• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

The problem with "big guys" who are big at 17 or 18, most of them aren't big hitters because they don't need to be.  They just out muscle everyone in juniors.  Then you take a kid who's 6'0" or so, and he actually hits people.  Once he gets to be 195 or 200 lbs, he becomes a wrecking ball.

Borowiecki 6'1"

Martin 6'3"

Schenn 6'2"

Gudas 6'0"

Foligno 6-3

Larsson 6-3

Dubinsky 6-2

Ritchie 6-2

Emelin 6-2

Reaves 6-1

Wilson 6-4

Those are the top 11 hitters in the NHL this season.  Mix between Europeans and North Americans, and other than Wilson the same height or shorter than guys people have argued are too small.  It has nothing to do with height, it has everything to do with attitude.

That works for me.  I would just like to see them dish out a few hits instead of being on the receiving end all the time.  I think our scouts can spot a player like that better than me so I'll let them decide.  With the ninth pick I hope we get a high skill player because we haven't picked that low in years.  Maybe Necas would be ok but I'm rooting for Suzuki.  I don't want to waste a pick on a guy who scored one point this year ( Kostin ).  Maybe if he lasted until round two but that wont happen.  Maybe we will sign that 6'5' Swede to keep me happy

Been a while. Divorce will do that. There is still only 1 guy that I pick at 9 and that is Foote. Good size, good skater, good offensively, and good defensively. He will be a #2 in the NHL is about 3 years. Draft and we all can smile and be happy.

Any chance we consider moving mike green for an additional 2017 1st rounder? Knowing its ken holland it's pretty not much zero chance but as much as need To put a competitive team on the ice he's locked up one more year and then he most likely walks 

I'd LOVE to draft Erik brannstrom with that extra pick , if we can land him in the first with a valimaki or another dman  in the first , I'd say we did good , and sit back and hope for the best with these young dmen

if green is gone we can also  protect both ouellet  and Jensen 

5 hours ago, Richdg said:

Been a while. Divorce will do that. There is still only 1 guy that I pick at 9 and that is Foote. Good size, good skater, good offensively, and good defensively. He will be a #2 in the NHL is about 3 years. Draft and we all can smile and be happy.

maybe.  Or maybe he's a 3rd pair guy, opr career AHLer.  There are no sure things at 9

36 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Any chance we consider moving mike green for an additional 2017 1st rounder? Knowing its ken holland it's pretty not much zero chance but as much as need To put a competitive team on the ice he's locked up one more year and then he most likely walks 

I'd LOVE to draft Erik brannstrom with that extra pick , if we can land him in the first with a valimaki or another dman  in the first , I'd say we did good , and sit back and hope for the best with these young dmen

I'd try it, but I don't know that any teams would move a first for Green.  Maybe if they include their 2nd in the deal they could move up, but they could probably get a better deal at the deadline.  

Plus, like you said, it's Holland and he probably thinks that they can make the playoffs as a wild card and go on some magical run and win the Cup.

44 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Depending on what happens with the cap, I would doubt that any team able to afford Green would have enough interest to give up a 1st. If he has a decent season, he should garner a fair amount of interest at the deadline next year though.

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

maybe.  Or maybe he's a 3rd pair guy, opr career AHLer.  There are no sure things at 9

I'd try it, but I don't know that any teams would move a first for Green.  Maybe if they include their 2nd in the deal they could move up, but they could probably get a better deal at the deadline.  

Plus, like you said, it's Holland and he probably thinks that they can make the playoffs as a wild card and go on some magical run and win the Cup.

Yup sadly I think he'd refuse to make a move for green but if we can land a first he should 

green would play with the team the full season instead of just a trade deadline move + it's considered a weaker draft year , I'd trade the 2nd and green  for a first but we'd also like need a 3rd whether it be this year or next coming back 

green and a 2nd for a first seems not as big a return as we should get ,smith on his own got a 2nd and 3rd and green on a right team can land 30-45 pts, I hate the pens but if he was there he'd get 40-50 ....id want to move close to 20 though to hopefully land branstromm

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Depending on what happens with the cap, I would doubt that any team able to afford Green would have enough interest to give up a 1st. If he has a decent season, he should garner a fair amount of interest at the deadline next year though.

He's only got one year left ...if he was moved now instead of the deadline the team would have him for a full season so you'd think we'd get a bigger return now

anyways sadly as mentioned since this is holland the option of even trading green has probably never even crossed his mind

This team needs to be damn near blown up, thus I am favor of trading Green to move up. However, after last year's piss poor performance and his hefty contract I sadly dont believe he's that movable. After all Im pretty sure you cant get the max value on a declining asset, unless some crazy buyer shows up.

That being said, we still have some assets that would hold some value in the offseason market…

19 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

This team needs to be damn near blown up, thus I am favor of trading Green to move up. However, after last year's piss poor performance and his hefty contract I sadly dont believe he's that movable. After all Im pretty sure you cant get the max value on a declining asset, unless some crazy buyer shows up.

That being said, we still have some assets that would hold some value in the offseason market…

Green has trade value, and will likely fetch us a 1st or 2nd rounder at the deadline if we are selling. As far as the teams ahead of us in the draft, none of those teams should be trading for an expiring contract. The teams that are likely interested in Green will be picking between 20-30, and would have no reason to trade for him now.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Green has trade value, and will likely fetch us a 1st or 2nd rounder at the deadline if we are selling. As far as the teams ahead of us in the draft, none of those teams should be trading for an expiring contract. The teams that are likely interested in Green will be picking between 20-30, and would have no reason to trade for him now.

Let me clarify, even with this potentially weak draft class I dont believe Green can be flipped for a 1st rounder unless the Wings offered up more. I agree, the teams picking between 20-30 probably have no reason to trade for him now.

The advantage of trading for Green in the off-season is you have him all year and maybe don't need to bring in a D at the deadline. You also can move him later of your season takes a crap. The advantage of waiting is you don't pay his salary for most of the year and you know for sure you're going to want to make that trade to set you up for a run.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Could Holland get a 2017 1st for Green, with little or no $$$ retained on our end? I think it's within the realm of possibility. Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton are potential fits.

Should Holland trade Green for a 2017 1st? I'm not so sure. 2018's top 31 is shaping up to be ten times more tantalizing than this year's top 31 and Green might get us a 2018 1st at next year's trade deadline. Also, he's our best defenseman. Indeed, he's the only Red Wings defenseman who's shown that he can keep his head above water in a top-pairing role. If your best defensemen are Danny DeKeyser and Xavier Ouellet, you're shamelessly tanking and very likely hurting your young players' development (across all three positions -- F, D, G).

16 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Let me clarify, even with this potentially weak draft class I dont believe Green can be flipped for a 1st rounder unless the Wings offered up more. I agree, the teams picking between 20-30 probably have no reason to trade for him now.

I agree he likely could not be flipped for a 1st right now. Though I do think he could get us a first come trade deadline based on what the market has shown the last couple years.