• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Frans Nielsen will represent Red Wings at NHL All-Star Game

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

This is a good point. I do think he's deserving, but that may be too much too soon for what is essentially still a prospect by our organizations standards.

I've been thinking this for a while. The current format is stupid on many levels.

It's smart from a business standpoint.  You don't want to discourage people in certain markets from watching.  That's the idea, which I understand.  Sports are a business. 

23 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Funny enough they're talking about this on NHL network right now. Some analyst was talking about the stat comparison between Nielsen and Zetterberg, and then said this might be one of those situations where "Zetterberg gave the nudge to Ken Holland who gave the nudge to the league" or something like that.

I've heard in the past that the franchise (Ken Holland) did the same thing for Z (either 2010 or 2011), I'd have to dig up the article but I'm fairly certain TSN reported that Holland requested the league to keep Z out of the game due to "bumps and bruises" if I remember the phrase. 

Now that I think about it though, Nielsen will be an excellent representation for the Red Wings for the breakaway/shootout challenge. He was after all the best shootout guy in the league (is he still?), better than Datsyuk was as far as numbers go. 

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This is all speculation on my part, but I think it's possible he came into the AHL with a bit of an ego after his junior career.  I think a little bit of adversity went a long way with him.  I'd hate to see him start thinking things were easy so early in his NHL career.  Let him dominate next season and get picked for the All-Star game based on his play and not by default. 

Definitely with you here. You can't ignore all the talk about his work ethic when he was scouted, not that I'm saying there ever actually was an issue, but to ignore it when developing a player would be fairly stupid. Adversity probably was good for him, I feel like we're seeing the benefits now.

Yeah, Z is obvious choice (with Howard's injured), but he probably wants the rest. He was actually a game-time decision for a recent game (think it was the Arizona game), so he must be dealing with one of those mid-season injuries or maybe just the running back problem. We really need him to stay healthy so I'm sure they would try to get him some rest.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'm glad Mantha isn't going.  I want to see him keep that fire going.  Don't want him resting on his laurels.  He is definitely more deserving though.  I just want to see him getting too much too soon by way of accolades. 

That's a good point. It might just be a good idea to keep rookies away from the all-star games since they have enough to deal with and get used to in their first year in the league and the grind of a full season. The all-star game is as much a media event as anything and that could be a distraction.

Actually, didn't Larkin start to slow down after he played the all-star game last year. I'm not really going to blame just that game, but he talked about being a bit overwhelmed with the grind of the 82 game season and it couldn't have helped to throw in extra travel, media attention, etc just when you're starting to feel the effects of that.

10 goals/25 points for Vanek in 29 games.. would've thought he'd go over Nielsen (8 goals/22 points in 40 games). 

Edit: or even manthas 11/19 in 25... no offense to Nielsen but I wonder why they chose him over those two.

Edited by amato

What a freaking joke we look like. I rather have no one. Anyone saying at least we can rest our guys? Rest for what the 5th overall pick!?

Resting so some veterans (Green, Vanek) aren't getting hurt so they won't be injured come trade dead line.

I fully agree, whoever came up with the idea that every team should have a player in it probably doesn't understand the legal definition of an All Star. Best thing would be to scrap it altogether and come up with some better format in the coming years.

Btw. wow didn't know Toews is already 29 felt like yesterday when he came into this league, time is flying fast..Also I would at least wait till the playoffs before writting one of the best players - exception this year so far - in the game of.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Wow.

I would have been so down to do that. Sheahan or Jurco. 

it would've been wasted effort. we should've done it with Mrazek. It may help pump his value a bit before trade deadline.

Edited by ami

4 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

Whoever made this decision had to be as high as a kite. Nielsen has been a disappointment compared to the contract he signed. Only 22 pts and -12. Mantha is the only healthy player on the roster who deserves to go. 19 pts in 25 games  and a team best +11. Had Howard been healthy he would be going though.

Contract has nothing to do with it, you don't pick all stars based on whether or not their output is equal to their contract. With that being said, I agree he was a bad choice. I thought Zetterberg should have made it, though I have a feeling it was known he wouldnt go. If not him, I would have picked Mantha.

anyone is going to watch it? I can barely stand wings games televised on nbc due thei commentators team.
so F ASG, F pierre, F eddie, and above all F roenick.

Edited by ami

I haven't watched this event since there were actual stars involved.  That was probably 15 years ago, give or take.  Glad Hank is not going.  I think the NHL has to have one player from each team, right?  I would have picked Vanek over Nielsen, but I doubt any of the players care.  They would rather go to the beach or somewhere warm and goof off/rest.

1 hour ago, ami said:

anyone is going to watch it? I can barely stand wings games televised on nbc due thei commentators team.
so F ASG, F pierre, F eddie, and above all F roenick.

I flat out refuse to watch it this year. I almost find it embarrassing. We are a Cap team, and the best we bring to an All Star game is Frans Flipping Nielsen. Sadly, it's not even his fault. Not that I hate Nielsen, but damn, this is really the best we can do? Sad truth to it, that we suck that bad.

2 hours ago, puckloo39 said:

I haven't watched this event since there were actual stars involved.  That was probably 15 years ago, give or take.  Glad Hank is not going.  I think the NHL has to have one player from each team, right?  I would have picked Vanek over Nielsen, but I doubt any of the players care.  They would rather go to the beach or somewhere warm and goof off/rest.

I'm guessing you haven't watched since this happened.

20 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I might be alone here saying this, but having at least 1 player represent any NHL team is like handing out 'participation medals'.

I'd be ok with no player representing Detroit if it meant a more deserving player from another team had the opportunity to play.

It's also a way to try to ensure people from every hockey market tune into the all star game and maximize their ratings 

43 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Fran's Nielsen nhl all star , sounds like another Rory Fitzpatrick debacle ... He should enjoy his first all star game cause it'll be his last

holland should use  this to trade him and keep vanek ... Vanek is a perfect fit 

That's not fair.  He was a good player before he came to Detroit.  

34 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

That's not fair.  He was a good player before he came to Detroit.  

Agreed, he was a good player and is still producing at close to his normal pace as well.  But he wasn't all star caliber, isn't now and likely never will be.  I agree with the sentiment though as the comment about him was a knock against him, so maybe to harsh, but there is truth behind it (good player, not all star).