• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Vanek, Larkin Out Day to Day

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, kliq said:

Well this sucks. We are a team that struggles to score and we just lost 2 of our best.

Well Jurco, this is your chance to prove yourself.

Vanek is a huge loss, Larkin not so much for me right now. I think Jurco will fill into his spot without noticeable difference. I'd almost say a mental break for Larkin could be a good thing.

Unlike about 5 years ago, not much is being made of Detroit leading the league in man games lost.  Maybe it's because this team doesn't have a lot of talent to begin with.  Still, the health of this team has been terrible this year.  

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Well this sucks. We are a team that struggles to score and we just lost 2 of our best.

Well Jurco, this is your chance to prove yourself.

Drew Miller on the 3rd line to the rescue!

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Unlike about 5 years ago, not much is being made of Detroit leading the league in man games lost.  Maybe it's because this team doesn't have a lot of talent to begin with.  Still, the health of this team has been terrible this year.  

Drew Miller on the 3rd line to the rescue!

Where does Detroit rank in man games lost over the past decade?  It seems were always having this discussion.

Vanek is a huge loss, Larkin not so much for me right now. I think Jurco will fill into his spot without noticeable difference. I'd almost say a mental break for Larkin could be a good thing.

I've said a while back that Larkin needs to sit in the rafters for a few games. He needs a rest and refocus. We need him to be a scorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's Jurco gonna do... nothing, he's had chances, no hope for him. Vanek loss is the killer as we all know. 

And why don't other teams ever lose!!! Every night it's either 1 or 2 points for everyone in the East! One step forward two steps back alright!

2 hours ago, cdjen said:

I've said a while back that Larkin needs to sit in the rafters for a few games. He needs a rest and refocus. We need him to be a scorer.

He's 20 and leading our team in goals. I think he'll be ok. Development isn't a straight line.

1 hour ago, wingfan1991 said:

What's Jurco gonna do... nothing, he's had chances, no hope for him. Vanek loss is the killer as we all know. 

And why don't other teams ever lose!!! Every night it's either 1 or 2 points for everyone in the East! One step forward two steps back alright!

Jurco has shown he can play well in this league before. Giving up on someone so young would not be a wise decision.

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Jurco has shown he can play well in this league before. Giving up on someone so young would not be a wise decision.

Hes spent a heck of a lot more time showing he cant play in this league than he has playing well. 24 and hasnt proven he belongs in the league while being in the last year of his contract. Goodbye please make room for other prospects. 

Vanek needs to stay healthy so they can trade him. 

1 hour ago, GoalieManPat said:

Hes spent a heck of a lot more time showing he cant play in this league than he has playing well. 24 and hasnt proven he belongs in the league while being in the last year of his contract. Goodbye please make room for other prospects. 

Vanek needs to stay healthy so they can trade him. 

So rather than assuming a 24 year old kid can turn it around (hardly older than Mantha), you want to rush another prospect to the NHL (who?), essentially making the same mistake that was made with Jurco. Am I seeing this right?

3 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

So rather than assuming a 24 year old kid can turn it around (hardly older than Mantha), you want to rush another prospect to the NHL (who?), essentially making the same mistake that was made with Jurco. Am I seeing this right?

Frankly 24 is not that young in this scenario. If he was 21 or 22 I'd probably say "well he's got time" but with 24 you're running out of time to prove yourself as it's usually the time your prime kicks in. Around 24/25 was when D and Z recorded their first 30 goal seasons. It was also the age both Tatar and Nyquist record their first career highs. Jurco is lagging bad. Most of it because he's been unable to crack the lineup consistently but regardless the lag is there age wise. What he's been going through is what players at age 21/22 go through (AA, Jonathan Drouin etc). Assuming he has a breakout season in a couple years, that leaves him only 4 good years before he's 30 and declining (if we still use that as an arbitrary benchmark).

On the other hand he could have a breakout season now and score 15-20 goals in 30 something games and he's back on track.

Edited by kickazz

26 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Frankly 24 is not that young in this scenario. If he was 21 or 22 I'd probably say "well he's got time" but with 24 you're running out of time to prove yourself as it's usually the time your prime kicks in. Around 24/25 was when D and Z recorded their first 30 goal seasons. It was also the age both Tatar and Nyquist record their first career highs. Jurco is lagging bad. Most of it because he's been unable to crack the lineup consistently but regardless the lag is there age wise. Assuming he has a breakout season in a couple years, that leaves him only 4 good years before he's 30 and declining (if we still use that as an arbitrary benchmark).

On the other hand he could have a breakout season now and score 15-20 goals in 30 something games and he's back on track.

Why are you comparing Jurco to Zetterberg and Datsyuk or even Nyquist and Tatar. It makes no sense. Jurco obviously isn't, nor ever will be on the same level of Hank and Pav, and he hasn't been given close to the same opportunity as Nyquist and Tatar. Jurco is a very skilled player, that hasn't been given a fair shot. Tons of players don't make NHL rosters until 23/24 years old and go on to have very good NHL careers as middle 6 forwards. Nyquist and Tatar are prime examples. Jurco has all the tools to become a very good middle 6 winger, and whether he makes that happen in Detroit, or with another team is yet to be seen... To give up on a kid with his skill set at his age would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

He's 20 and leading our team in goals. I think he'll be ok. Development isn't a straight line.

And don't forget he is also NEARLY leading the LIGUE and leading the Wings in MINUS with -14.

39 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why are you comparing Jurco to Zetterberg and Datsyuk or even Nyquist and Tatar. It makes no sense. Jurco obviously isn't, nor ever will be on the same level of Hank and Pav, and he hasn't been given close to the same opportunity as Nyquist and Tatar. Jurco is a very skilled player, that hasn't been given a fair shot. Tons of players don't make NHL rosters until 23/24 years old and go on to have very good NHL careers as middle 6 forwards. Nyquist and Tatar are prime examples. Jurco has all the tools to become a very good middle 6 winger, and whether he makes that happen in Detroit, or with another team is yet to be seen... To give up on a kid with his skill set at his age would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

At his age, Nyquist and Tatar scored 28 and 29 goals with less NHL games played. 

My point is Jurco's time is running out, use whoever you want to compare to him. He's 24. That's not that young. 

This has been talked about for 3 years now, under two different coaches and nothing's changed. We can keep talking about it for another 3 years when he's 27.

Edited by kickazz

Again, and I don't know how many times this needs to be said, he hasn't been given a legitimate shot since his rookie year. He's either been put in a role he's not suited for, put on a line with borderline NHL talent, or in and out of the lineup before he can get up to speed. There are few players in the league that would be able to overcome those obstacles, and I don't think there's a player on this team that would be able to, besides Athanasiou and maybe Larkin.

Blashill needs to f*** off giving veterans a pass for terrible play, while punishing the kids for one mistake. Jurco and Sproul need to play. Let them make their mistakes and learn from them. In the end you will have a couple very good players that can help your team in the future...

1 hour ago, Fedorovfan said:

2 scorers out hurt. But, so does the worst power play in 50 years

http://www.wjr.com/news/red-wings-vs-bruins-power-play-is-detroits-worst-in-more-than-50-years/

To put that into perspective, their (team) pace of 31 goals is less than what a single player, Tim Kerr, scored in 85/86 - 34 and what Dave Andreychuk scored in 92/93 - 32.

Another shot for the elusive and this year much slimmed down Jurco. The good old eye test still tells me he has something but it hasn't manifested into anything tangible.

Well, the ship is sinking, it most certainly couldn't hurt putting him in a top 9 position. I'm for it. Worst case scenario he helps us draft in the top 5. And fuels this forum. At any rate I'm getting tired of the elusiveness let's find out what dance moves he got.

Edited by Jacksoni

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Again, and I don't know how many times this needs to be said, he hasn't been given a legitimate shot since his rookie year. He's either been put in a role he's not suited for, put on a line with borderline NHL talent, or in and out of the lineup before he can get up to speed. There are few players in the league that would be able to overcome those obstacles, and I don't think there's a player on this team that would be able to, besides Athanasiou and maybe Larkin.

Blashill needs to f*** off giving veterans a pass for terrible play, while punishing the kids for one mistake. Jurco and Sproul need to play. Let them make their mistakes and learn from them. In the end you will have a couple very good players that can help your team in the future...

And all that might be true but my point is that Jurco isn't that young anymore and his time to "prove" himself is getting less and less.