• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2017 NHLTrade Deadline Discussion

Rate this topic

Simple, do the Wings Buy to try to make the playoffs or SELL to get draft picks and rebuild.  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm just going to say that even though I know he'd fetch us a nice return, how stupid is it to think that one of the most successful UFA signings since Hossa that we've had, and he's probably going to be the first to be traded. I say just hang on to him and then re-sign him after the draft. I bet if you give him between $4M- $5M he'll be super happy to stay.

In sure he would be very happy at that. Hes been good but then again this is also playing for a contract. Call me cynical but I doubt we see the same level of play from in a non contract year on a team that will continue to be bad. Thats not counting the fact he always seems to have some nagging injury this year. Not trading him and signing him does nothing for the long term future of this team. He will be long gone before they are good again so they need to cash in on him now. If he wants to come back after being traded then so be it but they need assets more than an old guy with a history of his play dropping off.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm just going to say that even though I know he'd fetch us a nice return, how stupid is it to think that one of the most successful UFA signings since Hossa that we've had, and he's probably going to be the first to be traded. I say just hang on to him and then re-sign him after the draft. I bet if you give him between $4M- $5M he'll be super happy to stay.

This would be circumventing the expansion draft, in which the Wings would get punished by the league. Vanek has been great. It's also great that he'll be able to bring this team some much-needed assets at the trade deadline. Time for this team to worry about the future instead of the present. 

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I seriously think Holland should ask Z and Kronwall if they'd be interested in trades to contenders. Z has a cap hit of $6M which makes it tough, but he but will probably play only another two years, and maybe only one more year. Kronwall's cap hit of $4.75M is also tough but he will probably retire after next season (when his actual salary will be a manageable $3.5M).  It's difficult to imagine anyone taking on those cap hits, but either guy could be a hell of an addition to a team with Cup aspirations. Kronwall is beaten up and has not had a good season, but he's a playoff-tested defenceman who could log top-four minutes somewhere. Z is still a tremendous player and leader.

51 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

This would be circumventing the expansion draft, in which the Wings would get punished by the league. Vanek has been great. It's also great that he'll be able to bring this team some much-needed assets at the trade deadline. Time for this team to worry about the future instead of the present. 

How is it circumventing it?  Unless he's under contract he doesn't need to be protected and he's free to sign with any team, including Detroit.  There's no rule in place I've seen that said any pending UFA players must be signed by a certain date or they have to be protected if the team wants to re-sign them later.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holland and Yzerman had to pull their shady moves just to get Sakic to send Quincey to Detroit. And he was reportedly not happy about Stevie and Ken doing that. I think it's doubtful we do business with the Avs.

Wait, I'm confused by what you mean. What shady moves are you talking about? Didn't we give a 1st round pick to the Avs for Quincey??? If i'm correct, they are probably still laughing about it and jesus, now they owe us a favor or two right?

3 minutes ago, martyrme19 said:

Wait, I'm confused by what you mean. What shady moves are you talking about? Didn't we give a 1st round pick to the Avs for Quincey??? If i'm correct, they are probably still laughing about it and jesus, now they owe us a favor or two right?

We sent a 1st to Tampa for Quincey. Holland couldn't get the deal done with Sakic, so Yzerman swapped Downie for Quincey, then immediately turned around and swapped Quincey for our 1st. It was obviously a coordinated effort by old pals Yzerman and Holland, and I believe Sakic had some negative comments about it afterward.

19 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

How is it circumventing it?  Unless he's under contract he doesn't need to be protected and he's free to sign with any team, including Detroit.  There's no rule in place I've seen that said any pending UFA players must be signed by a certain date or they have to be protected if the team wants to re-sign them later.

If a team and a player have a handshake deal in place and sign it after the expansion draft, the team will be punished. Sure UFAs can sign after the draft. But if there are cases where there are questions about whether or not a deal was more or less in place before hand, but signed afterward specifically to avoid having to protect the player, the league will investigate. Otherwise, every team would just wait to ink the deal with their players after the expansion draft, which would screw over Vegas pretty hard. Bill Daly has come out and said himself that teams will be punished if caught circumventing the expansion draft in this manner. 

18 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

If a team and a player have a handshake deal in place and sign it after the expansion draft, the team will be punished. Sure UFAs can sign after the draft. But if there are cases where there are questions about whether or not a deal was more or less in place before hand, but signed afterward specifically to avoid having to protect the player, the league will investigate. Otherwise, every team would just wait to ink the deal with their players after the expansion draft, which would screw over Vegas pretty hard. Bill Daly has come out and said himself that teams will be punished if caught circumventing the expansion draft in this manner. 

So say Vegas wants to sign Vanek as their selection from Detroit. They offer him 4 million for 3 years, but Vanek says no, so they enter the expansion draft and select Howard as their Detroit selection. After the expansion Vanek signs with Detroit for 4 million for 3 years, citing his love for the team and the city. Is what we did illegal?

So say Vegas wants to sign Vanek as their selection from Detroit. They offer him 4 million for 3 years, but Vanek says no, so they enter the expansion draft and select Howard as their Detroit selection. After the expansion Vanek signs with Detroit for 4 million for 3 years, citing his love for the team and the city. Is what we did illegal?

Not even close.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Where did you see that the league was going to do that?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

There really is no way of proving it though. Plus, if this is the case, they will have to look into every single UFA that re-signed with their team after the expansion draft. That'd be a lot of investigating.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

There really is no way of proving it though. Plus, if this is the case, they will have to look into every single UFA that re-signed with their team after the expansion draft. That'd be a lot of investigating.

The only way they could prove it would be if someone was dumb enough to put it in writing (ie. an email) or the GM told too many people, but even that is hearsay.

21 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Avs might be moving Duchene and/or Landeskog.  Detroit should be all over that.  I don't want an older guy, but if you can get a higher end forward who is 26 or under, you do it.

Absolutely. I would move our first rounder in a package for either of these guys. They're potential building block for this team and acquiring players of this caliber could help us kick start a rebuild.

1st + Nyquist/Tatar?

I wonder if teams will go crazy to bid for these guys.

Holland is already setting himself up to do nothing or very little at the deadline. He always points to the next beneficial time frame to make trades as "that's where we will make moves". Then when the draft comes the mantra will be pushed to the trade deadline. I bet Vanek gets traded for a pick/prospect, and Smith for a mid to late pick. There will be no big moves that signal a rebuild, and the company line will be "we were only a few games away from the playoffs. There is no need to blow things up".  Until Holland is replaced we will continue to sign anchor contracts, and  see very few moves to make this team better. 

11 minutes ago, JPT said:

Absolutely. I would move our first rounder in a package for either of these guys. They're potential building block for this team and acquiring players of this caliber could help us kick start a rebuild.

1st + Nyquist/Tatar?

I wonder if teams will go crazy to bid for these guys.

That wouldn't be close to enough to get either of those guys, and we just don't have the pieces the Avs are looking for, outside of major overpayment. Colorado are looking for a top 2-3 defenseman in his prime, something we don't have to offer them. If we're making any sort of trade of that magnitude, we also need to be going hard after a top pair defenseman. I'd go after an elite center, but only after we get our D straightened out. Wingers are the one thing we don't need, no thanks on Landeskog...

Trade Vanek, assuming he's healthy. Hope to get some combination of 1st / 2nd / prospect.

Shop Green, possibly hold on to him until next year's deadline, although I'd prefer trade him before the expansion draft. Hope to get, again, some combination of 1st / 2nd / prospect.

Shop Smith. Hope to get a mid round pick.

Shop Ott. Hope to get a late round pick.

I'd throw out other names as well, but I'd look to make more trades in the summer if possible, involving Howard, Ericsson, Nyquist, Tatar, etc...