• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jaymister

World Junior Tournament

Rate this topic

I watched part of three games of the first day of the tournament.  Finland doesn't have the talent level they had the last tournament.  The US is hard to tell as the played  an inferior Latvia team.  Canada looks strong, although goaltending could be their Achilles heal again this year. Sweden and Russia are the other medal contenders.

54 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I know pottelberghe is having a rough go, but those 2 defenders seem to be dominating the OHL. Any reason you dont like?

Not that I don't like them, just not really high on either. They're both somewhat undersized and while size isn't everything, it's very tough to become an impact player in the NHL as a smallish defenseman. This is the first time I've seen Hronek play (outside of Red Wings training camp), hopefully they both have a strong tournament.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I know pottelberghe is having a rough go, but those 2 defenders seem to be dominating the OHL. Any reason you dont like?

Both, especially Saarijarvi, are very small. The Wings really need good strong defenders with some size. I think you can get away with 1 maybe 2 small offensive guys on your blueline if you can pair them with solid shut down guys. To bad the wings dont have any of those in the pipeline. 

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do we have anyone playing besides that crap swiss goalie of ours? 

I've been sceptical, too. He's been lacking consistency for a long time. But I guess this is nothing special for a young goalie. What's encouraging is that he's usually very good when busy. A year ago, he was mighty strong vs. Canada.

The Czech have been all over the Swiss for the 1st period but he didn't seem to care much. Very solid.

He's also improved a lot in Davos. Don't forget that he's playing pro hockey in what's one of europe's best leagues. After some early struggles, he actually seemed to do well there. It's showing now.

As skillset and size were always there, "crap" is quite a statement. He might make you look dumb. We'll see. I say for a 19yo goalie, it's not bad to be the starter of one of europe's best teams outside the KHL.

Edited by poel

22 minutes ago, poel said:

I've been sceptical, too. He's been lacking consistency for a long time. But I guess this is nothing special for a young goalie. What's encouraging is that he's usually very good when busy. A year ago, he was mighty strong vs. Canada.

The Czech have been all over the Swiss for the 1st period but he didn't seem to care much. Very solid.

He's also improved a lot in Davos. Don't forget that he's playing pro hockey in what's one of europe's best leagues. After some early struggles, he actually seemed to do well there. It's showing now.

As skillset and size were always there, "crap" is quite a statement. He might make you look dumb. We'll see. I say for a 19yo goalie, it's not bad to be the starter of one of europe's best teams outside the KHL.

Sounds good.

He might make me look dumb? Sir, I AM DUMB

Solid game by Hronek and van Pottelberghe. Hronek played 22:29 and had 1 assist on the PP. Looked solid but took two ill advised penalties.

van Pottelberghe looked calm and solid, backing up the upward trend. Saved 92,31%, 36 in total.

Edited by poel

Looks like Pottelberghe in again vs Sweden. Might not be clever to play a goalie, who's biggest problem appears to be consistency, back to back with only about 24h between the games. Matteo Ritz is a fantastic option...after the win vs the Czechs he would have been the obvious choice. But we'll see...

Another solid one for the "crap goalie" who has been under siege all game long. Terrible performance by the Swiss. Van Pottelberghe showed well though and made 42 Saves. 91,30%.

1 hour ago, poel said:

Another solid one for the "crap goalie" who has been under siege all game long. Terrible performance by the Swiss. Van Pottelberghe showed well though and made 42 Saves. 91,30%.

Good job crap goalie! Keep it up!

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Van Pottelberghe stands on his head one game and can't stop a beach ball the next game...

that shot looks like a cutter, perhaps he was a bit overconfident. Lucky goal for the Russians, though

Edited by NerveDamage

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Van Pottelberghe stands on his head one game and can't stop a beach ball the next game...

Sorry, what?

He used to be like that but in this tournament and also lately for Davos, he was very good. If there's one thing you can criticize it would be his rebound control. He gave away some dangerous ones. But that would be complaining on quite a high level.

I didn't notice one mistake. He was very calm and sharp despite being asked to play all 5 games including two back to backs, one OT and one shootout. His numbers don't look good against Denmark and the US but there's little he could have done about it. He had no support in the 1st against the Danes...was left all alone. Against the US he also had no chance. If I'm right, they score only with rebounds and deflections...two of them on the PP. The 1st shouldn't have been possible anyway as the refs missed a clear call and another one shortly after.

Van Pottelberghe was named one of Switzerland's Top3 of the tournament and rightfully so. He deserves it. Played exceptionally well behind a defense that didn't exist apart from Siegenthaler, Karrer and sometimes Gross.

I fully expect him to come over in 1,5 or 2,5 years to be starter for Grand Rapids.

Edited by poel

2 hours ago, poel said:

Sorry, what?

He used to be like that but in this tournament and also lately for Davos, he was very good. If there's one thing you can criticize it would be his rebound control. He gave away some dangerous ones. But that would be complaining on quite a high level.

I didn't notice one mistake. He was very calm and sharp despite being asked to play all 5 games including two back to backs, one OT and one shootout. His numbers don't look good against Denmark and the US but there's little he could have done about it. He had no support in the 1st against the Danes...was left all alone. Against the US he also had no chance. If I'm right, they score only with rebounds and deflections...two of them on the PP. The 1st shouldn't have been possible anyway as the refs missed a clear call and another one shortly after.

Van Pottelberghe was named one of Switzerland's Top3 of the tournament and rightfully so. He deserves it. Played exceptionally well behind a defense that didn't exist apart from Siegenthaler, Karrer and sometimes Gross.

I fully expect him to come over in 1,5 or 2,5 years to be starter for Grand Rapids.

I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than me on Van Pottelberghe, so I'll take your word for it. I honestly haven't watched a single Switzerland game so far this year, and only watched one last year against Canada, which he looked great. My comment was purely tongue in cheek based on the fact that I know he's had solid numbers so far in this tournament, and then seeing that video that Nerve posted... hence the "can't stop a beach ball" comment...

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more than me on Van Pottelberghe, so I'll take your word for it. I honestly haven't watched a single Switzerland game so far this year, and only watched one last year against Canada, which he looked great. My comment was purely tongue in cheek based on the fact that I know he's had solid numbers so far in this tournament, and then seeing that video that Nerve posted... hence the "can't stop a beach ball" comment...

he could be the second coming of Howard, lol

CA6UpLxWgAADuzU.jpg

21 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Great. But why would you blame van Pottelberghe for a Russian goal? :ok:

You're absolutely right. I mentioned it already...consistency used to be his biggest problem. I mentioned it here after the draft. I was excited the redwings drafted a Swiss player but at the same time was the first one to be sceptical. He just never seemed to get it together as a kid. But then again, that's not unusal for a young goalie. I guess it was Hakan Andersson's input that lead to Holland drafting van Pottelberghe who played junior hockey in Sweden. Andersson is usually a pretty reliable source and van Pottelberghe always had the tools.

He was great over the last few weeks. Short sample size, but still impressive. As I said...turning pro probably helped him after early struggles. In Davos he gets to work with a pretty good staff.