• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Frans Nielsen will represent Red Wings at NHL All-Star Game

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, hankzet40 said:

To be fair so is Jonathan Toews. Either way though it's a strange pick. Figured Larkin or Mantha at least.

Toews just admitted he's not deserving of going.  The whole all star thing is lost on me at this point.  

17 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Toews just admitted he's not deserving of going.  The whole all star thing is lost on me at this point.  

That's good, I was going to say that I can't figure out why some continue to hold him in such high regard.  He's a great player, but there have been people arguing that he's the best player in the game...I just couldn't go nearly that far.  And this year, I get that he's way more than just a point producer, but you need to at least produce some points to be considered an all star (especially a forward)...and he's producing next to nothing this year + on top of all that, CHI already has 3 others going.  Crosby wasn't picked last year, which looked questionable at the time, but even worse by the end of the year.....so if they have no problem not picking him, why is there such a need to put Toews in the game?

Edit: I should have asked, is there the same sort of aura around Toews in the US as there is in Canada?  All the discussions I hear around him being the best or one of the best are from Canadian sources, so perhaps he's not played up quite as much in the US.

Edited by toby91_ca

1 minute ago, toby91_ca said:

That's good, I was going to say that I can't figure out why some continue to hold him in such high regard.  He's a great player, but there have been people arguing that he's the best player in the game...I just couldn't go nearly that far.  And this year, I get that he's way more than just a point producer, but you need to at least produce some points to be considered an all star (especially a forward)...and he's producing next to nothing this year + on top of all that, CHI already has 3 others going.  Crosby wasn't picked last year, which looked questionable at the time, but even worse by the end of the year.....so if they have no problem not picking him, why is there such a need to put Toews in the game?

"The more Blackhawks the merrier! Everyone loves them!" - NHL

Whoever made this decision had to be as high as a kite. Nielsen has been a disappointment compared to the contract he signed. Only 22 pts and -12. Mantha is the only healthy player on the roster who deserves to go. 19 pts in 25 games  and a team best +11. Had Howard been healthy he would be going though.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm glad Zetterberg isn't going, he could use the rest. He'd probably just turn it down anyway, ending up in a suspension...

I wouldn't be surprised if thats what happens every year around this time.  That or the league knows he'll turn them down and so they request someone else go.  I mean hes only been selected to go twice right?  2007 and 2008, and he didn't end up going either time. 

34 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Edit: I should have asked, is there the same sort of aura around Toews in the US as there is in Canada?  All the discussions I hear around him being the best or one of the best are from Canadian sources, so perhaps he's not played up quite as much in the US.

He's overrated for sure.  Just last year, NBCN ranked him second on their all-time captain list.  I don't mean right now.  I mean all-time!  Ahead of anyone besides Beliveau.  Chicago fans have dumbed down the league for everyone.    

He's a good two-way player, but his offensive game is not very good considering he should be in his prime years.    

38 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

He's overrated for sure.  Just last year, NBCN ranked him second on their all-time captain list.  I don't mean right now.  I mean all-time!  Ahead of anyone besides Beliveau.  Chicago fans have dumbed down the league for everyone.    

He's a good two-way player, but his offensive game is not very good considering he should be in his prime years.    

I stayed away from using the word "overrated" because I didn't want to make it sound like I thought he wasn't a good player.  But I do agree, he is overrated.  The best player in the world can be overrated, so that's how I'll try to ensure I'm not slamming the guy.  He's a great player, not just good, he is great (having a down year though).  I do think he's overrated though, purely because he's rated so high be at least some people.

Edit: just a couple sources in terms of where Toews has been rated: Toronto Sun, Oct 2016 rated him #8, #2 the year before.  TSN rated him (Oct 16) as #7 and the following for each year prior: 2, 2, 3, 6, 8, 3....I'm mean...really?

Edited by toby91_ca

1 hour ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Not Zetterberg? I was so sure it was going to be him.

Probably turned it down if that sort of stuff happens. But I don't think it does. At best perhaps an exception for older players to keep their health in consideration. 

-----------

I'm glad people are seeing that Toews has been an overrated player and held on a pedestal. Hell I'm glad Toews himself admits he doesn't deserve it.

I've been bitching about how overrated he is for like 3 years. Might be the MOST overrated player since he entered the league. 

Edited by kickazz

If captain serious wasn't a Blackhawk I think he would get more respect. Yes, the guy has a down year but - it pains me to say it - he is a tremendous leader and an absolute stud when it counts the most...in the playoffs. Him admitting that he doesn't deserve it this year just shows how mature this kid is.

If I were him I'd "receive" an injury and go on vacation to get away from hockey and let Panarin or Seabrook take my spot.

I'm glad Mantha isn't going.  I want to see him keep that fire going.  Don't want him resting on his laurels.  He is definitely more deserving though.  I just want to see him getting too much too soon by way of accolades. 

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

I wouldn't be surprised if thats what happens every year around this time.  That or the league knows he'll turn them down and so they request someone else go.  I mean hes only been selected to go twice right?  2007 and 2008, and he didn't end up going either time. 

Officially picked in 07 and 08 and didn't appear for injury. And in 2010 and/or 2011 they requested NHL not to have him on initial roster so he could rest. Post 2006 his back was tweaked so I think they did what the could to keep him out of those games. I remember reading a lot of articles on the All-star stuff and how certain players somehow got out of it.  I don't know if I believe it. Anyways, particularly on Z I think LebBrun from TSN talked a bit about it. 

15 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

If captain serious wasn't a Blackhawk I think he would get more respect. Yes, the guy has a down year but - it pains me to say it - he is a tremendous leader and an absolute stud when it counts the most...in the playoffs. Him admitting that he doesn't deserve it this year just shows how mature this kid is.

If I were him I'd "receive" an injury and go on vacation to get away from hockey and let Panarin or Seabrook take my spot.

He's not a kid Frank, he's almost 29 years old lol. He better act mature...  You act like he's still that 20 year old captain or something. And he's been trending downwards for the last 3 years. He's probably exiting his prime. Just hope he doesn't turn into the next Dustin Brown but he's headed that way with his point production. 

Edited by kickazz

50 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Edit: just a couple sources in terms of where Toews has been rated: Toronto Sun, Oct 2016 rated him #8, #2 the year before.  TSN rated him (Oct 16) as #7 and the following for each year prior: 2, 2, 3, 6, 8, 3....I'm mean...really?

Well, you're saying that now because his production has been lower. But even when his production was a tad bit better, it was harder to convince people that he wasn't as good as people made him out to be. The only difference is, now there's better numbers to prove it. 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Not at all. I don't even think Toews is as popular as Kane is to the Blackhawks, although I could be wrong. Impressively Kane still maintains popularity in Chicago with all the accusations made against him. 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm glad Zetterberg isn't going, he could use the rest. He'd probably just turn it down anyway, ending up in a suspension...

You're probably right and I agree. But of any I just thought he should've gotten the nod. Looking at Mantha's numbers, a case could've been made for him as well. Nielsen, while I like him, wasn't the one.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

46 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm glad Mantha isn't going.  I want to see him keep that fire going.  Don't want him resting on his laurels.  He is definitely more deserving though.  I just want to see him getting too much too soon by way of accolades. 

This is a good point. I do think he's deserving, but that may be too much too soon for what is essentially still a prospect by our organizations standards.

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I might be alone here saying this, but having at least 1 player represent any NHL team is like handing out 'participation medals'.

I'd be ok with no player representing Detroit if it meant a more deserving player from another team had the opportunity to play.

I've been thinking this for a while. The current format is stupid on many levels.

Just now, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

This is a good point. I do think he's deserving, but that may be too much too soon for what is essentially still a prospect by our organizations standards.

This is all speculation on my part, but I think it's possible he came into the AHL with a bit of an ego after his junior career.  I think a little bit of adversity went a long way with him.  I'd hate to see him start thinking things were easy so early in his NHL career.  Let him dominate next season and get picked for the All-Star game based on his play and not by default.