• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shocky2002

Rate Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg's leadership during their runs as C's

Rate this topic

I don't think you can compare the 3, Lidstrom and Zetterberg were captains in the cap era. I'm as big an Yzerman fan as the next guy, but Yzerman benefited from playing when GM's could add as many superstars as their owner could afford.

If it wasnt for Zetterberg we wouldn't have gone as far as we did in 2013 run. 

Not his fault our coaches and players suck. 

Lidstrom and Yzerman had good players to play with.

Lidstrom was overrated as a captain. He had an all star squad around him and didn't really do anything surreal as a leader. They put a "C" on him and he simply wore it. 

Yzerman is a true captain, he lead in points plenty of times, scored game winning goals in the clutchest moments, played on one knee and still was the best player on ice. 

Yzerman was a key player to get us out further from the Dead Wing era. Came to a dead team and was compared to the likes of Lemeux, Gretzky every year on an underdog team. 

Yzerman created the Red Wing legacy, Lidstrom was just a part of it. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

If it wasnt for Zetterberg we wouldn't have gone as far as we did in 2013 run. 

Not his fault our coaches and players suck. 

Lidstrom and Yzerman had good players to play with.

Lidstrom was overrated as a captain. He had an all star squad around him and didn't really do anything surreal as a leader. They put a "C" on him and he simply wore it. 

Yzerman is a true captain, he lead in points plenty of times, scored game winning goals in the clutchest moments, played on one knee and still was the best player on ice. 

Yzerman was a key player to get us out further from the Dead Wing era. Came to a dead team and was compared to the likes of Lemeux, Gretzky every year on an underdog team. 

Yzerman created the Red Wing legacy, Lidstrom was just a part of it. 

Are you for real? Lidstrom played 10 years after Stevie Y retired.  He won multiple norris trophy's and another Stanley Cup.  Lidstrom doesn't hold the same weight as Yzerman did when it comes to the legacy but he was more than just a "part" of it. 

32 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Are you for real? Lidstrom played 10 years after Stevie Y retired.  He won multiple norris trophy's and another Stanley Cup.  Lidstrom doesn't hold the same weight as Yzerman did when it comes to the legacy but he was more than just a "part" of it. 

How does any of that have to do with him being an amazing captain? Lidstrom is arguably considered by some the greatest defenseman of all time. Nobody is arguing how good he was a player and how long he played. The point is Steve Yzerman as a captain is leagues beyond Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Lidstrom. 

Also, Lidstrom played 6 years after Yzerman retired lol. Lidstrom was the captain for only 6 years. 

What did Lidstrom do as a captain that makes him so special? When I think of top captains I think of people like Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Lemieux, Bourque, Messier, Scott Stevens, Mats Sundin, Daniel Alfredsson. These players created a legacy out of those franchises. Guys that helped make their teams something out of nothing. Guys who would play injured and still be the best on ice. Guys who could will their team to a victory when everyone else is ******* up. Scott Stevens was the type of captain that would make an open ice hit, rally the crowd and turn the tide of the game. I question how much poeple actually watched other teams play in the 90s and 00s. I mean I get it, we all love Lidstrom. But he really wasn't that special of a captian. He was good, he did his job and he lead by example. But he didn't do anything that I'd consider as a "holy s***, I want Lidstrom to be my captain" type of thing. When Yzerman scored that double OT goal against St. Louis, he was the talk of the country.

Anyways, I really do think that we as fans overrate Lidstrom as a captain. He was a good captain no doubt, but I'd never consider him a top 10 in NHL history. And I would consider Steve Yzerman top 5, if not top 3.

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Yzerman had better lieutenants by a long way. Shanny, McCarty, Chelios, and Draper were as much a part of it as Yzerman. Lidstrom and Zetterberg didn't have that presence helping them.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

But even in the 80s, Yzerman held his own against the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, and Messier. To me that's very impressive especially since he played on a s***tier team while they played on some of the best teams. Of particular note is the 86/87 season when Yzerman took them to the conference finals. 

Edited by kickazz

^ Exactly. 

My opinion is- 

Yzerman full 10/10

- double OT goal, best player on ice with numberous injuries, helped bring Wings out of Dead Wing era. 

- gave hope to a city that was torn after civil rights movement.

- Joe Louis arena is on Steve Yzerman drive for a reason.

- changed his entire game style for the sake of the team, went from being an offensive forward to defensive forward for the team's sake. 

Zetterberg 8/10

-willed the team to playoffs in 2013 season and scored playoff series OT game winning goal win against Anaheim while we were the udnerdog team without Lidstrom for the first time

- immediately came to play against Boston playoff series in 2014 after back surgery (idk how you can do that and not worry about becoming handicapped)

Lidstrom 7/10

-leader by example, Greatest defenseman of modern era but can't really think of many individual captain-like notable instances. During his captaincy Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg aka the "Euro-Twins" were the faces of the franchise and along with Osgood's incredible play won the Stanley cup in 08.

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Didn't Lidstrom require surgery during the 2009 Cup run when he got speared in the coconutz, but came back to finish the playoffs?

Good call. Full credit on balls surgery. It's not as had as back or knee issues but still, the anxiety must have been crappy. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This could be one of the greatest trolling sentences of all time.  Throw in a "FedErov" honorable mention, and you would have had it.

It's not a troll sentence because I actually believe in that statement, trolls usually spew s*** out to get a rise out of people.

I 100% believe that Yzerman started a legacy in the 80s that was solidified by Scott Bowman, Russian 5 and Lidstrom. But if it wasn't for Yzerman, none of those have fallen into place, Yzerman was the start of it all when he got drafted. An attractive piece that made people think there's some potential with the franchise 

I'm not asking anyone to share my opinion. You can assume it's an opinion and leave it be. 

Does that clarify it for you Jonas? Bill? Axe? Or should we pull out your posts from other threads on your previous accounts and show the mods who you really are ;) ? Show some real troll posts.

Edited by kickazz

Well if we want to go by what players in the lockerroom think then out of the three only Zetterberg won the King Clancy Memorial trophy, which happens to be the "Leadership" award and if I'm not mistaken the players of the team are the ones who nominate their captain. That might be the closest thing to a representation of lockerroom. 

I don't think it's a good representation personally. But that's the closest we'd get aside from player interviews. 

Edited by kickazz

50 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

Ask Shocky if there's a Corsi for that. :lol:

Maybe the "introductory stats class" is needed to actually understand it. ;)

Even though it seems "Under the Bridge" is playing in here, I'll answer.

Yzerman 10/10.  He was a prototypical captain.  Yes, he also had some of the best lieutenants ever assembled to help during the cup runs, but the guy embodied leadership.  Playing injured, after that crazy surgery that realigned his leg bone, the 2OT goal, carrying the franchise on his back during his earlier years, reinventing his game to win championships instead of individual awards, what more can you say?

Lidstrom 8.5/10.  He was one of Stevie's top lieutenants, but with the C led by example.  A Conn Smythe, showing up to practice the day after losing a ******** to a spear by Patrick Sharp, being an unparalleled stabilizing force on the blue line...  He didn't do what Stevie did, but was a damn good captain.

Hank 7.5/10.  He had nowhere near the supporting cast Stevie and Nick did.  Conn Smythe in a playoff run.  "The Shift" during the 2008 finals.  The years of not having high draft picks caught up to the team during his watch, and some questionable signings (Cleary) didn't help, but you can't blame the guy for things beyond his control.  Plus as others mentioned, he has been a warrior in regards to dealing with injuries.

Edited by TheXym

Yzerman almost got traded cause he wouldnt play defense and he had HOF rosters around him. I get it, he was the C during the good times, and you all are full of nostalgia and feeling when ever he gets brought up.

The best captain this team has ever seen is Paul Woods. He led trash rosters on to the ice night in and night out with bravery and grace. Hes not the sexy choice, but he is the best choice for best C.

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Except Federov wasn't a Wings captain so that's where that convo ends lol

Really? I thought he was? :ninja:

that was the point of saying it, he wasn't a captain, yet he was still a better captain than Zetterberg...

were your obvious glasses off when you read that? Sheesh... I am almost insulted you took it as a serious statement.