• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

What would you do if you were GM

Rate this topic

Lets not make this thread about Ken Holland or the Illitch Family. The question I ask, is what would you do if you were the GM of the Wings assuming you had full control, and 100% backing by ownership for whatever you wanted to do. From firing or keeping the coach to trading away players to singing UFA's, what specific moves would you do?

Edited by kliq

I posted the following in a different thread, but its more relevant here:

I do think it is time that we trade some vets, not all but definitely some. The four I would start with are Howard, Vanek, Smith and Green. I think all can get a return, and I feel that they are not needed if we continue with a re-build. Not to mention all will be gone in 2 years once our kids will be ready to take it to the next level.

I would keep Abby/Helm, I think both are good vets to have on the team to play with the kids, its no different that TO keeping Bozak. Plus we have both long term.

I would trade Ott and Miller to a team looking for 4th line depth, though I cant see us getting much more then a late round pick if that. I would even take future considerations.

I would trade E in a heart beat, but I dont think we could pull that off.

I would keep Zetterberg, I fully admit I have an attachment there and want to see him end his career here. 

Kronwall is going to be on LTIR soon IMO, I dont think he is tradable. 

I would trade Nielsen if he was willing to waive his no-movement clause.

Nyquist/Tatar, I am very conflicted on. 

Discuss the internal prices for every(!) player and if they are met or close to be met that player is gone.

Let it be known leaguewide by leeking it to Dreger, MacKenzie and Lebrun who is available and give them a hint at the price-tag and needs of the team. Of course if the name is Larkin, Mantha others have to pay a lot next category is AA, Danny D.

Hire Gallant as an assistant and give Blashill till the trade dead line to develop the young guys without looking at the standings too much.

Start looking at the top 10 picks and prepare for every possible scenario. Send scouts to Winnipeg (Trouba), Anaheim (Fowler) and work the phones till something gets done. Call up Bertuzzi and other AHL talent and evaluate if they could be part of the rebuild.

Trade Vanek, Green as long as their value is high and create as much cap space as possible to take advantage of teams in cap hell come next June.

Prepare for a successor and offer to take more of a Burke, Linden or Nichelson role once my contract is up.

So the plan would be:
1. evaluation of everyone and everything, including scouts responsible for defenseman.
2. everyone no exception is available
3. get as many prospects, picks as possible
4. play the kids and get the best possible lottery odds

5 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

So the plan would be:
1. evaluation of everyone and everything, including scouts responsible for defenseman.
2. everyone no exception is available
3. get as many prospects, picks as possible
4. play the kids and get the best possible lottery odds

Pretty much this.

...Though, leaning on the kids might actually hurt our lottery chances, compared to our current trajectory.

I wrote before this season that we would not make the playoffs and that it would not be close. Still, I was hoping that we could pull it off and be competitive, in the best of world facing Tampa bay in round 1 and beating them handily as revenge for the last two playoffs.

I have now just past christmas come to grips with that we are done for. It is highly unlikely we'll squeeze in and most likely would fizzle out immidiately even if so.

With that said, as a GM for the Wings, I would be looking to tank. That would involve moving Vanek, Smith, Howard, Green, Tatar and/or Nyquist for draft picks or young talent. I would be focusing on the young guns, keeping AA, Larkin, Mantha, Mrazek, DD as the core, backed up by Abby and Zetterberg.

Fire Blashill.

Fire Martin.  They started signing the crap contracts after they hired him to be their capologist.

Put out the word that EVERYONE is available at the right price.  The right price for some is a lot, but I'd move Larkin or anyone else if it meant getting a #1 D-man.  Guys like Ericsson, Helm, and the rest of the bad contracts can be had for a conditional 7th.

Tell the new coach that I want to see Jurco on a scoring line for at least 15 games, and I expect him to let the kids play even if they have a bad period or have some defensive issues.  I want to see what the kids can do.

Do a serious evaluation of the scouting staff and get rid of anyone who isn't pulling their weight.  I'd focus on making sure I have the best possible scouts and pay them well.

After seeing Scotty and his assistants last night. I would see if they would take Babcock style money to run the team till the trade deadline and tell me who needs to get booted/kept.  I would then take a position upgrade to VP or something similar and hire another GM. Then I have washed my hands of the issue and my "legacy" is still awesome. 

as far as contract redos if Luca isn't available let Kocur and Mac take care of the issue.  

18 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Move #3: Howard to Vancouver for a 6th round pick next year + pay 1/2 of Howard's contract cap hit.

Howards cap hit is 5.3 million. Trading Howard for a 6th round pick is essentially giving him away, and if you pick up half of his caphit that means you are still paying 2.65 mil. Bring in another goalie at even 1 mil per year, that becomes 3.65. So all that to save 1.65mil? I would rather keep Howard as a backup.

So first Holland is gone, so half my problems are solved.

#1 Try to snipe Anaheim or Nashville's defense scouting and development group. This team hasn't developed a real top pairing D-man in over a decade.

#2 Trade the any of the following in such a way that prospects/picks come back: Abdelkader, Tatar, Nyquist, Smith, Nielsen, Helm, Howard, AA, and Jurco. These are all complementary pieces. None solve any problem Detroit has now or in the future.

#3 Play the next two years as a total youth movement. The team won't make the playoffs, but high draft picks, chemistry and experience>>>>first round exits.

#4 Move Blashill back to GR, he was great there. Find a coach that has already handled transitions before.

#5 Continue to rebuild until the team is closer to the floor than the ceiling. Once cap flexibility has returned then start to move towards contention through FA/Trades.

I would fire Blashill if we keep losing. I'd be willing to bet my left hand that the players are pointing fingers at him. The relationship is most likely going sour. It's not that Blash is bad but removing him is more of a "psychological" solution for the players sake. This is common practice in the corporate and administrative world. CEOs are fired to show the buyers that the company is headed in a better direction even if the CEO isn't at fault. 

Then bring in a new WELL ESTABLISHED NHL coach. 

The rest is whatever you guys are saying in the previous posts. 

1. Either unload all the long term contracts for draft picks and rebuild the entire roster the next 5 years with kids.

- Keep Zetterberg for sentimental reasons, we owe it to him to finish his career here. 

2. Or get rid of SOME contracts and do a semi-rebuild and try to be a top 10 team in the next 3 years. 

3. Beg Scotty Bowman to come back and become a consultant. Offer him some cookies if needed. 

For #3 find a cloning machine and bring this version back. Poor guy is 83 now. 

scotty-bowman-02.jpg

Edited by kickazz

Trade Sheahan, Jurco, Mraz, Tatar, Smith, and Nyquist. In packages or all single trades if i have to. Whatever works.

In return seek a steady back up goalie for Howard. Someone who wont be demanding huge bucks in the near future. At least 2 Dmen that I believe can help the team. And 1-2 forwards that can help the team. Ideally 1 higher end forward and then promote from within. And if theres any left over value bring in some extra draft picks.

Retool the entire structure of the team on the fly.

FYI I want to keep Green and Vanek bc they are good. I see Nielsen and Ericsson as untradeable due to NTC. I want to keep Zberg and Kronwall bc i am a man of honor. And i feel Abby and Helm wont get the return i want, so just keep them as lockerroom leaders and roleplayers.

47 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

1st order of business.

Have the Lidstrom boys mate with the Yzerman girls.

Super-Hockey-Freaks-Of-Nature will don the Winged Wheel.

That and Datsyuk has a 2 year old daughter and Zetterberg had a 1 year old son. 

With Datsyuk's magical hands and Zetterbergs will power. Ooof might be a freak of nature player.

Hmm... As a GM I would push for them to get married. 

Edited by kickazz

1. Fire Blashill and hire Todd Richards with the understanding that he will play the kids, in their right positions, regardless of how the season turns out. Line combos and depth chart are his decision, Larkin and AA at center are non negotiable.   

2.  Trade Dekeyser, Svechnikov, and a 2nd for Dougie Hamilton.

3. Trade Vanek, Ott, Miller, at the deadline for picks if out of playoff contention by the deadline.

4. Draft best possible center.

5.  Reassess next year after seeing whether a coaching change improves our offensive output.

11 hours ago, kickazz said:

That and Datsyuk has a 2 year old daughter and Zetterberg had a 1 year old son. 

With Datsyuk's magical hands and Zetterbergs will power. Ooof might be a freak of nature player.

Hmm... As a GM I would push for them to get married. 

Wow, you're a major stalker.    :ph34r:

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

1. Fire Blashill and hire Todd Richards with the understanding that he will play the kids, in their right positions, regardless of how the season turns out. Line combos and depth chart are his decision, Larkin and AA at center are non negotiable.   

2.  Trade Dekeyser, Svechnikov, and a 2nd for Dougie Hamilton.

3. Trade Vanek, Ott, Miller, at the deadline for picks if out of playoff contention by the deadline.

4. Draft best possible center.

5.  Reassess next year after seeing whether a coaching change improves our offensive output.

That seems like a lot for Hamilton.  The fact that Boston traded him and now Calgary is apparently open to moving him sends up red flags for me.  Generally when a kid with that much potential is moved twice by that age, it's a bad sign.