• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

If the Devils really choose a smaller guy who's game won't translate as well to the NHL over the bigger more ready NHL player then I honestly don't know.

Glad Viliardi dropped maybe theres a small chance the Wings can get him now, heck I would easily take him over Hierschier

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Button has Poehling, Joseph, Tolvanen, Andersson, Chytil, and Lipanov all above Tippett. I've never even heard of these guys. I'm sure I do not follow the draft as closely as you, but I think that fact is quite telling. The lackluster combine performance doesn't help either. Drafting Tippett at #9 doesn't mean we get Phil Kessell, just like drafting Pettersson at #9 doesn't mean we get Henrik Zetterberg. They're style of play comparisons. That's it.

I would be happy to have Tippett, I think he's a great player, but I'm not in favor of using the 9th pick on a guy ranked at 23.

It was a little tongue in cheek... Of course I know drafting Tippett doesn't mean we're getting a Kessel clone... All I'm saying is I don't think it would be that disastrous to pick him at 9.

This is what one draft analyst has him ranked, and as much as I value Button's opinion, I wouldn't take it as gospel. I'm sure there are numerous other draft analysts that would still have him up there. I still wouldn't be at all shocked to see Tippett go in the top 10, and I'd be a little surprised if he's still available beyond 15. 

5 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

If the Devils really choose a smaller guy who's game won't translate as well to the NHL over the bigger more ready NHL player then I honestly don't know.

Glad Viliardi dropped maybe theres a small chance the Wings can get him now, heck I would easily take him over Hierschier

Hischier is 6'1" 176 lbs as an 18 year old and already plays in North America.... (but yes he is born in Europe, so he is naturally inferior)

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

It was a little tongue in cheek... Of course I know drafting Tippett doesn't mean we're getting a Kessel clone... All I'm saying is I don't think it would be that disastrous to pick him at 9.

This is what one draft analyst has him ranked, and as much as I value Button's opinion, I wouldn't take it as gospel. I'm sure there are numerous other draft analysts that would still have him up there. I still wouldn't be at all shocked to see Tippett go in the top 10, and I'd be a little surprised if he's still available beyond 15. 

Agreed.

I'd like to see some other post-combine mock drafts to compare where he's ranked.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agreed.

I'd like to see some other post-combine mock drafts to compare where he's ranked.

Guillame Lepage has Tippett ranked at number 6, and Makar at 9.

https://www.nhl.com/news/guillame-lepage-second-mock-2017-nhl-draft-projections/c-289753990

Adam Kimelman has Tippett ranked at number at 8, and Glass at 9. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/second-nhl-mock-draft-adam-kimelman-projections-2017/c-289750808

Mike Morreale has Tippett ranked at number 9.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-morreale-second-nhl-mock-draft-projections-2017/c-289750810?tid=277764372

All three of these mocks were done post combine. However, I'm not sure how much any of them took the results from the combine into account, if at all.

I'd personally be okay with any of these three picks, but then again, there are about 7 players I'd be more than happy with taking at 9. The only player that consistently pops up in the top 10, that I'm really not in favour of drafting is Rasmussen...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Guillame Lepage has Tippett ranked at number 6, and Makar at 9.

https://www.nhl.com/news/guillame-lepage-second-mock-2017-nhl-draft-projections/c-289753990

Adam Kimelman has Tippett ranked at number at 8, and Glass at 9. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/second-nhl-mock-draft-adam-kimelman-projections-2017/c-289750808

Mike Morreale has Tippett ranked at number 9.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-morreale-second-nhl-mock-draft-projections-2017/c-289750810?tid=277764372

All three of these mocks were done post combine. However, I'm not sure how much any of them took the results from the combine into account, if at all.

I'd personally be okay with any of these three picks, but then again, there are about 7 players I'd be more than happy with taking at 9. The only player that consistently pops up in the top 10, that I'm really not in favour of drafting is Rasmussen...

Rasmussen is a dumpster fire on skates

Button has never been a fan of Tippett. He had him at 20 in his previous ranking. Not sure why.

Something worth noting on some of the high-end Euros... Going by Eliteprospects.com, none of Necas, Pettersson, Liljegren, or Heiskanen have been drafted by the CHL, meaning they would be eligible to go to GR at any time.

Did some investigating on Button/Tippett

Note: Craigs list is not a mock draft, but his own personal feelings on the ranks of these players. He actually projects that Tippett goes 6th to Carolina.

He ranks Tippett at 20th because he does not feel Tippetts game will translate well to the NHL. According to him, Tippett is a very one-dimensional player who heavily relies on his explosive speed to score on the rush and defeat defenders one-on-one. Button feels that in the NHL, where defenders are much more defensively disciplined, Tippett will effectively lose this aspect of his game, which is essentially all of his offensive game. Specifically, Tippett isn't very good cycling the puck in the zone.

31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Did some investigating on Button/Tippett

Note: Craigs list is not a mock draft, but his own personal feelings on the ranks of these players. He actually projects that Tippett goes 6th to Carolina.

He ranks Tippett at 20th because he does not feel Tippetts game will translate well to the NHL. According to him, Tippett is a very one-dimensional player who heavily relies on his explosive speed to score on the rush and defeat defenders one-on-one. Button feels that in the NHL, where defenders are much more defensively disciplined, Tippett will effectively lose this aspect of his game, which is essentially all of his offensive game. Specifically, Tippett isn't very good cycling the puck in the zone.

Good to know. But I'm not sure why these things would make Button believe his game won't translate well to the NHL. Hardest things to work on at this stage of development in my opinion, are skating and shooting. Easiest thing to work on, cycling the puck and other fundamentals. Explosive speed, blistering right-handed shot, sounds great to me. Also, we could use a couple guys that are "one-dimensional", that concentrate more so on the offensive side of the game...

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hischier is 6'1" 176 lbs as an 18 year old and already plays in North America.... (but yes he is born in Europe, so he is naturally inferior)

Agreed.

Yeah and Patrick is already almost at 200 lbs if not even above it now. His dad also played in the NHL so the kid knows what to expect how to slow the game down and bring a simple game which should translate much better than Hierschiers flashy type of game. Not that hard to understand. Also the reason why I would take Vilardi over Hierschier.

For whatever reason Button is always a fan of more flashy players, proven expert for sure but I believe the best list is always the one McKenzie does because he interviews different pro scouts and based on many ratings a player gets he builds his list.

Anyhow I wish the Wings could just forward this season anbd then kick of the real rebuild next season with a top 3 pick because the chance for that to happen is huge.

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Good to know. But I'm not sure why these things would make Button believe his game won't translate well to the NHL. Hardest things to work on at this stage of development in my opinion, are skating and shooting. Easiest thing to work on, cycling the puck and other fundamentals. Explosive speed, blistering right-handed shot, sounds great to me. Also, we could use a couple guys that are "one-dimensional", that concentrate more so on the offensive side of the game...

Yeah I see your point. I don't think Butts see Tippett like one would see... say Larkin or McDavid. Tipps is fast... but not that fast. And guys like Larkin and McDavid are extremely creative and versatile, whereas (as Craig would argue) Tippet is not. He leans heavily on the rush in order to score. When in the zone he does not cycle the puck well, or even try to cycle it at all. He almost always tries to move the puck to the center of the ice, or as one might call it a scoring zone. Problem with this is it apparently results in Tippett taking a high volume of low percentage shots, which often results in a turnover. So I think in Button's mind Tippet has mastered one way to play, and that's it. And all its going to take from NHL teams is to anticipate his game and shut it and him down. In my mind this is what makes speedy guys like Larkin and McD so dangerous. You cannot anticipate what theyre going to do. Time will tell if Button is correct or not. Who knows, maybe Tippetts NHL coach can teach him to adjust his game effectively.

Button said the same thing about Virtanen in his draft year, and has been mostly right so far. I don't swear by Craig Button or anything though.

39 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Yeah and Patrick is already almost at 200 lbs if not even above it now. His dad also played in the NHL so the kid knows what to expect how to slow the game down and bring a simple game which should translate much better than Hierschiers flashy type of game. Not that hard to understand. Also the reason why I would take Vilardi over Hierschier.

For whatever reason Button is always a fan of more flashy players, proven expert for sure but I believe the best list is always the one McKenzie does because he interviews different pro scouts and based on many ratings a player gets he builds his list.

Anyhow I wish the Wings could just forward this season anbd then kick of the real rebuild next season with a top 3 pick because the chance for that to happen is huge.

200 lbs? Wowzers. Patrick is definitely the heavier and therefore better player.

I always said the Leafs f'ed up taking Mitch Marner. Should've taken 206 lb Paul Bittner when they had the chance. Suckers.

200 lbs? Wowzers. Patrick is definitely the heavier and therefore better player.

I always said the Leafs f'ed up taking Mitch Marner. Should've taken 206 lb Paul Bittner when they had the chance. Suckers.

Whatever not worth discussing this. 1. the Leafs have nothing to do with this discussion 2. neither does Marner 3. Playing in the NHL against bigger and more sound defenseman is a different beast maybe one day you'll understand it...

20 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Whatever not worth discussing this. 1. the Leafs have nothing to do with this discussion 2. neither does Marner 3. Playing in the NHL against bigger and more sound defenseman is a different beast maybe one day you'll understand it...

Perhaps we should select this Valimaki kid. He's 204 lbs! Certainly a whole different beast than either Patrick or Vilardi 

Translation: I refuse to admit that I'm wrong, so I'm not going to discuss it anymore

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

I'm not sure how serious you can take this mock draft when they have Foote going 3rd overall... I'd be thrilled though if this is how it went down and we had the choice between Liljegren and Tippett. I'd pick Tippett, but I definitely wouldn't complain if we went with Liljegren.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pensionplanpuppets.com/platform/amp/nhl-draft/2017/6/13/15788682/full-2017-nhl-entry-draft-order-toronto-maple-leafs-draft-picks-by-number

Final draft order. If Tippett is gone at #9, I'd love to see Holland try to swing a deal with St. Louis trading them the #9 and a player (Nyquist/Tatar/Helm) for their #20 & #27. I'd also still like to see if Edmonton would give us the #22 for Mike Green.

Edited by LeftWinger