• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

The top brass are hot on the Czech C kid too, don't be surprised if they take him, Necas.

http://thehockeywriters.com/emptying-the-2017-nhl-combine-notebook/

• It’s not often that a prospect admits that a team had dinner with them. That was the case for Martin Necas (ranked 5th on the European skaters list.) He told me the Detroit Red Wings had dinner with him. This of course is no guarantee he gets drafted as their first-round pick, but it’s intriguing to see this as it does express a level of interest higher than usual.

Necas, Tatar, Kindl, Hudler, Frk, Nosek, Mrazek, Hronek, that new D-man

We've taken more than our share of Czechs as of late. Most of our Czech picks have done fairly well though. We must have some pretty trusted Cezch scouts in the organization.

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

http://thehockeywriters.com/emptying-the-2017-nhl-combine-notebook/

Necas, Tatar, Kindl, Hudler, Frk, Nosek, Mrazek, Hronek, that new D-man

We've taken more than our share of Czechs as of late. Most of our Czech picks have done fairly well though. We must have some pretty trusted Cezch scouts in the organization.

Tats is Slovak and Nosek was  FA pick up but I get what you mean . I think a lot of trust is put into what Fischer sees in some of these guys, Nosek and Hronek were both highly touted by Jiri . 

It's not often that a prospect admits that a team had dinner with him...

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just means that prospects don't always say who they've met with. It'd be different if it read " it's not often a team has dinner with a prospect..." 

Listening to Holland speak, Tippett sounds like the type of player Holland is looking for. With their highest draft pick in over two decades you’d probably like to see the Wings grab a centre or top pairing defenceman; but if Tippett falls into their lap, a potential perennial 20-goal scorer would be a good pick at #9.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wingingitinmotown.com/platform/amp/2017/5/17/15603150/2017-nhl-draft-profile-could-owen-tippett-be-the-power-winger-the-red-wings-go-for

2 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Tats is Slovak and Nosek was  FA pick up but I get what you mean . I think a lot of trust is put into what Fischer sees in some of these guys, Nosek and Hronek were both highly touted by Jiri . 

Yeah, I know Fisch was a big reason we landed Nosek a few years ago. I personally would prefer other players over Necas as our top pick, but he wouldn't be the worst pick at 9 (or later if we trade back). 

Necas is interesting because he's got a late birthday and so is consistently one of the youngest players in any league/tourney he plays in.  As a result, his numbers don't look all that impressive.  But when you look just at the games he plays against his peers, his stats start looking pretty good. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

As a result, his numbers don't look all that impressive.

His year in Brno (coached by Zabransky, btw) was quite good, don´t look on numbers only. Brno won czech cup, it was pretty tough for him to compete for higher ice time.

(Necas asist.) 

..hope videos working fine

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Necas is interesting because he's got a late birthday and so is consistently one of the youngest players in any league/tourney he plays in.  As a result, his numbers don't look all that impressive.  But when you look just at the games he plays against his peers, his stats start looking pretty good. 

Huh?  He was born on Jan. 15th I think, which would be the exact opposite of what you are saying....he'd consistently be one of the oldest players in the league if it works anything like here (you play with people of your birth year...calendar year).  For NHL drafting purposes, he'd still be on the older side, only players born in late Sep through Dec would be older.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I think I remember Mantha was the youngest player drafted the year we took him. I know he was 17. Amazing these kids are. I'm in awe of them all.

The truth is actually the opposite of this as well.  Mantha was literally the oldest player taken in the entire draft.  Well, they may not be true as I didn't check everyone, but the only ones that would potentially be older would be those that were passed over in their eligible years, so are being drafted at older ages.  Mantha was 2.5 months away from turning 19 when he was drafted (he wasn't 17 years old).  He was a full year older (minus a few days) than several players picked).

:blink:

What the hell....i could've swore Holland said he was 17 when he drafted him...f*** Holland. :D

Still, having an 18 year old of my own, I am still in awe if these kids. I guess when I picture my son as a baby, I relate these kids the same way since they are the same age.

Edited by LeftWinger

Regardless of age Necas would be a great pick at 9. Dr. Dangles did a great write up on him a few weeks back that sold me. If Necas, Petterson, and Suzuki are all still available at 9 I would consider trading back a few spots to get a 2018 2nd. 

Just read that Mittelstadt couldn't do a single pull-up and only benched 80% of his weight once at the combine. Not end of the world, and I know he's got room to make strength gains but holy. I thought they start these kids in the weight room in middle school nowadays?

22 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

Just read that Mittelstadt couldn't do a single pull-up and only benched 80% of his weight once at the combine. Not end of the world, and I know he's got room to make strength gains but holy. I thought they start these kids in the weight room in middle school nowadays?

Is his first name Nancy?

43 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

I don't understand how someone so physically active can be that weak. I mean I haven't worked out consistently in 6 years but I can usually pull my fat ass up at least 5 times. That's legit pull ups too. None of that leg kick flailing bs lol.

14 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

I don't understand how someone so physically active can be that weak. I mean I haven't worked out consistently in 6 years but I can usually pull my fat ass up at least 5 times. That's legit pull ups too. None of that leg kick flailing bs lol.

I can't do too many now that I weigh more, but at his age when I played high school I definitely could bench more than I weighed and was able to do a number of pull ups. I was far from being one of the stronger kids on the team as well.

Maybe he's one of those kids who had so much talent compared to his peers he thought the weight room wasn't necessary? We definitely had a few kids on our team that had that opinion.

56 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

casey-mittelstadt.jpg

Now I'm imagining a top prospect in the draft doing exactly this on his first pull-up attempt :D thanks for that. 

It is somewhat surprising. Maybe his weight is 70+% legs haha 

I'm sure he'll put on plenty of weight at Minny but damn that picture of him is a little sad... Hopefully this helps him fall to us :ninja: 

3 minutes ago, amato said:

casey-mittelstadt.jpg

Now I'm imagining a top prospect in the draft doing exactly this on his first pull-up attempt :D thanks for that. 

It is somewhat surprising. Maybe his weight is 70+% legs haha 

I'm sure he'll put on plenty of weight at Minny but damn that picture of him is a little sad... Hopefully this helps him fall to us :ninja: 

He looks like he has the same slim-build that I had when I was his age, and I could bang out close to 20 mid-season. Maybe he's just a wuss.

2 hours ago, BinMucker94 said:

That's how to impress the ladies bro, finesse with the leg kick. 

3 hours ago, BadgerBob said:

Well, hockey players are generally not that strong when starting off compared to other sports (Football, Basketball for instance) but that is pretty sad. 

On the other hand the article says McDavid did only 6 pull ups and he's supposed to be better than Crosby so.. 1 vs 6.. Ehh sounds weak either way for both. 

Edited by kickazz

It's all about the Soy Milk these days though. 

Soy milk, almond milk.... BS. Show me the teat on a soy bean or almond and them you can call it milk. Almond milk is really just nut juice.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Just now, DickieDunn said:

Soy milk, almond milk.... BS. Show me the teat on a soy bean or almond and them you can call it milk. Almond milk is really just nut juice.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Indeed, only Dickie would know that.