• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And here come the Bertuzzi haters lol...

Just because CSS or whoever had Bertuzzi projected as a 5th, doesn't mean the Wings or 29 other teams didn't have him a lot higher.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Fasching and Hayden haven't done much at all at the NHL level. Bertuzzi just carried his AHL team to a Calder Cup championship, won the Butterfield trophy as the leagues MVP, set a franchise record for playoff scoring, and is a much more rounded player than former AHL standouts like Pulkkinen.

Keep up that 2013 narrative while you have it though, you don't have much time until Bertuzzi makes the team full-time.

He is a checker. Nothing wrong with that. Every scouting site in the world had him as a 5th or lower. Many had him not getting drafted. Yes he plays great in the PO's. 3 years in a row. But during the regular season he hasn't been an offensive player. 25 goals in 120+ AHL games. He is a 4th liner in the NHL.

7 minutes ago, Richdg said:

He is a checker. Nothing wrong with that. Every scouting site in the world had him as a 5th or lower. Many had him not getting drafted. Yes he plays great in the PO's. 3 years in a row. But during the regular season he hasn't been an offensive player. 25 goals in 120+ AHL games. He is a 4th liner in the NHL.

Yes, you are correct, he most likely will be a 4th line forward this fall at the age of 22. Making him the youngest player on the team behind only Larkin. Do you think he will remain there for the rest of his career?

Checker? Yeah he can check. He can also score. He's been a scorer at all levels. His first season after being drafted he posted over a point per game season. The next season he put up 98 pts in 68 games, including 43 goals. This last season in GR he looked much more adapted to the pro game and posted 37 pts in 48 games, including a record setting playoff run in scoring. But yeah... he's just a checker lol.

All those scouting sites you follow from behind your computer screen... Guess what? They were wrong. I know this may come as a shock to some people, but the Red Wings scouts ARE better and are privy to MORE information than whoever is compiling the 'reports and mock drafts' you are reading in your den. They took what they believed was the best player available despite your hand wringing and god bless em for it lol.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:03 AM, Hairy Lime said:

When that pick came up I thought, Vilardi or Tippett? I wonder who Holland will take? And then he traded back and took Cholowski. No, wait? Listen, I don't know how this Rasmussen kid will pan out, hope for the best; but one thing is for sure, his career will be compared (at least around here) to Vilardi and Tippett from here on out, fair or not - no, totally fair. The same with Cholowski and Chychrun. And I don't know about you, but a future with Vilardi/Tippett and Chychrun is more tantalizing than the one with Rasmussen and Cholowski. But hey, I'll be more than happy to have my reservations and doubts proven unwarranted (I just don't think they will be). Sorry I can't be more optimistic. 

This guy? ah, you're crazy - with legs like this, he'll never amount to anything. 

I hope Rasmussen wherever he plays has an outstanding year and makes me eat all the negative words I read and said about him.  He was one of the ones I didn't want us to draft mainly because of what Dr Dangles said.  We drafted him and now I'm 100% behind the decision.  I espeacialy liked it when the Wings said he was a great person.  I also like Lindstrom with the second pick. My top five choices for the second round were gone in the first six picks.  I hadn't heard of Gustav but I think now Hakan may have found us a good one.  The more I read about our picks I like all of them.  Ok I have to go now and clean my rose tinted glasses.

I'm a little concerned that our top 10 pick isn't earning consistent time at his natural position in the World Juniors Summer Showcase.  Meanwhile, a number of his peers in this draft class are tearing it up.  Hope it's just lingering affects from his wrist injury and not because we drafted a dud.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'm a little concerned that our top 10 pick isn't earning consistent time at his natural position in the World Juniors Summer Showcase.  Meanwhile, a number of his peers in this draft class are tearing it up.  Hope it's just lingering affects from his wrist injury and not because we drafted a dud.

During prospect camp he couldn't even participate in the scrimmage. I'd assume they don't want him taking too many faceoffs. When I read some of his scouting reports previously, I saw that he was the key faceoff taker on his teams he played on previously; so it could be injury still. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Rasmussen was only medically cleared to play a game 2 weeks before the showcase and he hasn't played a game since January. I wouldn't be too worried about where or how much he plays at the showcase - he's just a guy getting back in game shape.

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-well-represented-at-world-juniors-camp/c-290569582

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Rasmussen was only medically cleared to play a game 2 weeks before the showcase and he hasn't played a game since January. I wouldn't be too worried about where or how much he plays at the showcase - he's just a guy getting back in game shape.

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-well-represented-at-world-juniors-camp/c-290569582

Quite frankly I thought it was good that he was shining in the developmental camp drills even while he's been out of commission since January. Obviously the work ethic and personal conditioning strengths are there. Hockey wise none of us have really seen anything yet and probably won't see him at 100% until mid way through this season, may be even longer. 

It took Mantha an entire season to recover from the broken leg and actually perform at his personal level. Broken wrists are worse. I predict he won't make the AHL squad till the end of the season just as Cholowski didn't. And it won't be because he's not good enough, probably because he's not going to be 100% for a long time. Maybe he'll get some playoffs games with the Griffins. 

Edited by kickazz

21 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Quite frankly I thought it was good that he was shining in the developmental camp drills even while he's been out of commission since January. Obviously the work ethic and personal conditioning strengths are there. Hockey wise none of us have really seen anything yet and probably won't see him at 100% until mid way through this season, may be even longer. 

It took Mantha an entire season to recover from the broken leg and actually perform at his personal level. Broken wrists are worse. I predict he won't make the AHL squad till the end of the season just as Cholowski didn't. And it won't be because he's not good enough, probably because he's not going to be 100% for a long time. Maybe he'll get some playoffs games with the Griffins. 

I might be slightly off on the specifics, but I think there's an agreement between the NHL and the CHL, so that a prospect can't play in the AHL or ECHL until they're 20 years old or played 3 CHL seasons.

But, yeah, that would put Rasmussen's earliest time in the AHL as the playoffs after his season ends. I read somewhere that he's slated to be captain of his WHL team so It seems pretty certain he plays there.

I like the quotes I've read of Ras talking about stealing jobs and making the NHL this year, even if there's pretty much no chance that happens.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not sure about a dud, because I think he may be one of the few you can say is a lock to actually make the NHL, but as far as ceiling, I still think it was somewhat of a dud pick. Rasmussen likely tops out as a 2nd line center, likely a middle 6 center / winger. It wasn't until the past few months that I've come around on the Cholowski pick though, so hopefully both have massive years this season and put up huge numbers in the W.