• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

I guess it's the effect of someone comparing him to Holmstrom in that one article, but he really doesn't seem to be only a netfront guy. He looks like he has a pretty great shot as well. From the 26 goals shown in this highlight video they definitely don't just show netfront goals. I broke them down as such:
6 up close side of the net (from passes, mostly)
5 netfront rebound
3 netfront tips
12 slot one timer/shot (mostly on the rush) some nice snipes
The first few are cleanup type goals, though, so you can skip ahead if you want.

One thing I liked in the descriptions of his game was that he's great a board battles and protecting the puck. That's definitely something we've been lacking. That also might be a case for moving him to the wing, but c'est la vie.

Except EVERY report talks about his play around the net, and his lack of play making ability, at least the ones who don't​ make every kid sound like a future star. His stats bear out the negatives. Few primary assists, relatively low es points, makes his living on the PP and by using his size advantage, which won't be as great in the NHL.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Except EVERY report talks about his play around the net, and his lack of play making ability, at least the ones who don't make every kid sound like a future star. His stats bear out the negatives. Few primary assists, relatively low es points, makes his living on the PP and by using his size advantage, which won't be as great in the NHL.

But no articles have said he's ONLY a netfront guy. That's what I was saying. He seems to have been reduced to such. 

Also, how did you turn "uses his size advantage" into a negative? That must be a first on LGW.com. 6'6" will always be big and if he's 221 at age 18, he could be one of the biggest forwards in the league - especially in any top 6 - if he gets there. He's already big than most power forward types like Simmonds, Benn, Carter. Maybe OV and Wheeler are a bit heavier right now... He'll still have a size advantage if he learns how to use it in the NHL.

If all he had was size than it wouldn't mean much, but - watching highlights (and reading other places than LGW - I get the impression of more skilled guy - that was my point. And he's not manhandling people or doing the pile-on for netfront goals. He seems to have good hands in tight. I recommend watching a bunch of the footage of him on youtube, if haven't already. Finally, he was on pace for 43 goals when he broke his arm - I suspect it'd be a different reaction to drafting him if we were looking at that number.

Anyway, I've said my piece on him - just arguing for a more balanced view. I'm out for a few days.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I'm not confident Rasmussen stays on the board if they had dropped back and he was their top man regardless of what the local keyboard experts are opining. I am very confident that Lindstrom would have been available to them in the 3rd round unless they caught wind of something through the rumor mill or the pedigree grapevine/linkage. That was the only pick that has me smh and it's just about the timing and value standpoint not the player. I'm really intrigued by the 3rd round picks and the big Danish kid who is supposed to be a really good outlet passer.

Not a great draft but not an epic fail like Puck Daddy, Wheeler and a few other pundits are calling it either. B- overall.

12 minutes ago, Glubki said:

I'm not confident Rasmussen stays on the board if they had dropped back and he was their top man regardless of what the local keyboard experts are opining. I am very confident that Lindstrom would have been available to them in the 3rd round unless they caught wind of something through the rumor mill or the pedigree grapevine/linkage. That was the only pick that has me smh and it's just about the timing and value standpoint not the player. I'm really intrigued by the 3rd round picks and the big Danish kid who is supposed to be a really good outlet passer.

Not a great draft but not an epic fail like Puck Daddy, Wheeler and a few other pundits are calling it either. B- overall.

I highly doubt this guy would have gone in the first round.

We'll, one thing is sure, they went for big kids. Still sour at the #9, but cant say I know too much about the rest, so we'll just hope we get 3 or 4 winners. I won't hold my breath on him making any deals this summer to better the team. If he does, he'll overpay.

8 hours ago, Richdg said:

Just think about the guys that should be the core of our team for the next 12-15 years. Mantha-a sniper, pure goal scorer. Svechnikov-sniper and play maker. Larkin-very good speed, good shooter and passer. AA-very good speed, good shooter average play maker, G Smith-big physical puck retriever with some offensive skill. These are the guys that will become our top 6. They will also fill out of top 2 PP units. What is missing? Front of net. No one else in the entire system can play that role. Adding Tippett doesn't solve that. He is another sniper, which is fine. But then we have to do something dumb like this year when we had to use Mantha and Vanek as the front of net guy, roles that they are not suited for. After Vanek it got worse and we had to use Sheahan! We also used helm and Nyquist in that role. This is why Rasmussen fits our team and the team needs so well. On paper anyway.

Look at potential PP units down the road:

Unit 1, using a 1-3-1:

net front: rasmussen

slot: Mantha

RH wing: Larkin

LH wing: Sproul/Russo

Point: DD

Unit 2, using a 1-3-1:

net front: Smith

Slot: Svechnikov

RH wing: AA

LH wing: Jensen/Cholowski

Point: Lindstrom

Those are not bad units based on potential. Now if Tippett was our choice we lack a net from guy and we take one of the wings out of the lineup. With him being a RHed shot it would be one of the Sproul/Russo or Jensen/Cholowski pairs.

Why do you have two defensemen listed on your pp units? I sure hope we a better option on the point than DD when Rasmussen is ready for the NHL. 

Edited by BringBack19

I'm torn over this pick, as I agree that on paper, at least, Vilardi was the better choice.  Still, with the obvious choice to emphasize size this year, Rasmussen fits that well.  I am glad someone else mentioned the old Herb Brooks quote, since that is what popped in my mind after the pick.  I haven't followed the draft as much this year due to gigs, so I think a wait and see to pass judgement mindset is in order.  Hopefully Kenny pulls something off in free agency.

Said it before, say it again: Both Lindstrom and Setkov, who plays in SuperElit for Malmo, are likely Hakan Anderssons picks, and that makes me very confident they'll be good and that the early pick for Lindstrom will be justified in the future.

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/Michael-Rasmussen/

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/Gustav-Lindstrom/

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/Keith-Petruzzelli/

Just read these reports (for our other picks there were none) and have to think, Ras sounds better there than I've heard so far, and Lindstrom..sounds like in best case, we can just cut the "n". :yahoo:

Petruzzelli sounds like a steal and Setkov apparently wasn't even ranked at all. From a danish article, per Google translate (:rolleyes:):

Malte Setkov was drafted yesterday as number 100 at the United Center in Chicago. The big back from Rødovre (198 centimeters and barely 90 kilos) was a surprise to most, but the Detroit Red Wings scouts have seen a great star in Setkov - and not least the progress he has made during the last season .

"Getting around him (on the ice) is almost like sailing around the globe. There has not been much talk about him during the season, but he is a solid and physical big and strong back. He has a massive range", says Håkan Andersson, Director of European Scouting at Detroit.

Setkov is compared to Detroit's second round choice Gustav Lindström from Almtuna, who is also a back who has delivered massive progress during the season.

- He (Malte Setkov) started the season at Malmö Junior 18 team and the Junior 20 coach told me that he almost laughed at Setkov at the start of the season. He was big and "wobbly". In January and February he played (Malte Setkov) powerplay on the Junior 20 team. He is almost two meters tall and is still growing, explains Håkan Andersson to Red Wings' website.

Scout's analysis: The dane has just got used to how fast his body grew during the last year's time.

Still growing..maybe we've drafted the next Chara? :lol:

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

4 hours ago, Glubki said:

I find it funny that some keep using this to describe the people that think it was a botched pick. How are we any different than the ones saying it was a good pick? Neither side (for the most part) are saying definitively that Rasmussen IS going to suck or IS going to be great, just what they believe he will develop into at the NHL level.

As for whether or not Rasmussen would have been available if they moved back, we'll never know, but I believe he would have been if they moved back 2-3 spots, and would have been worth the risk. They've been willing to risk it several times in the past (Mantha, Cholowski), it just sucks they weren't willing to this time.

Why are you so confident that Lindstrom would have been available later? But it's not okay for some of us to believe Rasmussen would have been available at around 12? According to Wright, several teams approached him after the pick, praising them on such a great selection, and they were hoping he would be available shortly after he was selected 38th overall. I think either one of Lindstrom or Kotkansalo have a great chance of being one of those 2nd / 3rd round defense gems.

I was pleased with the picks after the first. The only complaint I would make is that we should have traded up to get another 2nd to grab one of Timmins, Hague, or Samberg. The Rasmussen pick doesn't sit well with me though, so I give the two days a C+ overall...

9 hours ago, Richdg said:

Just think about the guys that should be the core of our team for the next 12-15 years. Mantha-a sniper, pure goal scorer. Svechnikov-sniper and play maker. Larkin-very good speed, good shooter and passer. AA-very good speed, good shooter average play maker, G Smith-big physical puck retriever with some offensive skill. These are the guys that will become our top 6. They will also fill out of top 2 PP units. What is missing? Front of net. No one else in the entire system can play that role. Adding Tippett doesn't solve that. He is another sniper, which is fine. But then we have to do something dumb like this year when we had to use Mantha and Vanek as the front of net guy, roles that they are not suited for. After Vanek it got worse and we had to use Sheahan! We also used helm and Nyquist in that role. This is why Rasmussen fits our team and the team needs so well. On paper anyway.

Look at potential PP units down the road:

Unit 1, using a 1-3-1:

net front: rasmussen

slot: Mantha

RH wing: Larkin

LH wing: Sproul/Russo

Point: DD

Unit 2, using a 1-3-1:

net front: Smith

Slot: Svechnikov

RH wing: AA

LH wing: Jensen/Cholowski

Point: Lindstrom

Those are not bad units based on potential. Now if Tippett was our choice we lack a net from guy and we take one of the wings out of the lineup. With him being a RHed shot it would be one of the Sproul/Russo or Jensen/Cholowski pairs.

This is what I don't get. People keep saying how much this guy would improve our power-play. Do you know why our power-play has struggled even more so than a lack of a net-front presence? A lack of right-shooting snipers. Literally anyone can play net-front and bang in rebounds with enough practice, but not everyone can shoot the puck like Stamkos, Kessel. As you pointed out, Smith could be a net-front on one unit, and we can use any one of Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Zablocki, etc, etc (who cares) on the other unit. The importance of a great net-front is vastly overstated around here. Maybe it's because we had two of the best ever in Ciccarelli and Holmstrom. The lack of right-shooting forwards is much more of a concern going forward in my opinion and we could have decreased that concern by picking one of Vilardi or Tippett.

Side note: I would think (hope) we have better options than DeKeyser, Russo and Jensen by then. Also, Cholowski is a left-handed defenseman. I liked the Lindstrom pick too, and I hope he can quarterback a power-play some day, but is he going to jump past players like Hronek and Saarijarvi?

I'm all for the strategy of "take the best player available", and sure you can say Holland failed on that (again), but since we got the kids we got, I just say let's take a positive look at them, especially Ras, because kid cannot do anything about Holland selecting him too early.

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

31 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

I'm all for the strategy of "take the best player available", and sure you can say Holland failed on that (again), but since we got the kids we got, I just say let's take a positive look at them, especially Ras, because kid cannot do anything about Holland selecting him too early.

Absolutely! Hopefully it's one of those drafts that 8 other teams look back on and say, damn, shouldve take Rasmussen. 

40 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Because Holland just decided to take him on his own with no input...

Is this real life?

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I find it funny that some keep using this to describe the people that think it was a botched pick. How are we any different than the ones saying it was a good pick? Neither side (for the most part) are saying definitively that Rasmussen IS going to suck or IS going to be great, just what they believe he will develop into at the NHL level.

As for whether or not Rasmussen would have been available if they moved back, we'll never know, but I believe he would have been if they moved back 2-3 spots, and would have been worth the risk. They've been willing to risk it several times in the past (Mantha, Cholowski), it just sucks they weren't willing to this time.

Why are you so confident that Lindstrom would have been available later? But it's not okay for some of us to believe Rasmussen would have been available at around 12? According to Wright, several teams approached him after the pick, praising them on such a great selection, and they were hoping he would be available shortly after he was selected 38th overall. I think either one of Lindstrom or Kotkansalo have a great chance of being one of those 2nd / 3rd round defense gems.

I was pleased with the picks after the first. The only complaint I would make is that we should have traded up to get another 2nd to grab one of Timmins, Hague, or Samberg. The Rasmussen pick doesn't sit well with me though, so I give the two days a C+ overall...

I thought most were using it tongue in cheek because of a specific post the other day about Toews. It is a ridiculous and hypercritical term. 

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

We'll, one thing is sure, they went for big kids. Still sour at the #9, but cant say I know too much about the rest, so we'll just hope we get 3 or 4 winners. I won't hold my breath on him making any deals this summer to better the team. If he does, he'll overpay.

Youre always sour at #9

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Lol! Calder Trophy in his rookie year. Rocket Richard for most goals. Don't think those guys you listed will be winning rookie of the Year. Come back to reality.

Lol if you think he's going to win Rocket Richard of Patrick Laine you've got to pass us whatever you're on right now cause we're stuck here in reality.

1 hour ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

Because Holland just decided to take him on his own with no input...

Is this real life?

What about the input? The input comes from people that Holland either hired himself or continues to pay, for giving that input. If the result isn't good, the person in charge should get the blame. That's real life, oh yes.

Plus, Holland never did anything to deserve any benefit of the doubt by anybody. But this has been discussed here all over, again and again. For years, for trillions of posts...

What about the input? The input comes from people that Holland either hired himself or continues to pay, for giving that input. If the result isn't good, the person in charge should get the blame. That's real life, oh yes.
Plus, Holland never did anything to deserve any benefit of the doubt by anybody. But this has been discussed here all over, again and again. For years, for trillions of posts...

Your reaching with your argument but go ahead. You are an anti-Holland guy anyways it's expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk