• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I understand the need for a D, but if Liljegren is nhl material, where's he going to play here? Unless we ditch a couple of D, there's no room for him, especially with Knee Cap and Erection taking up roster spots. So if he's drafted, he'll wind up in GR or stay in Sweden until we have an opening, when he should be in the NHL.

I feel like whoever we draft, regardless of position, will not start in the NHL. There are usually only a few each year that do and they're gone before 9.

I imagine liljegren would stay in Sweden for a year and then, if development goes well, make the wings out of training camp the following year. 

I feel like whoever we draft, regardless of position, will not start in the NHL. There are usually only a few each year that do and they're gone before 9.
I imagine liljegren would stay in Sweden for a year and then, if development goes well, make the wings out of training camp the following year. 

other than maybe Patrick I don't think anyone is ready for full time NHL grinds

If it's Liljegren let him stay in Sweden, play against men and bring him over once he dominates there

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I understand the need for a D, but if Liljegren is nhl material, where's he going to play here? Unless we ditch a couple of D, there's no room for him, especially with Knee Cap and Erection taking up roster spots. So if he's drafted, he'll wind up in GR or stay in Sweden until we have an opening, when he should be in the NHL.

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That's part of the reason id prefer a fwd at #9. Right now we have 10 signed, 12 with AA & Tatar getting  re-signed. Minus Franzen back down to 11, that leaves 3 fwd spots to fill, even with Svech and possibly Frk getting a spot, someone like Tippett et al. could make the team before a D could.

It doesn't matter who we draft at 9, they won't be ready this coming season. Best case scenario, they're ready to start the 2018-19 season in Detroit. That gives us a full season to make room on the roster. If Liljegren is as good as he's been advertised, we shouldn't have any problem making room for him on our blueline. It's very possible that Kronwall could decide to hang them up after this season, with the last season of his contract only being worth $1.75M. Or maybe we decide to buy-out the remaining two years of Ericsson's contract. We can always trade a couple pieces as well. There are always options. We desperately need help on the back end, you don't not take an elite defenseman because there are too many mediocre defensemen on the team right now...

Don't get me wrong, we need centers just as bad as defensemen, so I'd be okay with either, but if we get Liljegren at 9, I'd be ecstatic.

32 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So let's just ignore the need for a potential #1 dman just because the roster spots are already filled? The Tippett desire knows no bounds, I guess.

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

So let's just ignore the need for a potential #1 dman just because the roster spots are already filled? The Tippett desire knows no bounds, I guess.

Not ignoring the need, but if we retain XO, that'll make 7 D already here. Just saying that if he's nhl ready, he won't get nhl time here right now...but a forward would. That's all, nothing more.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not ignoring the need, but if we retain XO, that'll make 7 D already here. Just saying that if he's nhl ready, he won't get nhl time here right now...but a forward would. That's all, nothing more.

This logic to go against drafting a potential top dman still makes literally zero sense. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

This logic to go against drafting a potential top dman still makes literally zero sense. 

Don't get me wrong, if Liljegren is NHL ready and we draft him, and we ditched Ericsson, it'd be good. If we lose XO, there would a spot to compete for with Russo, etc...

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Don't get me wrong, if Liljegren is NHL ready and we draft him, and we ditched Ericsson, it'd be good. If we lose XO, there would a spot to compete for with Russo, etc...

Liljegren won't play in the NHL this season period. Even so, if he were NHL ready and willing to play now, the team would make a roster spot for him. It's that simple. 

Edited by marcaractac

19 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I can't wait. I'm either going to be really happy or really not.

Re: Pettersson, I did some reading, I like that he is described as aggressive in both zones. You know my first choice, but Pettersson can be in a handful of kids that would be ok if Tippett is gone. 

I leave for one weekend and now Lefty is ok with Pettersson?? What time line is this???

mr-krabs-confused.jpg

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Jensen, Sproul or Ericsson cold be waived to make room without hurting the team at all.

I foresee us drafting a defenseman with our 9th pick. We ain't getting 'Red' Tippett, no use in crying over spilt milk. Looking at our roster and our farm teams, we are lacking a defensively solid, offensively flat out dangerous defenseman.

Brighten up though, we have plenty of picks in the early rounds in this years draft. Someone should statistically pan out to be a fine player. Maybe even a small star, albeit unlikely. Remember, Zetterberg was certainly an unlikely star. He's a good captain as he's proven this past season, despite us not making the playoffs.

Edited by Jacksoni

Not sure if anyone saw the article, but Custance had a good article on the Wings and Holland.

https://theathletic.com/68049/2017/06/19/custance-inside-ken-hollands-challenge-of-rebuilding-the-red-wings-on-the-fly/

Sounds like he's going hard for Makar and there's flexibility in moving up or down, but not too far down to get an extra pick.  I don't mind this, but will admit I don't know much about Makar and how far off he is or where he projects to end up.

https://theathletic.com/68049/2017/06/19/custance-inside-ken-hollands-challenge-of-rebuilding-the-red-wings-on-the-fly/

Article written after Custance spoke with Holland. It'd probably cost too much for most anyone to be comfortable with but he says Holland hasn't ruled out trading into the top 3... any ideas what that might cost and who we'd be targeting?

I imagine it'd be if patrick fell to 3 and the stars made the pick available. But I'd think a lot of teams would be interested in the pick then. 

Don't really think it will happen but thought it was interesting that it's "in consideration" to move into the top 3 and figure it gives us something else to talk about while we wait for Wednesday's Vegas reveal :P 

4 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Not sure if anyone saw the article, but Custance had a good article on the Wings and Holland.

Sounds like he's going hard for Makar and there's flexibility in moving up or down, but not too far down to get an extra pick.  I don't mind this, but will admit I don't know much about Makar and how far off he is or where he projects to end up.

Haha beat me to it. Good article for sure. A lot around here won't be happy with it because of hollands "rebuild on the fly" mentality being reiterated.. but a good article nonetheless. 

People complain about the lack of elite talent in the pipeline but this draft is the first real year for the Wings rebuild. It's gonna look better and better as fans going forward. We've pretty much hit rock bottom and with Holland being in a cap crunch theirs not much he can do except rebuild. If Wings can finish bottom 5 for the next two years we'll be in good shape and look back at these years as the dark times 

I do think Hague will be gone in the first round, although I really don't see the hype that's been surrounding him (mostly by one particular person here...). I've seen so many mock drafts with us taking Pettersson. He still wouldn't be my first choice, but wouldn't be a terrible pick either. I'm still hoping for Glass or Liljegren... or if five teams ahead of us f*** up, Vilardi...