• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

ADs/LOGOs on jerseys

Rate this topic

And so it begins.. first major US sport to allow ads/logos on jerseys during an actual game, not warmups, etc..

Hopefully this test fails miserably or the NHL will start looking like one of those damn euro leagues. 

http://nypost.com/2017/01/25/general-electric-inks-deal-to-put-logo-on-boston-celtics-jerseys/

I am very against this idea. They have corporate logos on jerseys here in Sweden and I can't stand them.

I still remember the first jersey with a company logo I had to put on as a young kid. I think I was 12 or 13. It made me feel cheap. I remember thinking "what does this company have to do with me or my team?".

Just a rant but I like the jerseys as they are now. I wouldn't wear a wings jersey when skating if ads were on it.

Edited by Jacksoni

I've seen Bettman quotes on this topic in years past when it's come up, with the asinine line of thinking of "Well, advertisements work so well for NASCAR that they could work well for hockey too..."

No sir.  They would not.  I do not want any team in the NHL's jerseys looking like this garbage...
jokerit_gaolie2.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I've seen Bettman quotes on this topic in years past when it's come up, with the asinine line of thinking of "Well, advertisements work so well for NASCAR that they could work well for hockey too..."

No sir.  They would not.  I do not want any team in the NHL's jerseys looking like this garbage...
jokerit_gaolie2.jpg

Jesus, what league is that?  Those jerseys look almost as bad as the ones the Islanders wore in their last game.  

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Jesus, what league is that?  Those jerseys look almost as bad as the ones the Islanders wore in their last game.  

I'm guessing it's a league in Finland, based only on the "Suomen Kuvalehti" in the top right of the picture.  Which, according to google/Wikipedia, it's a Finnish news & family magazine.

The jersey ads are bad enough.  But logos on the defending teams gloves/pads?!

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

jokerit_gaolie2.jpg

You watch jersey sales fall.

This has been going for nearly a year now in the NBA. The 76ers and Kings already announced sponsorship deals with teams last year:

They are small at present, but I absolutely hate the idea. In the UK all the football teams have this massive ad emblazoned on the front of the jersey, taking centre stage. What's worse is how they change the uniform designs literally every season as well, and the sponsors change too sometimes. So as a fan, as soon as you buy the jersey, it'll be obsolete very soon.

Ads will make their way to hockey jerseys, sooner rather than later, and it'll be the last time I buy a jersey if they do....

2 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

it could be way way way worse. I mean take a look at this

a4b5AEy_700b.jpg

Oh man that is genius!

Devil's advocate... that Celtics jersey still looks pretty sweet :ninja: at least the ad fits with the rest of the jersey, unlike those European hockey ones. Guess I'm of a different ilk since in the UK advertising on sports jerseys is commonplace. However saying that, there have always been teams that have, for one reason or another (usually because certain countries have laws against advertising products on tv - mainly alcohol), worn jerseys without sponsors.

Keeping on the green and white theme, Celtic FC sold their jerseys with the option to buy with or without a sponsor - https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/pics-you-can-strangely-order-celtics-new-jersey-with-or-without-the-sponsor-on-the-front-23679

EDIT: Celtic also played the 2012-13 season without a sponsor I believe - https://www.idfootballdesk.com/media/celtic/celtic-players.jpg

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Given their history it's probably Little Caesars Pizza. Remember when everybody wanted the new arena to be named something cool like the "Gordie Howe Arena" or whatever? All the brainiacs were like "they'd be stupid to leave all that corporate money on the table". Then they gave the naming rights to their own corporation. Because clearly Little Caesars needed to raise awareness of their s***ty Hot-n-Ready pizzas.

42 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Given their history it's probably Little Caesars Pizza. Remember when everybody wanted the new arena to be named something cool like the "Gordie Howe Arena" or whatever? All the brainiacs were like "they'd be stupid to leave all that corporate money on the table". Then they gave the naming rights to their own corporation. Because clearly Little Caesars needed to raise awareness of their s***ty Hot-n-Ready pizzas.

Well the helmet is what meijer and b4 that an insurance company or something