the board, as a fan of the team, I would be pissed...

Why do you think Holland would go off the board?