• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

@kliq: You're right about the early success he had, I just wasn't a fan at that time. Started watching hockey at the beginning of the 2010 season and didn't take long to make the Wings "my" team. And since then, it's most of all like nobody stops the bleeding and rebuilds the team in a proper way.

And yes, overpaying people like E is one of the worst parts about it. :eh:

Not going to lie, if I started watching the Wings in 2010 I likely would have a very low opinion of Ken Holland. I see your perspective.

I'm 35 and started watching the Wings in 1991 when I was 9. From there I pretty much watched them get better and better with high's and low's in between until about 2009 (FU Pens). 

The 2008 cup IMO is Holland's most impressive feat, he essentially re-built on the fly without the team really losing a step even with losing Hull, Robitaille, Shanny, Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov and Hasek. I think this is why he refuses to truly sell now, as he has re-built on the fly before successfully in the cap era, the problem is that now he is locking up a lot of average to slightly above average players to long terms deals, back then he was locking up Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, Franzen etc.

Since 2010 its been pretty much downhill, though I am exited for the future. We just need to obtain some elite talent, hopefully a one or at least a few of Larkin, AA, Mantha, Chowolski, Hronek, Rasmussen etc. can become that.

I think what makes the Rasmussen pick so hard to swallow is the fact that Vilardi was still available. Had Vilardi gone earlier, I dont think anyone other then maybe @LeftWinger has an issue. We needed a center. 

Edited by kliq

The ONLY issue I have with Ken Holland are the Helm, Glendening, Dekeyser contracts and the length of the Abdelkader contract. I don't even fault him for the Ericsson contract as at the time it was a good one - then Ericsson started sucking and became exposed when Kronwall started to slow down, so it turned into a hindsight thing. 

The picks in the last 4 years have actually been good. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, Rasmussen gonna be good too, ya'll just wait. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

The ONLY issue I have with Ken Holland are the Helm, Glendening, Dekeyser contracts and the length of the Abdelkader contract. I don't even fault him for the Ericsson contract as at the time it was a good one - then Ericsson started sucking and became exposed when Kronwall started to slow down, so it turned into a hindsight thing. 

The picks in the last 4 years have actually been good. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, Rasmussen gonna be good too, ya'll just wait. 

Ericsson to me is similar to Methot or Stralman. Theyre very good next to a Hedman or Karlsson, but take that partner away and they suddenly are exposed. Kronwall isnt good enough to make Ericsson look good. 

If Methot stays in Vegas im betting he looks a lot worse than he did during his time in Ottawa

I just hope they know what they are doing with Ras. 

Anyway, teplate was quite visible this draft - big body scoring centre / D replacing Ericsson. 

Let´s meet in 365 day to celebrate Dahlin / Merkley, if not young Svech. I believe we will be there for one of these guys for sure. 

15 hours ago, kliq said:

Not going to lie, if I started watching the Wings in 2010 I likely would have a very low opinion of Ken Holland. I see your perspective.

I'm 35 and started watching the Wings in 1991 when I was 9. From there I pretty much watched them get better and better with high's and low's in between until about 2009 (FU Pens). 

The 2008 cup IMO is Holland's most impressive feat, he essentially re-built on the fly without the team really losing a step even with losing Hull, Robitaille, Shanny, Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov and Hasek. I think this is why he refuses to truly sell now, as he has re-built on the fly before successfully in the cap era, the problem is that now he is locking up a lot of average to slightly above average players to long terms deals, back then he was locking up Datsyuk, Z, Kronwall, Franzen etc.

Since 2010 its been pretty much downhill, though I am exited for the future. We just need to obtain some elite talent, hopefully a one or at least a few of Larkin, AA, Mantha, Chowolski, Hronek, Rasmussen etc. can become that.

I think what makes the Rasmussen pick so hard to swallow is the fact that Vilardi was still available. Had Vilardi gone earlier, I dont think anyone other then maybe @LeftWinger has an issue. We needed a center. 

No, I would've been torn...and I was, but I would've been extremely happy with Vilardi. Leave it to Holland to disappoint everyone.

1 hour ago, Juklitz said:

I just hope they know what they are doing with Ras. 

Anyway, teplate was quite visible this draft - big body scoring centre / D replacing Ericsson. 

Let´s meet in 365 day to celebrate Dahlin / Merkley, if not young Svech. I believe we will be there for one of these guys for sure. 

Hopefully it'll be a new GM choosing that day.

4 hours ago, Echolalia said:

I wonder how quickly this kid will get to the NHL (assuming he does).  The idea of him and Mantha protecting the puck on the same team, potentially the same line is exciting to think about 

3 years if they want him to develop is 5 on 5 game. 1 year if they don't care about the 5 on 5 and want him on PP asap.

Edited by kickazz

4 hours ago, Echolalia said:

I wonder how quickly this kid will get to the NHL (assuming he does).  The idea of him and Mantha protecting the puck on the same team, potentially the same line is exciting to think about 

Well he'll play one more season in the W next year, and hopefully he rips it up (he should). He will then likely get a look in the playoffs with Grand Rapids (depending how Tri-City does next season). He will turn pro after that, and I would expect a season or two, depending how he adapts to the pro game. If all goes well, I hope we see him up full time by the half way point of the 2019-20 season...

37 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Well he'll play one more season in the W next year, and hopefully he rips it up (he should). He will then likely get a look in the playoffs with Grand Rapids (depending how Tri-City does next season). He will turn pro after that, and I would expect a season or two, depending how he adapts to the pro game. If all goes well, I hope we see him up full time by the half way point of the 2019-20 season...

He has two more seasons in junior before he can go GR (aside from late season after TC is done), though that doesn't necessarily affect your timetable. 

52 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I would if work let me bring my laptop in. I'm not even supposed to be on my phone moat of the time I post on here with Tapatalk.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Love that dedication. Your hardcore man. I dont wanna tell you how many screens ive got on my work pc at this point :confused: Ive gotten soft. 

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Video didn't show up on Tapatalk

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Ah makes sense. Don't really know anything about tapatalk.. do links show up? The mobile site is pretty great also, if that works on your phone?

Erik Karlsson Is A Garbage Pick

"That's a garbage pick. They could have had him in the second round."

"Karlsson won't play in the NHL for a year or two or three, if he ever does. Real tough to get excited about him now."

"He was one of the five players the Senators had on their list, but apparently not the top one still available when it was their turn to pick."

Article from when Karlsson was drafted. Just wanted to illustrate how little we actually know about the draft or our own picks at this point in time. Many moaned about the Bertuzzi pick back when, and those fans are eating crow now, like this guy is eating crow on Karlsson. The Wings have shown that when they reach down the list for guys it's usually for good reason. I think this draft was a crap shoot, and that we might see guys from all over the board in the first round succeed and fail. I think the true reach was Lindstrom in the 2nd round. Hoping he turns into another Bertuzzi type pickup.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Article from when Karlsson was drafted. Just wanted to illustrate how little we actually know about the draft or our own picks at this point in time. Many moaned about the Bertuzzi pick back when, and those fans are eating crow now, like this guy is eating crow on Karlsson. The Wings have shown that when they reach down the list for guys it's usually for good reason. I think this draft was a crap shoot, and that we might see guys from all over the board in the first round succeed and fail. I think the true reach was Lindstrom in the 2nd round. Hoping he turns into another Bertuzzi type pickup.

I'm hoping he turns into another Lidstrom type pickup...

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

A lot of faith in a guy that isn't dominating in the AHL and has done nothing in the NHL. The problem with Bert isn't that we drafted him, its that he was a projected 5th round guy and we used a 2nd on him. We could have had Bert and another player like Fasching or Hayden, etc.....

17 minutes ago, Richdg said:

A lot of faith in a guy that isn't dominating in the AHL and has done nothing in the NHL. The problem with Bert isn't that we drafted him, its that he was a projected 5th round guy and we used a 2nd on him. We could have had Bert and another player like Fasching or Hayden, etc.....

And here come the Bertuzzi haters lol...

Just because CSS or whoever had Bertuzzi projected as a 5th, doesn't mean the Wings or 29 other teams didn't have him a lot higher.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Fasching and Hayden haven't done much at all at the NHL level. Bertuzzi just carried his AHL team to a Calder Cup championship, won the Butterfield trophy as the leagues MVP, set a franchise record for playoff scoring, and is a much more rounded player than former AHL standouts like Pulkkinen.

Keep up that 2013 narrative while you have it though, you don't have much time until Bertuzzi makes the team full-time.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs