• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Nesterov Traded To Montreal

Rate this topic

Habs get: Nikita Nesterov (23 yo D-man with 12 pts in 35 gp)

Tampa gets: Johnathan Racine (23 yo D-man who looks like career AHLer) and 6th round pick

This trade is bizarre to me. Decent young D-man traded to a divisional rival for next to nothing. I get that Tampa would have had to expose Nesterov at the expansion draft, but why give him away to a divisional rival for peanuts? Tampa fans are claiming Nesterov sucks, but I think they're just having a down season as a whole like us.

8 minutes ago, amato said:

I read somewhere they had to waive a D man so they got what they could for one of them, thinking either would get claimed on waivers. Good deal for Montreal; added some depth. 

That would make more sense, but they have a 21 man roster right now. 2 open spots. They did not have to waive him.

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That would make more sense, but they have a 21 man roster right now. 2 open spots. They did not have to waive him.

I didn't look too far into it but they mentioned something about not wanting to carry 8 defenseman 

4 minutes ago, amato said:

I didn't look too far into it but they mentioned something about not wanting to carry 8 defenseman 

They currently have 6 Dmen on their roster and 14 forwards.

They have about 400K in cap space, and Nesterov was a 700K+ cap hit, but they could have sent down one of their waiver exempt forwards in order to keep him and be cap compliant.

IDK, I don't think this deal had to be made.

9 minutes ago, amato said:

He's also an RFA at the end of the year and if they thought they wouldn't re-sign him, maybe that factored in.

Maybe that's it. Tampa is going to have to expose much better players than him at the expansion. So I doubt Yzerman was concerned about losing him there.

Still though, I feel like Steve got fleeced in the return

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Maybe that's it. Tampa is going to have to expose much better players than him at the expansion. So I doubt Yzerman was concerned about losing him there.

Still though, I feel like Steve got fleeced in the return

I don't think he's losing any sleep over it :P 

If I recall,  Nester waited a long time to sign a 1 yr deal. He wanted more, wouldn't sign, finally signed a one year deal. Not sure whether it was through arbitration or not. He wanted more money, of course once you cross Yzerman, you're pretty much doomed. He probably would've caused the same problem next year. He was already on shaky grounds with the GM. Yzerman wasn't having it.

23 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If I recall,  Nester waited a long time to sign a 1 yr deal. He wanted more, wouldn't sign, finally signed a one year deal. Not sure whether it was through arbitration or not. He wanted more money, of course once you cross Yzerman, you're pretty much doomed. He probably would've caused the same problem next year. He was already on shaky grounds with the GM. Yzerman wasn't having it.

Is there a source for any of this or was it just too tempting to keep making it up as you went along? 

I was just going on Steve's history with players that demand things from him. St . Louis and Drouin eggs.  I don't make things up...if I'm wrong I will own up to my wrong, but no, not just making things up. Yzerman is that kind of gm, he learned from Scotty. You crossed Scotty, you were gone. 

Wish we had a gm like that, Tatar, you want out? Bye!

Plus I said, "if I recall." Maybe I'm wrong about the name who held out and refused the contract offer, but that is how Yzerman rolls.

Edited by LeftWinger

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was just going on Steve's history with players that demand things from him. St . Louis and Drouin eggs.  I don't make things up...if I'm wrong I will own up to my wrong, but no, not just making things up. Yzerman is that kind of gm, he learned from Scotty. You crossed Scotty, you were gone. 

Wish we had a gm like that, Tatar, you want out? Bye!

St Louis demanded a trade and was traded, Drouin demanded a trade and was not traded. Those two situations were literally handled completely opposite of each other. 

If Stamkos hadn't of gotten hurt, drouin would've been dealt or at least spent a lot more time in the AHL, where he told Yzerman not to send him or he'll request a trade... St. Louis was pissed about not being selected for team Canada and called Yzerman out on it and said he wouldn't play for him. Out!

You don't play hardball with Yzerman. That's all I'm saying...

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

If Stamkos hadn't of gotten hurt, drouin would've been dealt or at least spent a lot more time in the AHL, where he told Yzerman not to send him or he'll request a trade... St. Louis was pissed about not being selected for team Canada and called Yzerman out on it and said he wouldn't play for him. Out!

You don't play hardball with Yzerman. That's all I'm saying...

Still really don't see how you're using St Louis and Drouin as examples.  

St Louis stood up to Yzerman and got exactly what he wanted. St Louis won that war of wills. Not Yzerman. Was it good for the team in the long-term? Yup but that's not what we're talking about.

Drouin was a completely different situation.  It was over money. Not over playing for Tampa Bay. He stood up to Yzerman, got burned, yet he's still with the organization and looks quite a part of their future. In other words, he didn't get "outed" like you keep implying Yzerman does to difficult players.  Funny that.

Ya, ok.

I guess I totally misunderstood those situations. Wow, mine eyes have seen the glory! Funny THAT. 

Btw, drouin was NEVER about money, it was about playing in the nhl. He requested a trade, refused to play in an AHL game and was being shopped. If not for the injury to Stamkos he'd be gone. Again, you don't play hardball with Yzerman. You want out? He'll ship you out! Same result as St.Louis. 

https://www.google.com/amp/news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/jonathan-drouins-refusal-to-play-ups-the-ante-with-tampa-bay-lighting-in-bid-to-be-traded/amp

Funny this and that! Peace brother!

Edited by LeftWinger