• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

yea its a shame this draft class is weak and we got bumped down if we had a top 5 it would have been nice to see that player go this fall

Patrick or Hischier would've been reeeeeeeeeally nice. :(

For what it's worth, next year's draft class is shaping up to be really. freaking. good. So there's that.

Just now, Dabura said:

Patrick or Hischier would've been reeeeeeeeeally nice. :(

For what it's worth, next year's draft class is shaping up to be really. freaking. good. So there's that.

yea and barring any massive superstar changes i can us finishing almost the same if not alittle worse although it dont change my loyalty 

Ok final thoughts before the draft. Yes there will be trades before and during the draft. But as of today with what we know what would I do?

1st round: Foote or Rasmussen. Foote should be a 2/3 D in a couple of years. Rasmussen should be a 2C maybe better. Both guys fill major needs. Not only do they both have the needed size, both skate well, both are good offensively and good defensively. Rasmussen is a great front of net guy, something we really need. Might be a winger down the road.

2nd round: Jake Oettinger G. The G of the future.

3rd round: Scooter Brickley D. A poor mans Foote.

Then grab the best available from there.

Is that what I think we do? No for the 1st round. If I was going to bet I would bet that we take Kristian Vesalainen. He is a 6-4/210 LH shooting LW/RW. He has been called Lil Puljujarvi or Puljujarvi Lite for a couple of years.

If we go with either Rasmussen or Vesalainen in the 1st, we are going to have a nice core of F's to build around. Mantha 6-5/225, Svechnikov 6-3/210, AA 6-2/190, Larkin 6-1/190, Smith 6-2/210 and then either Rasmussen 6-5/225 or Vesalainen 6-4/210. That is a very good talented group of good sized fast and skilled F's to build around.

Yes my disclaimer for Ksmith. We need more Dmen. But you also have to draft value. The F's available at 9th are better than the Dmen.

25 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Ok final thoughts before the draft. Yes there will be trades before and during the draft. But as of today with what we know what would I do?

1st round: Foote or Rasmussen. Foote should be a 2/3 D in a couple of years. Rasmussen should be a 2C maybe better. Both guys fill major needs. Not only do they both have the needed size, both skate well, both are good offensively and good defensively. Rasmussen is a great front of net guy, something we really need. Might be a winger down the road.

2nd round: Jake Oettinger G. The G of the future.

3rd round: Scooter Brickley D. A poor mans Foote.

Then grab the best available from there.

Is that what I think we do? No for the 1st round. If I was going to bet I would bet that we take Kristian Vesalainen. He is a 6-4/210 LH shooting LW/RW. He has been called Lil Puljujarvi or Puljujarvi Lite for a couple of years.

If we go with either Rasmussen or Vesalainen in the 1st, we are going to have a nice core of F's to build around. Mantha 6-5/225, Svechnikov 6-3/210, AA 6-2/190, Larkin 6-1/190, Smith 6-2/210 and then either Rasmussen 6-5/225 or Vesalainen 6-4/210. That is a very good talented group of good sized fast and skilled F's to build around.

Yes my disclaimer for Ksmith. We need more Dmen. But you also have to draft value. The F's available at 9th are better than the Dmen.

Hilarious that you menation me, because I couldn't disagree more with your picks. Those are two of the handful of guys I would be disappointed if we pick. It looks like you're basing your picks too much on size. We need skill with our 9th overall pick. If you've read anything I've written in this thread, you'd know I'm totally fine with taking centers or defensemen, because both are massive needs now and in the future. My picks based on who I think could potentially be available at 9 are Glass, Tippett, Liljegren, Makar. There are quite a few others I'd be okay with as well, but if we take Rasmussen or Vesalainen at 9 I'd be pretty disappointed...

56 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hilarious that you menation me, because I couldn't disagree more with your picks. Those are two of the handful of guys I would be disappointed if we pick. It looks like you're basing your picks too much on size. We need skill with our 9th overall pick. If you've read anything I've written in this thread, you'd know I'm totally fine with taking centers or defensemen, because both are massive needs now and in the future. My picks based on who I think could potentially be available at 9 are Glass, Tippett, Liljegren, Makar. There are quite a few others I'd be okay with as well, but if we take Rasmussen or Vesalainen at 9 I'd be pretty disappointed...

havent read the thread in a long time. to many rl issues going on.

This is one of those drafts were there are a lot of players I like, no one that I love, and a few that I hate. I still look at our team and see 2 major weaknesses: we have No Net Front players-none 0 zip nadda and we don't have any front of net clearing Dmen. But that is my opinion.

I like Tippett and think he is a guy that could be in detroit in 1 more year. Some compare him to Kessel. Kessel doesn't play D so that is kind of the kiss of death and why I dont think we take him.

I think we take Vesaleinen becasue he is a good 2 way player, even though he isn't a C which is more of a need. Ves is a 2 liner who should be a 20-25 goal 50 point guy down the road. He could end up being a more consistant Franzen. Never have the hot streaks were he scores 15 goals in 20 games, but also not have the 5 goals in 30 games stretches either.

I can't wait. I'm either going to be really happy or really not.

Re: Pettersson, I did some reading, I like that he is described as aggressive in both zones. You know my first choice, but Pettersson can be in a handful of kids that would be ok if Tippett is gone. 

Vilardi would be number one on my list as well, but unfortunately, I don't see any chance he falls to 9. 

Yeah it's just me hoping teams liks Vancouver, Colorado and Vegas are going to pass on him because they want defense

Plus I would take him over Hirschier if I were Hextall

Some more guys that I like in the 3rd/4th rounds:

Jonah Gadjovich 6-2/201 LHed LW. Plays like Abby. Maybe a better scorer.

D'Artagnan Joly 6-3/180 RHed RW. Great skater and play maker. Is he any good with a rapier? The name alone........

Macauley Carson 6-1/205 LHed LW. Think Smith from last year. Gritty tough F that scores.

Dan Bukac 6-4/200 RHed D. Very good skater and passer. Needs to add strength and fill out.

Jacob Paquette 6-2/200 LHed D. Classic tough stay at home Dman.

Austin Pratt 6-2/210 LHed C/LW. A great checker and defensive F. Good skater. Has a great shot, but is slow at shooting.

10 hours ago, amato said:

Liljegren, Haiskanen, Makar, Tippett, Glass, Mittelstad (in no particular order) 

Heiskanen is another player that would be at the top of my list, but also another player I don't see dropping to us at 9.

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Heiskanen is another player that would be at the top of my list, but also another player I don't see dropping to us at 9.

Yeah of the ones I listed, I don't really expect him, mittelstad, Tippett, and one of the other d-men (toss up imo) to be there at 9.. but those are guys I'll be watching closely if they begin to slide at all. 

In terms of players who can possibly be available at #9, I'm hopeful for Liljegren. He was ranked #2 behind Patrick until he got hit with mono. That along with the fact he is already playing against men makes him the obvious pick if he is there at #9 IMO. I'm glad Makar is getting all the buzz on defense, as I feel it gives the Wings a shot at the Swede. 

Edited by marcaractac

I understand the need for a D, but if Liljegren is nhl material, where's he going to play here? Unless we ditch a couple of D, there's no room for him, especially with Knee Cap and Erection taking up roster spots. So if he's drafted, he'll wind up in GR or stay in Sweden until we have an opening, when he should be in the NHL.

That's part of the reason id prefer a fwd at #9. Right now we have 10 signed, 12 with AA & Tatar getting  re-signed. Minus Franzen back down to 11, that leaves 3 fwd spots to fill, even with Svech and possibly Frk getting a spot, someone like Tippett et al. could make the team before a D could.